LRGV National Wildlife Refuge, Teniente Tract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LRGV National Wildlife Refuge, Teniente Tract

Ok guys, I'm going to be hunting at the LRGV National Wildlife Refuge Teniente Tract, I was able to draw a tag for a 4 day hunt 1-6-11 to 1-9-11. Its located west of Raymondville on 186 between county rd 10-30. Yesterday I drove down county rd 30, and I saw two Nilgai, a bobcat and a Spike. This was just one rd, I still have to go down rd 20 and 10, I know 10 runs to the Rio Beef Yard. This place is huge and I wouldn't even know where to start. Has anybody hunted here before? Any advice would help, brush is thick, but I know by the time I go the grass and brush will be less thick. It's a nice place out there. Any info will help. Should I use a ground pop up blind or tripod, and if a tripod where or who makes a light weight tripod, no vehicles are allowed in there. Appreciate the help guys.

Will be my first time also. I'll be there on Dec 9-12. I've heard of a place that sales an aluminum tripod. I think its around the laguna heights area. Do a search on here..Lates

Comment

Yippeeee!!!
      Got lucky on a "re-draw" and will be hittin' it 2-5 Dec....

Comment

South Texas Tripods make some awesome lightweight tripods. Never hunted there. Born and raised not far from there.

Comment

Originally posted by lunatic'hunter View Post
          South Texas Tripods make some awesome lightweight tripods. Never hunted there. Born and raised not far from there.
          PM sent

Comment

first things first...glad to be on board with u guys...this is my first post on here. Have been a part of Texas Hunting Forum for several yrs now. Reason I registered here was because I was drawn for a hunt on Dec 10-12 @ LRGV Teniente Tract and noticed ur post...well drove out there yesterday at sundown with a buddy and came across 7 deer, a coyote, and a couple of raccoons simply driving up and down CR 10,20,and 30...so it was nice to see some action. i do have one question though...even though not all areas are thick...most parts (90-95%) are covered in tall grass...where exactly can we set up? can we set up along the road? where we have a clear view...or is a tripod recommended. i've just never hunted public lands before.

Comment

Like in other places in texas hunting is not allowed from a road so a tripod is recomended, you dont have to much time to setup and to scout, look at the area just east of 20 on the north part, try to get at least 350 yds from 20 towards 30 and no less than 200 from the north road

Comment

For anyone else hunting this tract of land, just some advice. I have been lucky to get drawn a few times. Pigs anywhere near water. Deer, just sit and give them time, if you are there they will come. Plenty of game. Nilgai bedded in the tall grass will flush like quail if they don't smell you. Stalking after the prime hunting hour of 10:00am is a good way to find one. If you are a large group of 4 or more go to CR10 and everyone dump off to your west. Some work from north to south and the others work south to north.

You will push Nilgai into each other. Just wear your orange and don't shoot each other. Spread out 50 yards as you walk and keep sight of each other. We have flushed many nilgai this way, but the brush held back the arrow flight. People tend to stay away from that area because of the high 18wheeler traffic to the Beef yard. Also that area is not very wide, this helps funnel them and limits their movement east to west. A good pull cart is a must.
                I have one but got lazy last week and didn't take it on the first day. I shot an 8pt. buck and had to drag him out 1/4 mile. Tough day that coulda been easier. If you don't have help or a cart, come out and ask for some help. More than likely someone will help.
                I hunt off the ground and use all the dead grass to build a ground blind. Pull it or cut it and stack it around you. Also have a light weight tripod, but this was the first year to take it. Majority of hunting can be done by big fellas from a small chair on the ground, for small lightweights, plenty of trees to hide in.
                Gamewardens do check you well there, so no funny stuff. If it warms up, wear snake boots. I have seen some big rattlers that worried me with the thought of them striking above my boots. Ran into a mountain lion a few years back, plenty of coyote's and bobcats(non-shootable). All in all the hunt is as easy or hard as you make it. Good luck.
                Last edited by hound dog; 12-11-2010, 02:22 PM. Reason: error

Comment

BTTT....
                  Just wanna get this near the front cause not too long before we get ready for another go at it...did it last year for the first time (unsuccessfull) and am just a little smarter for it this time...

Comment

Who's got the go ahead for this tract yet?
                    Bueller....
                    Bueller....

Comment

still gonna have the hunt out there even though 400acres was burned off a couple weeks ago...got the word from an employee at Sta. Ana...notifications of drawings were mailed out a couple of days ago, we will find out if we made the cut early next week according to this lady...good luck out there....

Comment

Got drawn for the shotgun/muzzleloader hunt at the end of December. I'm pretty excited but don't have a clue what to expect. I sent my payment in and they said they would send out the scouting information along with my permit once they received the check. Any ideas when the scouting dates usually are? I am also curious as to how many hunters they allow at a time on the refuge.

Comment

I got drawn for the archery hunt for the first week of January. Got drawn last year but couldnt make it. So it will be my first time going also.

Ray

Comment

closing time, i did the shotgun hunt a couple of yrs ago. they only allow i think about 10 hunters per hunt. I didn't have any luck. you can take the middle road which will lead you to the lake......might be dry. i took the road to the right went all the way back to the property saw a nilgai cow down the road about 150 yds. but no luck on a stalk. its a tough hunt bring plenty of water because it will still be hot down here in december.

Comment

I found out I am hunting the east lake tract and the hunt coordinator told me there would be 10 hunters. Anyone hunted the east lake tract?

Comment

Working...
                              X