No announcement yet.

Bicycle Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We use mountain bikes all duck season to access ponds away from the parking areas in the public waterfowl refuges. Put the shotgun on a home make rack on the handlebars, and the decoys and blind bag on my back. Riding with waders adds a dimension to the journey. I did not camo my bike, I'm afraid if I did I'd never find it after ditching it in the weeds. It works OK until when the rains come and the levees turn into sticky mud and jam the brakes up. I tried it for pigs on public land once and it was easier and faster than walking, but the question of what would we do if we shot something was always there.

Comment

i have never seen so much high tech stuff on a bike... i had no idea... do they even make a basic bike anymore... i mean get on and ride one gear breaks on the peddal. like they had back in the 50's......

Comment

My late Grandfather got me doing that years back at Wright patman Lake. Lot of fun, can really cover ground.

Comment

Around here you are really stuck to the roads and already established trails. Too many mesquites ,briars, cactus, locust trees waiting for your tires to come along. Even with slime in the tires you will be saying " Oh great, another flat." more often than you think. Mud is another issue, stopping your bike dead cold in about 10 feet. Then sticks through the spokes,and derailer have left me walking before too. So don't think its all free and easy, but it still beats walking in on flat and level ground.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletpusher View Post
            Around here you are really stuck to the roads and already established trails. Too many mesquites ,briars, cactus, locust trees waiting for your tires to come along. Even with slime in the tires you will be saying " Oh great, another flat." more often than you think.
            When I bought my last bike I had the shop ad "Tire Liners" inside the tires, change the tubes to thorn proof tubes, and put slime in the tubes.

The problem with the slime is it clogs up the valves. After a month I put another set of the thorn proof tubes in, without the slime !!

There are now some super tough Liners made out of Kevlar

nothing you can do about the mud but pick up your bike and walk

Comment

Originally posted by bulletpusher View Post
              Here is my ride. The picture of the buck laying on the seat with the head over the handle bars was what I had to do last year when the axle on my cart busted. There was no way I could have drug it, it was too far and he was too big.
              Nice! I was just wondering today what I could do about getting the deer out.

Any body got a good used bike? Trailer? Send me a PM if you have or know where I can buy one to get started with my set up.

Nice thread!

Comment

you can also buy airless tires for your bike - never have a flat or have to add air again

Shop now at BikeMania - Best price, best selection for bikes, cycling apparel, cycling equipment, tires, helmets and much more.

Comment

Originally posted by crunchtime View Post
                  Nice! I was just wondering today what I could do about getting the deer out.

Any body got a good used bike? Trailer? Send me a PM if you have or know where I can buy one to get started with my set up.

Nice thread!
                  Craigslist, pawn shop

Comment

Like Jack said, pawn shops are good. I got my front suspension Trek at one for a hundred bucks and they let me pick any seat from all the bikes they had. The seat I got costs a hundred bucks new, so yeah it was a good deal.

Comment

[QUOTE=CaptJack;1807746]you can also buy airless tires for your bike - never have a flat or have to add air again

Shop now at BikeMania - Best price, best selection for bikes, cycling apparel, cycling equipment, tires, helmets and much more.

Interesting...Getting flats was one of my main concerns when thinking about using my mt. bike at the ranch. Has anyone invested and tested these in the field yet? Using a bike is the way to go when hunting public land... Anyone use a bike with or w/o a trialer to move a nilgai?

Comment

i like that Hog Back Pack at the end of the first set of pictures! the swiss bike seem cool too!

Comment

this is a side quiver / scabbard available for bikes, left and right sided available

~~~~~~~~~

and this is a trailer hitch attachment for pulling a trailer or cart with a bike

Last edited by CaptJack; 09-09-2009, 11:09 AM.

Comment

The Bicycle Corps: America's Black Army on Wheels

~~~~~~~~~~~~

1893 Remington Print: Bicycle Infantry.
                            Three views by Frederick Remington, from an 1893 issue of Harper’s Weekly.
                            Title is "Officer and Men of the First Cycle Infantry."
                            Shows three soldiers who had been trained to travel and carry equipment on bicycles.

1888 Soldier Cyclists.
                            "Cyclists at the Easter Volunteers Review." London Illustrated.

Comment

Very resourceful and worth looking into.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptJack View Post
                                this is a side quiver / scabbard available for bikes, left and right sided available

~~~~~~~~~

and this is a trailer hitch attachment for pulling a trailer or cart with a bike

CaptJack, I made my trailer hitch out of schedule 80 pipe. It works great.

Comment

Working...
                                X