X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have two custom rifles.

A .300 WM from APR,

And a 6.5 CM from Short Action Customs

I would put my vote from my experience on Short Action Customs, every little thing on it is perfect. It's a tack driver as well. Great experience dealing with the gang there. Given the budget to do another I wouldn't go anywhere else.
    B
    B

Comment

Lots of good stuff so far. Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by bk_tradguy88 View Post

I would put my vote from my experience on Short Action Customs, every little thing on it is perfect.

Mark's work is absolutely flawless , some of the best I've ever seen !

very jelly

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
          IMO, $3200 for a trued Rem 700 "Base Custom Rifle" is absurd .... you're paying for a name and the GAP rollstamp. I can build the exact same rifle for $1000 less, and it will shoot just as accurate.

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precis...tom-rifle.html

George does excellent work but he's no different than Jarrett, Sisk, McWhorter, Hill Country Rifles, etc.... great marketers who found a clientele that will pay their inflated selling price.
          I agree with you 100%, no way I'd buy that either. I recently bought a 260 from them with defiance action, Bartlein barrel, hs stock ( I know, I know not a McMillan) cerakote, and even had the stock dipped by them for $2750 including shipping. Like I said, you'd be surprised.
          Last edited by aggieman08; 05-17-2017, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aggieman08 View Post
            I agree with you 100%, no way I'd buy that either. I recently bought a 260 from them with defiance action, Bartlein barrel, hs stock ( I know, I know not a McMillan) cerakote, and even had the stock dipped by them for $2750 including shipping. Like I said, you'd be surprised.
            Brand new? That sounds close to what they had in it

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
              Brand new? That sounds close to what they had in it

they have way less in it, dealers buy components at a reduced price

if Aggieman08 has a Defiance Rebel action (700 clone), the rifle can be built for roughly $2375

Comment

they have way less in it, dealers buy components at a reduced price

if Aggieman08 has a Defiance Rebel action (700 clone), the rifle can be built for roughly $2375
                I was thinking deviant. Either way it's extremely cheap for the parts and work done

Comment

I was thinking deviant. Either way it's extremely cheap for the parts and work done
                  depends on who is doing the work

$1050 - Defiant Rebel action (dealer pays $900)
                  $ 345 - Bartlein barrel (dealer pays $300)
                  $ 345 - HS stock (dealer pays $300)
                  $ 250 - cut, chamber, crown
                  $ 125 - cerakote barreled action
                  $ 125 - Timney trigger
                  $ 125 - bottom metal PTG M5 style
                  $ 100 - dip stock

$2465 ... price can be +/- based on options like: Jewell, 1-pc scope base, brake, threaded end cap, fluting, pillar glass bedding, etc....

Comment

$ 125 - Timney trigger
                    $ 100 - dip stock

$2465 ... price can be +/- based on options like: Jewell, 1-pc scope base, brake, threaded end cap, fluting, pillar glass bedding, etc....
                    It is a rebel action and I had the recoil lug bedded so let's say $100 (although it was $130). Let's say you had this built in Texas so 8.25 % sales tax is applicable. Subtotal $2565 + tax $211.61 = $2,776.00

If you buy right from GA, it is not nearly as expensive as you may think.

Comment

It is a rebel action and I had the recoil lug bedded so let's say $100 (although it was $130). Let's say you had this built in Texas so 8.25 % sales tax is applicable. Subtotal $2565 + tax $211.61 = $2,776.00

If you buy right from GA, it is not nearly as expensive as you may think.
                      Blake after reviewing your parts list, I have a x mark trigger (reworked, flaw corrected) so that's about $75 less than the Timney you have listed. Also, I have a ptg oberndorf hinged floor plate with internal box, spring, and follower which looks to be about the same price as the m5. Lastly the gun came with a 15 moa rail.

Comment

Blake after reviewing your parts list, I have a x mark trigger (reworked, flaw corrected) so that's about $75 less than the Timney you have listed. Also, I have a ptg oberndorf hinged floor plate with internal box, spring, and follower which looks to be about the same price as the m5. Lastly the gun came with a 15 moa rail.
                        you have a $2700 rifle with a $25 trigger

throw the Xmark away and drop in a 1.5# Jewell

Comment

you have a $2700 rifle with a $25 trigger

throw the Xmark away and drop in a 1.5# Jewell
                          You are very right! Doesn't make too much sense and I'll be making a change soon.

Comment

$ 125 - Timney trigger
                            $ 100 - dip stock

Sure enough

I cant find anyone to put my rifle together from the parts I have for under $1200 including fluting, cerakote, and bedding or maybe I haven't looked hard enough

Comment

Mark's work is absolutely flawless , some of the best I've ever seen !

very jelly

My interest is peeked as I have another build planned for next year.

I have worked with several APR's on true'd Rem actions and all have been impressive while I have only cruised ShortActionCustoms website.

What sets SAC apart?

Comment

Sure enough

I cant find anyone to put my rifle together from the parts I have for under $1200 including fluting, cerakote, and bedding or maybe I haven't looked hard enough
                                just looked up 2 reputable GS's I know and prices vary from

$150 - 200 ... spiral flute barrel
                                $175 - 250 ... cerakote barreled action, bolt, and bottom metal
                                $200 - 275 ... pillar and glass bed stock
                                $275 - 350 ... cut, chamber, install, crown, and engrave barrel
                                ... add more money if you want the barrel threaded with thread protector

I've been consulting on custom rifle builds for 25+ yrs as I know lots of people in the business. My advice, don't limit yourself to geography. Research the internet and call multiple GS's. Ask questions, and make your decision based on who you feel most comfortable with.

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                                My interest is peeked as I have another build planned for next year.

I have worked with several APR's on true'd Rem actions and all have been impressive while I have only cruised ShortActionCustoms website.

What sets SAC apart?
                                Mark is a perfectionist as his completed rifles are flawless and they shoot lights out. From bedding, to paint, to chamber jobs, to thread protectors his work is amazing .... pictures don't do his work justice http://shortactioncustoms.com/services/barrel-services/

not cheap, but his custom work is worth every penny

my tip of the day For anyone having a new barrel chambered or custom rifle built, ask the GS to make you a "stub gauge". It's a left over piece from the barrel that is chambered with the reamer and a site window milled on the side. This will allow you to take a fired piece of brass and confirm if the necks have grown and if they need trimming. You can also see the bullet seating depth to the lands. This useful tool will probably cost $50 but priceless when it comes to reloading

Comment

Working...
                                X