Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sippy ya'll running any livestock?

nice feeder...

oh and those heads WILL break...had a big aoudad bust one the other week...

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Horse View Post
      Sippy ya'll running any livestock?

nice feeder...

oh and those heads WILL break...had a big aoudad bust one the other week...
      Not this year, I will be running about 20 head next year most likely.

When I do I will be building big feed pens.

Comment

How many feeders do you plan on putting out and is this your first year with protein?

Comment

Originally posted by Karmstrong View Post
          How many feeders do you plan on putting out and is this your first year with protein?
          There are 5 corn feeders and 2 protein.

This is the 5th year of protein on the property, but the first year with consistent protein feeding and with Red Chain 17%.

In other words the previous owner would feed a bag or two a month.
          Last edited by Sippy; 03-12-2013, 07:51 PM.

Comment

I'm curious why you don't use game camera's? In this day and age that is pretty rare.

And I'm following.

Comment

Originally posted by down2hunt View Post
              I'm curious why you don't use game camera's? In this day and age that is pretty rare.

And I'm following.
              We just bought the property this past month. The previous owner used to every once in a while but once a few quit working he just stopped fooling with them.

Plus, he was out there 4-5 days a week hunting hogs so he was seeing what was coming in.

I will run cameras, and will probably put at least one out when i go down tomorrow. They are great tools!

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
                There are 5 corn feeders and 2 protein.

This is the 5th year of protein on the property, but the first year with consistent protein feeding and with Red Chain 17%.

In other words the previous owner would feed a bag or two a month.
                I may be way off, but I bet if the deer density is as high as you say you're going to need a protein feeder about 3 times that size to keep it from going empty in less than a week. We've fed 20% protein now for 3 years in East TX with a very, very low deer density and it's nothing for them to eat 300lbs in a week during the spring and late summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post
                  I may be way off, but I bet if the deer density is as high as you say you're going to need a protein feeder about 3 times that size to keep it from going empty in less than a week. We've fed 20% protein now for 3 years in East TX with a very, very low deer density and it's nothing for them to eat 300lbs in a week during the spring and late summer.
                  Ill be out there 2x a week.

I would have gotten a larger one but i couldn't justify it since i am already going to be out there.

Right now they are eating 300lbs about every 3 weeks. However, I do expect that number to increase whenever I switch feeds.

Comment

Is that the small 350# buck boss? I have been looking at the 600/500# feeder. Thinking of going ahead and making my wish list now.

How many deer do you think you are drawing into your feeder? Feeding only 100lbs a week looks a little light for this time of year. To get them started are you mixing with corn?

Comment

Is that the small 350# buck boss? I have been looking at the 600/500# feeder. Thinking of going ahead and making my wish list now.

How many deer do you think you are drawing into your feeder? Feeding only 100lbs a week looks a little light for this time of year. To get them started are you mixing with corn?
                      Yes it is the 350.

They have plenty of protein provided to them, the feeders are full.
                      Deer consume protein as they need it and I believe it will pick up shortly.

I am not sure how many deer per feeder, but on the property we feed about 40 deer +-5. They are used to protein, so I am feeding it straight.

We have 15 acres of food plots and everything is getting green, so that might explain why they havent turned into protein hogs yet this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
                        We have 15 acres of food plots and everything is getting green....
                        bragger.

its gonna take some major neighbor blocking and/or tree cutting for me to be able to get any plots bigger than 2 acres on my place that cant be seen by prying eyes. i have 3 neighboring stands on my north side that are within 30 yards of my fence and one is a small chair behind a camo curtain that is less than 15 yards from the fence and is facing MY fence.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                          bragger.

its gonna take some major neighbor blocking and/or tree cutting for me to be able to get any plots bigger than 2 acres on my place that cant be seen by prying eyes. i have 3 neighboring stands on my north side that are within 30 yards of my fence and one is a small chair behind a camo curtain that is less than 15 yards from the fence and is facing MY fence.
                          comparatively speaking it might just be a hint of yellow.

Anything is greener than what it was this fall!

On your place small kill plots, or "hidey holes" as Dr. Grant Woods calls them, are perfect.

Sorry about the neighbors We have a guy on our south side who doesnt care about management at all.

Comment

Do you get enough rain to make the plots worth your effort? Assuming the milo is more for the turkey and dove vs. deer.

Hope you had some rain this past weekend to help green everything up.

Comment

Do you get enough rain to make the plots worth your effort? Assuming the milo is more for the turkey and dove vs. deer.

Hope you had some rain this past weekend to help green everything up.
                              Absolutely. It didnt really come up well until november, but they have been all over it.

We just got a sprinkle. It formed over us and then got stronger as it moved east.

Comment

Cool thread and looks like a really nice place. Our lease is about the same size and we seem to do a lot of the same things so I'll be following your progress for sure.
                                Last edited by CEO; 03-13-2013, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X