No announcement yet.

Deer lease. Is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Split it with someone, build feed pens and enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
      $2200 for 25 acres.... LOL
      For every ten guys that laugh at it, there's one that says take my money.

Everyone laughs as small acreage pricing. It's not apples and oranges once you get above 100 acres or so. The smaller the place, the higher the cost per acre to lease goes. It's just the way it is.

Comment

No way I would consider paying $88/acre for a lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry View Post
          Probably not worth it to most of you, but he'll get what he's asking from someone if not from the OP. It would be worth it to me if the landowner didn't live on the place and if there weren't cows and horses. Tough call, but I doubt he'll accept a "call his bluff" offer.
          That can be said for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry View Post
            For every ten guys that laugh at it, there's one that says take my money.

Everyone laughs as small acreage pricing. It's not apples and oranges once you get above 100 acres or so. The smaller the place, the higher the cost per acre to lease goes. It's just the way it is.
            Unless its just a honey hole there are better deals to be found, just have to find them, we picked up a 300 acre place on the bosque river once for $1250 annually, area was pressured but no livestock to deal with, they are out there.
            Last edited by bossbowman; 01-14-2019, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Cool story.

I'm constantly looking, tracking down landowners, calling, emailing, etc. Times are changing. Landowners know they can get more. The good deals are slowly becoming a thing of the past, especially five mins from town.

Comment

I would pay it, put a big 15 to 20 panel pen around your feeder and keep an eye out for another place .

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

So far I count...

11 nays
                  5 yays

So for every two guys that laugh at it, there's one that says take my money.

Comment

I don't know that I would pay the asking price, but there is something to be said about hunting 5 minutes from home. I would try to find a way to make it up to the panhandle for sure if you can hunt it anytime. Good luck!

Comment

That's a decision only you can make. If it were me under similar circumstances, I'd find a way to be on this lease, either by myself or with someone else, if that's something y'all can work out. If you find something farther out for less money, you still have to figure in expenses for gasoline and for starting up on a new place. I know it's been mentioned that you could offer to do work. You could also offer him some sausage or other meat in exchange for some of the costs.
                      Last edited by El Viejo; 01-14-2019, 04:40 PM.

Comment

I would pay it for the convenience and having it to myself. That close to home would be nice.

Comment

I think you have already decided by the way you originally defended the high cost of small acrage with all the benifits its providing.
                          I say being that close to home so you can actually use it with a young family and youve stated you def have shots at deer and hogs regularly then its a go.
                          Dont get wrapped up with the fact its a small place as long as your seeing wildlife.
                          If YOU feel its a good deal then its a good deal!!

Comment

Lots of folks only get 1 stand on their lease. If the other places aren't hunted and are wooded just convince yourself that's your 1 spot on a bigger piece of property.

Comment

In a heart beat

Comment

Honestly, convenience is not worth that much.
                                I hunt 400 ac in the hill.country and only pay 1800 for year round everyrhing.
                                Typically over paying a little for something is much better than having nothing. But, that's way to much.
                                Last edited by flywise; 01-14-2019, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X