Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cape Buffalo with a longbow. Let the adventure begin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MedicineMan7 View Post
    These heavy bows have pulled something loose in my brain!

You have always had a few screws loose in your brain!!! [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

YOU'RE OVERBOWED!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
        You have always had a few screws loose in your brain!!! [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Bisch

My wife would prolly agree with ya!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post

Bisch

Originally posted by shortstroke 91 View Post

YOU'RE OVERBOWED!!!!!!!

Always gotta have one in the crowd....

Comment

As i look at that rib one more time, i start to wonder if a 65ish pound bow with a 650-700 grain arrow wouldn't be just as effective. The reason i say that is i am not sure any bow is going to shoot through that rib and i figure, in meat, the 65#s and 700 grains would be plenty. Any thoughts?

PS good luck on your hunt!!

Comment

RJH1, that is an interesting point...one that caused me to do something unusual for me, I paused and thought about my response...

My first reaction would be that packing that light of a setup is conceding defeat, and you might as well save the plane fare...BUT, I do think that you have a point in that if you KNEW you were going to centerpunch a rib, at its thickest part, #9 probably isn't going to make a difference. Fortunately, since the rib structure is constantly going thick to slightly thinner, the optimist(and chasing a #2000 critter that can stomp you into you mud, you would have to be)is counting on the fact that there is more upside than down? I personally dont think #65 would get through the thinnest area of the ribs, nor would a PH take you out.

But, if the lighter weight setup, provided better accuracy, and allowed you to sneak one in somehow without having to take on the ribs, then I agree with you. I have an acquaintance in Australia, that does exactly that, with a trad bow under #70...
              In fact, they shoot head-on into the void between the shoulders...but that's a whole nother conversation!

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                As i look at that rib one more time, i start to wonder if a 65ish pound bow with a 650-700 grain arrow wouldn't be just as effective. The reason i say that is i am not sure any bow is going to shoot through that rib and i figure, in meat, the 65#s and 700 grains would be plenty. Any thoughts?

the math says, take the heavy bow, and the 990 grain arrow...
                the other hunters that have take'n dangerous game, all say the same.
                experience in this, i'd listen to the men and women that have taken this game.
                with rifle or bow...
                GO BIG, DON'T PLAY. cause them critters DON'T.... they will kill you...
                this is just my humble option

Comment

Originally posted by JEFFRO View Post
                  the math says, take the heavy bow, and the 990 grain arrow...
                  the other hunters that have take'n dangerous game, all say the same.
                  experience in this, i'd listen to the men and women that have taken this game.
                  with rifle or bow...
                  GO BIG, DON'T PLAY. cause them critters DON'T.... they will kill you...
                  this is just my humble option
                  Have no experience in anything like this but I definitely agree with this here. I’d hate to be in the brush with a wounded buffalo even surrounded by a PH and trackers with big double barrel rifles.

Comment

I am not saying that a lighter bow is the way to go, I guess mainly I am not real sure any bow could shoot through that big old rib. Even with an 80+ # compound, I would have my doubts. Seems like it could really come down to shoot placement much more than a deer, elk, etc., cause it seems to me you really would have to split that gap.

Does anyone know of a cape buff rib being shot through with a bow and continuing on for a killing shor? I am really curious
                    Last edited by RJH1; 07-27-2018, 10:51 AM.

Comment

I am not saying that a lighter bow is the way to go, I guess mainly I am not real sure any bow could shoot through that big old rib. Even with an 80+ # compound, I would have my doubts. Seems like it could really come down to shoot placement much more than a deer, elk, etc., cause it seems to me you really would have to split that gap.

Does anyone know of a cape buff rib being shot through with a bow and continuing on for a killing shor? I am really curious
                      From all the reading I've done, basically you are looking at a 95% chance that you are going to hit a rib bone going in if you take a broadside shot. Your chances of hitting a rib decrease if you either try and hug the shoulder with the front leg pulled forward, or if you try and shoot on the lower side of the kill, still in front of the crease. Both options increase odds of something going wrong because too low and you miss the vitals, or to far into the shoulder and you actually hit it, then you have a ticked off buff!

The pic of the rib with the broadhead sticking out is actually Australian water buffalo, and the head is sticking in the interior portion of the rib after going through the other side (Buff may correct me on this, but that's how I took it when I've seen it before and now).

I plan on shooting my current setup (906gr total: Easton FMJ Dangerous Game 250 with 50gr brass HIIT insert and 300gr Tuffhead) into a cinder block to see how it holds up per recommendations from a good buddy whose already got an awesome cape buffalo on his resume with trad gear. Just kind of an extra step to see that everything is strong enough to hold up. As he mentioned, if it stands up to a concrete cinder block, a buff rib will be toast!

Comment

Thanks for the info, glad to hear that they can be shot through. Good luck and keep the updates coming!

Comment

Who’s name is going on that arrow?

Comment

When we hunted in Australia... Mark had a 70 something pound bow.
                            It did a poor job of shooting through the ribs for the buffalos so we took turns with my 83 . It was much better by a long way

Comment

Originally posted by MedicineMan7 View Post
                              From all the reading I've done, basically you are looking at a 95% chance that you are going to hit a rib bone going in if you take a broadside shot. Your chances of hitting a rib decrease if you either try and hug the shoulder with the front leg pulled forward, or if you try and shoot on the lower side of the kill, still in front of the crease. Both options increase odds of something going wrong because too low and you miss the vitals, or to far into the shoulder and you actually hit it, then you have a ticked off buff!

The pic of the rib with the broadhead sticking out is actually Australian water buffalo, and the head is sticking in the interior portion of the rib after going through the other side (Buff may correct me on this, but that's how I took it when I've seen it before and now).

I plan on shooting my current setup (906gr total: Easton FMJ Dangerous Game 250 with 50gr brass HIIT insert and 300gr Tuffhead) into a cinder block to see how it holds up per recommendations from a good buddy whose already got an awesome cape buffalo on his resume with trad gear. Just kind of an extra step to see that everything is strong enough to hold up. As he mentioned, if it stands up to a concrete cinder block, a buff rib will be toast!

It really is all about arrow weight....
                              You are correct, that GK head had passed through and stuck in the off side ribs

Comment

I busted through a African Cape buffalo and several Australia buffalos with my 83# black widow and. 980 grain arrow

Comment

Working...
                                X