Deer lease. Is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by warrenm0624 View Post
    The convenience and deer numbers would have me all in.
    Ditto!

Comment

I really appreciate all the input! It really has helped weigh my options. Some things I didn't initially consider were the fuel costs in addition to the extra time needed to maintain a place/feeder further away from home. Gas can really add up when driving an hour plus one way to maintain feeders. The thought of a larger place is great, but knowing that some guys only get one or two stands at the most in those places doesn't really add much value. I have two spots on this property, one on the north side and one on the south, that both neighbor to larger properties. I know deer bed down on the other side of the fences. They hit the feeder 10 minutes after it goes off. Deer come from across the road too. I like the idea of pretending the neighboring properties are mine!

If it weren't for the cows/horses I may not have even made this post. Those little guys can be a pain the butt! With some work though, I can manage them. Plus, having a younger family really does limit my time.

I will keep looking for a couple weeks and if I don't find anything ill go with this place again. If he won't budge on price I may just convince a buddy to go in with me. That'll make the price more tolerable. Im going to shoot out $1500 first and see what he says.

Thanks again for the input! Definitely has helped.

Comment

A $2200 lease will buy you a lot of headaches in most parts of TX.

Sound like you have a nice spot to hunt - that is very convenient - and doesn't break the bank. Jump on it before you LO goes another direction.

Putting a $/acre on a small hunting property, is comparing apples to oranges.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry View Post
          So far I count...

11 nays
          5 yays

So for every two guys that laugh at it, there's one that says take my money.
          Like those posts matter. Go try and sell anything for 2x what it's worth and you will always have people saying they would buy it....IF.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
            Like those posts matter. Go try and sell anything for 2x what it's worth and you will always have people saying they would buy it....IF.
            Those posts DO matter, though when it comes to this subject...because some of those posts are by guys that have and do pay those prices for a small lease close to town.

You and others said you wouldn't. Some said they would. Guess I don't see the point of the continued apples and oranges debate by those who think it's absurd to pay that much for a small lease.

Again for the hard headed nays...

Most won't.

Some of us will.

I rarely overpay for anything. I'm a bargain hunter, matter of fact. A small lease is not something you can compare to just anything for sale.

Comment

No way I’d pay my friend $2200 to hunt in his backyard with his pets. Matter of fact I’d probably quit calling him my friend. Get on a real lease.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                No way I’d pay my friend $2200 to hunt in his backyard with his pets. Matter of fact I’d probably quit calling him my friend. Get on a real lease.
                That's pretty funny!

Comment

Liberty Hill is basically just an extension of Austin. That’s a “proximity to big city with lots of rich folks” fee.

If you’re confident you can shoot a buck and a couple does and enjoy hunting for pigs, etc., I wouldn’t hesitate on it, especially if you’re certain you can’t replace it with a similar situation for less.

Comment

The 3 horses would kill the deal for me...Those things are a ROYAL pain in the azz when hunting and feeders are involved... And $2200 is just a little much...

Comment

If that was in hill country village in San Antonio I’d be all over it, Or maybe next to the college in Laredo. That would be just about the only reason to pay that money.

Comment

Originally posted by bcj jones View Post
                        I live in Leander and the property is in Liberty hill. I can't seem to find a place within an hour that's less than $3,000 a gun. They are much larger 250-700 acre places though. If I had 3,000 to spend this year I would. Unfortunately I just don't. Next season though. Plus, I know for sure ill have multiple opportunities at some deer. A couple good bucks as well.

Me and another guy paid $1250 a piece this year. It's a yearly access so I can go hunt coyote/pigs/turkey during the year. I knew, and know, it is high I just cant find another place around that price. Especially that close to home. I don't necessarily like hunting the place due to the livestock but i'm afraid I wont find another place within price or distance. I'm going to offer 1000 bucks and if says no he says no. It's almost not worth hunting with another person because its smaller and i'd hate for the other guy to shoot one of the few bucks out there. He's a guy about my age, 30, and I consider him a friend now but he still wants his money lol. He has a huge ranch in panhandle with a lodge that he manages. He said I can hunt that anytime, I just don't have "anytime"
                        Bold is the value you can not calculate....
                        I'd suck it up & pay the price until you find exactly what you want for the price you want...

Trust me, there is going to be someone in your area & in the same boat willing to pay the "un-calculated value" price....

Comment

No way I could spend 2200 for 25 acres unless it bordered the King ranch. 2 hunters on 25 acres is insane.

Comment

I've seen people pass on a $2500 lease an hour from their house in order to pay $1800 5 hours away. It's pretty simple math and having a place close to the house is worth hundreds of dollars over the ones that require mileage, gas, food to and from, etc.

I would give this pretty serious consideration.

Comment

Some t-posts and 3 or 4 strands of barbed wire will keep the cows and horses out, and not break the bank.

Comment

Love how everyone laughs at the price. Don’t like it. It’s not for you. I hunt several smaller acreages, family land, $2200 wouldn’t even get me to look up to lease any of them. The right 25 acres in the right place hunted correctly can be a real honey hole.

Comment

Working...
                                X