Interesting article on salt and mineral blocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting article on salt and mineral blocks

Forgive me if this has been discussed to death (I am new), but I just came across the article below and was wondering what folks thought of it.

I was considering SOME kind of Spring supplement (in addition to cotton seed) since I know that the soil in the S. Tx area where I hunt is deficient in sodium.

We mix dicalcium phosphate with trace mineral salt in our feed pens as well as use trophy rocks. We began with a pile on one corner, then tried it in feed tubs, and now put it on the ground where a corn feeder dumps a pile of corn on it twice a day to force consumption. We just began this technique and will see how it works. The tubs worked ok, but it seems the deer like it more on the ground. With the fresh corn on it twice a day they are forced to consume it when picking up the corn, so we shall see if this has any positive feedback on the game cameras this year when it comes to antler development....

Comment

I use trophy rock because it's easy, I don't know how much good it does, I believe the salt content is very high, but it makes me feel like I am doing something.

Comment

Thank you for the responses!

Comment

I use the red/brown mineral block from Tractor Supply just to get good velvet pics and fawn pics. I don't expect too much from it but it's $6 a block, much cheaper than Trophy Rock.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
            I use the red/brown mineral block from Tractor Supply just to get good velvet pics and fawn pics. I don't expect too much from it but it's $6 a block, much cheaper than Trophy Rock.
            I put 4 of mineral blocks from TS out this weekend. Deer haven't found them yet but the cattle found one and licked the Sh** out of it.

For under $7 figured it would be worth trying.

Comment

Working...
            X