No announcement yet.

2015 Pushmataha County Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I'm physically sick right now. I set up off a field edge that I've seen deer in before, at 5:25ish I saw a flash of antler through the trees on the field edge, he was coming down the field edge scent checking I presume, all I saw was a flash of antlers and before I knew it he was in my lap.i had my bow in my hand when I noticed deer coming in around 5:00. I have a single pin tommy hogg and I had my pin set for 20, I attempted to aim low, my guess was he was at 16 yards, when I shot I swear I heard a thwack, there was no donkey kick or nothing, he just darted, I waited until about 5:45 to look for my arrow, I never went down the trail he went down for fear of bumping him. No video to speak of, even if I had my arm out and camera on, he came in so fast I wouldn't have had time to do anything. I shouldn't have shot, I don't know why I did, big bucks make you do stupid crap that you no better than to do. Ugh! I'm just praying now that I either find the arrow in the morning and it's a clean miss or it has some blood on it and I can track or at least grid search for him. I think the pressure of being on public land and finally seeing a buck that is be proud to shoot got the best of me. Please Lord, please let this have a good outcome and I either find the deer or discover that I completely missed.

Comment

Ron,

I know this situation all to well. I have made more mistakes on big deer then anyone I know. You need to slow down and try to think back.

Was the deer broadside?

If not was he quartering to? Away?

If you heard a thwack you hit him, I have had double lunged shot deer and no bood for 50 or so yards.

I have also shot bucks this time year they don't even act like there hit because there adrenaline is already so high.

You made a good choice backing out. You will have a long night playing the situation over and over in your mind. Try to think back in ur minds eye to exactly where the arrow hit. A lot of times this different then where u intially think the arrow impacted.

Best of luck to you in the morning and keep us updated .

Comment

Ron,

Hope you already found it, but if not always remember:

1) Deer even after shot tend to revert back to major "deer trails" and travelling where they know. I'd follow every deer trail i could looking for your arrow and any sign. if the buck was big enough you may get lucky and pick up his track.
        2) Deer that are hit back in the body tend to bed down quick when not pushed and usually head towards water. I've found more than one deer laying dead in small creeks.
        3) although early, sometimes even blue jays will sit above dead deer and make a racket.

Good luck!!! Wish we were up there to help out.

Comment

He was either broadside or slightly quartered to me. I can't find my arrow or a drop of blood. I'm currently grid searching hoping I find something.

Comment

Originally posted by kva393 View Post
            Ron,

Hope you already found it, but if not always remember:

1) Deer even after shot tend to revert back to major "deer trails" and travelling where they know. I'd follow every deer trail i could looking for your arrow and any sign. if the buck was big enough you may get lucky and pick up his track.

2) Deer that are hit back in the body tend to bed down quick when not pushed and usually head towards water. I've found more than one deer laying dead in small creeks.

3) although early, sometimes even blue jays will sit above dead deer and make a racket.

Good luck!!! Wish we were up there to help out.

Good points made here.

Comment

2015 Pushmataha County Thread

I've followed every deer trail I can find and grid searched within a half mile of the direction he went. I either cleaned missed him and I just buried my arrow in the dirt or (more than likely) I buried my arrow in his back and it never exited. Either way, I have yet to pick up a drop of blood or guts or any sign of my arrow whatsoever. I've replayed the shot in my head a bunch and if he was at 12 yards and I aimed with my 20 yard pin at the bottom third of his chest, then with him jumping the string some, I should've hit him high and I know I got him back some because I couldn't get him to stop so I shot at him while he was moving. Honestly this is the dumbest shot I've ever taken at a deer. I know better than to take a shot at a moving deer, let alone a nice buck. And I now know the biggest disadvantage to a single pin sight that I was afraid would cost me a deer just might have, will probably remount my 5 pin sight for next week and keep a 10 yard pin. Lots of hard lessons learned yesterday. I'm going to be beating myself up until I can get back up here and hunt on the 11th. The forecast for tomorrow is lots of rain, and my little Kia Sorento can't get up most of the roads if there any muddier than they already are. In the meantime, I set up a camera on a trail that I know lots of deer pour into that field on, I'm hoping I'll get a shot of him on camera. I'm about to go check the area north of where I shot him where there's a pond and see if I can find anything around there, if I can't, I'll likely hang another camera and pack up and go home. This has been pretty humbling and will definitely affect what I think is an ethical shot in the future.
              Last edited by rhendrix; 11-04-2015, 01:13 PM.

Comment

I think I can officially say I either wounded him or straight up missed.

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
                  I think I can officially say I either wounded him or straight up missed.
                  I hate to hear that Hopefully it was a miss and with the rut heating up you may get another shot

Comment

Really hoping I catch him on one of my cameras so I can put my mind at ease some.

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
                      Really hoping I catch him on one of my cameras so I can put my mind at ease some.

This.

And as we saw last year with Q it does happen.

Here's my view in this:
                      1. You are hours and hours from your hunting ground.
                      2. Hunting ground is public.
                      3. You scout and read the property and sign correctly to locate your sets.
                      4. You prepare and control your scent effectively to put yourself within extremely close range of a shooter.
                      5. You are patient
                      6. The buck is on you quickly and you rush the shot.

I hate it that you did not harvest this deer but in points 1-5 you did what many others couldn't or were unwilling to put forth the diligence, attention to detail and effort to do.

Hoping you get closure in this before the end of the season.

Comment

Booner and Q-all have both made outstanding points. There are so many variables that must line up in order to close the deal and sometimes no matter how much experience we have it just doesn't happen for one reason or another. As others have said we have all been there, and if you haven't you will be at some point, so the best thing to do is get back in the saddle and get back after them! Good luck!

Comment

Keep your head up man. Deer are very tough animals and from the sounds of it you may have hit high and back. More times than not, deer will survive this. I did the same thing last year when my cam hit a branch I neglected to trim properly. I searched for the deer for almost 8 hours and eventually only found part of my arrow. Two weeks later, I got a picture of him trailing a doe with a very noticeable hole just below his left loin (no man's land.).

Hopefully you will get some closure as Boomer said and as i believe Q or someone said last year. There are people who have wounded and lost deer with a bow and there are people who will it just hasn't happened yet

Comment

Thanks guys. I know crap happens, I'm just chalking this up to a lesson learned. A hard lesson, but a lesson none the less.

Comment

These were from the past few days hunts. Let the spikes make it this time. Finally had deer show up at the corn feeder that I put out in May. But the pigs are still hitting it too.

Comment

Touching back on the wounding a deer and he survives,

In 2012 I shot torch , a then 160 class deer bad, he was steep quartering away and I screwed up and hit no mans land. He shows back up on camera and I later kill him in 2013 completely healthy . He even gained around 10 inches to be a gross Boone 9 pointer .

Pic.

In 2014 I shoot megatron high and back due to arrow deflection. This was a hard one for me to take and I almost hung the bow up for the year. He shows up this year and is a world class deer.

It happens to us all. You just gotta shake it off and get back in the tree.

Comment

Working...
                                X