Laguna Atascosa 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CEO View Post
    Can't edit my last post for some reason. I'll be solo so if anyone else draws those dates and wants to scout or make a meat hauling pact let me know.
    I'll scout with ya. I live 10 minutes from the Atascosa.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I am crossing my fingers for the 2nd draw. 18 years or so and never been selected for a rifle hunt.

Comment

Got drawn for the 2/1-2/3 rifle hunt. First thing I've ever been drawn for.

How many preference points or years did you apply before getting picked for the rifle hunt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
          I'll scout with ya. I live 10 minutes from the Atascosa.

Sounds good to me.

Originally posted by ShawnSmithTX View Post
          How many preference points or years did you apply before getting picked for the rifle hunt?

First time ever applying for this hunt. I have points in a ton of categories and have never drawn a hunt before this.

Comment

Best boot for this hunt are the Muck Boot Companies snake proof addition. Tall comfortable rubber boots that are snake proof. They are not cheap, but they are warm, comfortable and protection all in one.
            I once had a rattler buzz me as I lifted my leg over a small patch of Cactus to cross. I've never jumped higher in my life. Another was on the same trail as me, so I let him have it.
            He was roughly 6' plus and was thick.
            Brush here will poke you more than the mosquitoes. A guille suit will keep you tangled up all day. If rifle hunting, wear thick pants, like quail hunters do. Long sleeves that are bur resistant are best. Although this clothing may not be ideal for the bowhunter, it will save you on scrapes and scratches.
            Many times I have crawled on hands and knees to trail deer after they were shot. Believe me, they wont run into the soft flowers for you to recover them.
            If your on blood thinners and you wear short sleeve shirt into the brush, you will come out looking like a cat attacked your arms.
            Bring band aids for your feet blisters, new Skin patch repair to fix those blisters.
            Thermacell with plenty of ammo. Icy Hot for your sore muscles. Tick guard of some sort. And A little trick is to eat foods with excessive garlic to ward off chiggers,mosquitoes.
            If all else fails and you can't hack it at Laguna Atascosa, hire a fishing guide and catch some fish in the Lower Laguna Madre, or bring your duck hunting gear and call any local guides.
            Good luck.

Comment

Can't edit my last post for some reason. I'll be solo so if anyone else draws those dates and wants to scout or make a meat hauling pact let me know.
              I’ll be solo hunting those dates as well. I’d definitely like to scout and possibly help each other haul meat too. This will be my first time out there. I’m pretty excited.

Comment

I'm down to help anybody out with hauling meat

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hound dog View Post
                  Best boot for this hunt are the Muck Boot Companies snake proof addition. Tall comfortable rubber boots that are snake proof. They are not cheap, but they are warm, comfortable and protection all in one...
                  Bring band aids for your feet blisters, new Skin patch repair to fix those blisters.

Hot **** that's a good rundown. Worth it's length in gold.
                  Interesting though, you say Muck's are best but then say you need blister care. Well fitted boots shouldn't produce blisters unless they're brand new. Proper socks and lace up should prevent that. I've done 12 miles in a day in soggy conditions and didn't have that happen. No disrespect. That does make me rethink those boots.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky333 View Post
                    I’ll be solo hunting those dates as well. I’d definitely like to scout and possibly help each other haul meat too. This will be my first time out there. I’m pretty excited.
                    Sent you a PM

Comment

I’ll be out there solo for the first week of December bow hunt. I’m a bit concerned about being solo and getting bit by a rattlesnake. Does the refuge have antivenin or provide assistance to hunters if they get bit?

Comment

I think there is a tendency here to overstate some of the negatives to hunters new to the area. This isn't just for Laguna either. But the way some people talk you would almost think twice about going at all and maybe that's the idea. We have put miles and miles all over Laguna and East Lake and we never saw a rattle snake, bee hive, cougar or alligator while hunting, but we did see lots of other cool stuff though. I know those things definitely are out there and you should be aware and prepared and we were but don't be so focused on them that you're not having a good time as well. The one thing I would not go out there without doing is treating my clothes with Permetherin. It will keep the ticks off of you and help with mosquitoes as well. There are areas out there where the ticks really are unbelievably bad. And they're tiny little ticks so they're hard to see. You can get it at Academy or order it from Amazon. Good luck and have fun!

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post
                          I think there is a tendency here to overstate some of the negatives to hunters new to the area. This isn't just for Laguna either. But the way some people talk you would almost think twice about going at all and maybe that's the idea. We have put miles and miles all over Laguna and East Lake and we never saw a rattle snake, bee hive, cougar or alligator while hunting, but we did see lots of other cool stuff though. I know those things definitely are out there and you should be aware and prepared and we were but don't be so focused on them that you're not having a good time as well. The one thing I would not go out there without doing is treating my clothes with Permetherin. It will keep the ticks off of you and help with mosquitoes as well. There are areas out there where the ticks really are unbelievably bad. And they're tiny little ticks so they're hard to see. You can get it at Academy or order it from Amazon. Good luck and have fun!

I think its more of a warning to new hunters at Laguna. Its not a very safe place to wonder around aimlessly with no snake guards but it is a beautiful place to hunt. My first year hunting i didnt see one snake my second year between my brother and I we saw 6 rattlers 1 corral snake and 2 indigo snakes. Third year i just saw one and my brother heard what was to him a rattle as he was retrieving an arrow where he missed a doe, the arrow is still there to this day. We believe the weather was the cause in the spike in our second year that year it was hot and humid for November.

There are gators and right now with the amount of rain that it has fallen im sure they moved out of the giant lake in the middle of the refuge

Just be aware of the dangers and when walking in and out of your spot keep an eye on the trail your taking.

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post
                            This! The first time I was drawn I only saw one snake and one alligator but saw a ton of other things that were really cool. Sprayed all clothing and gear with permetherin and used off on my skin. the only issue i had were mosquitoes getting my hands periodically but id just re apply off and i'd be good for a couple of more hours.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I usually hunt solo on private property but yeah, it’s going to be a challenging hunt for sure. I’m looking forward to seeing some diverse wildlife.

Comment

Goodluck to everyone. My group will be there for the archery hunt Nov 16-20.

Comment

Working...
                                X