San Angelo area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

San Angelo area

For the people who hunt/live in the area, about what time will the rut take place? I just got on a lease there and I just have now idea about the time it starts, plus it would be good to know so I can plan on feeding cotton seed and double up on the protein at the end of it to help the deer recover.

Generally the week prior to Thanksgiving things start heating up and peak at the end of Nov thru first week of December. At least that’s for us out west of Eldorado in NW Schleicher Cty.

Comment

Lived here all my life. The full on rut is the week of Thanksgiving.

Comment

You should know this..

10 years worth for me...

11/11 is a date I have written down for the most rutting activity seen multiple times in my journal. We have been taking the week off before Thanksgiving the past several years and see a lot of strong movement. It pushes through into Thanksgiving... and after that the major activity is pretty spotty. That period of 11/10-11/20 my rut field is load with deer chasing each other....and the does can't get a bite of corn to save their life. You gotta be quick on your toes with a bow then.

I started cottonseed the last weekend of season this year before I left. I am still hunting so they can start recovering after I'm done. Don't need any of them eating only at night during season...
        Last edited by Smart; 08-08-2018, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Reading comprehension is severely lacking on this thread.

About 7:30am

Comment

2nd-3rd week of Nov is easily the most consistent

Comment

Been hunting there 20 years I love new years wknd , bucks bunch back up and hit feed hard but rut is TDay time frame

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                Reading comprehension is severely lacking on this thread.

About 7:30am
                You funny long time!

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  You should know this..

10 years worth for me...

11/11 is a date I have written down for the most rutting activity seen multiple times in my journal. We have been taking the week off before Thanksgiving the past several years and see a lot of strong movement. It pushes through into Thanksgiving... and after that the major activity is pretty spotty. That period of 11/10-11/20 my rut field is load with deer chasing each other....and the does can't get a bite of corn to save their life. You gotta be quick on your toes with a bow then.

I started cottonseed the last weekend of season this year before I left. I am still hunting so they can start recovering after I'm done. Don't need any of them eating only at night during season...
                  Thanks, good info.

Comment

Originally posted by Rtree1 View Post
                    Been hunting there 20 years I love new years wknd , bucks bunch back up and hit feed hard but rut is TDay time frame
                    More good info, this is the first lease I have been on in almost 10 years. So learning all the little trick will help.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who has replied, any other info you care to share will be appreciated.

Comment

Good luck. I hunt in Eldorado. The deer love cottonseed. I agree with others about the rut beginning around mid November. Expect to see big buck in December too.

Comment

TPWD says western part of Edwards plateau is Dec 5 is peak and that is what we normaly see on Mertz Ranch

Comment

November 13th four years in a row...... mature 5+ year old chasing in the middle of the day south of San Angelo. When do you think I’m taking vacation this year?

Comment

Thanksgiving

Comment

Working...
                              X