Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marucci drop 8 30/21

Comment

We are out of North Austin area. Leander to be exact. I’m not sure what we are going to do yet. We have been a majors team since 10u and able to win the majority of the tournaments we entered. When this merger happened many of the kids left and went to THZ. We will see, there are many good kids left but this whole price thing has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Answer to the bat question. My 9 year old swings a 30”-8 cat7 and my 12u swings a Louisville 917. Both great bats

Comment

Originally posted by KevBow View Post
        What Bat do y’all have for your 12 year old? Length and weight also?
        Cat 7 30” -8.

He’s 5’ 2” and 105lbs and could handle a 31” but he likes this one and the bat speed for now.

Comment

Thanks for the bat info. I’m going to be getting my nephew a new bat for Christmas

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyOrtiz View Post
            We are out of North Austin area. Leander to be exact. I’m not sure what we are going to do yet. We have been a majors team since 10u and able to win the majority of the tournaments we entered. When this merger happened many of the kids left and went to THZ. We will see, there are many good kids left but this whole price thing has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Answer to the bat question. My 9 year old swings a 30”-8 cat7 and my 12u swings a Louisville 917. Both great bats
            I would say for that kinda of money the coaches better be top notch! After 35+ years of playing and coaching, I have yet to see any select coaching that's worth what they charge. I have said this in the last thread be very careful and don't get caught up in the "Pro" coach half are not what they say. Just b/c they played Pro ball does not mean they know how to coach kids.

Comment

Ya I agree.. most are very undependable, unreliable, and self serving. I was telling my wife there is a reason these guys have chosen this profession when she gets frustrated by lack of communications. I have to laugh at emails I receive with so many misspellings and lack of punctuation. I have not been real impressed so far. Usually if you have a good group of parents that let whoever is coaching coach, the kids will succeed. This all gets F’ed up with parents who thinks Johnny should be a starting SS and the kid is afraid of the ball.

Comment

I always laugh when a "Pro Coach" that's 25 says how good the kids will be under him and talks about his career in the majors. I always think unless injured why are you coaching select ball and not still playing in MLB at 25 year old? There are a ton of older players that just won't give it up that are not very good at coaching. I will say they know the game just bad at coaching, but very good at lessons. The biggest problem in select ball is the parents most of the time. When things are good everyone is happy, but when losing they start talking among themselves and things go bad in a hurry.

Comment

I have two kids playing now....its been just my daughter last couple years but my son is playing also. He is 16 and probably last year on this team...He took a break during football season and now started back...first day back hit a dinger dead center field out of park...Kid loves baseball so much he almost didn't play football but small school needed their offensive left tackle. He watches video constantly, purchased his own stuff, tools, workout stuff, etc... wants to play baseball! He is 6'2, 228 and been pitching and playing 3rd....occasionally first after pitching tournament weekend...

My daughter is a serious little baller as well. She is 13 and loves playing.....she does well! We went to a Mississippi tournament last year with her team.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Bobby. If I was living there I would check out SWE. Southwest Elite - we live a little far away.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                      Bobby. If I was living there I would check out SWE. Southwest Elite - we live a little far away.
                      SWE is now EvoShield Canes Southwest. They affiliated with the Canes about the same time they acquired Aces Baseball.

Comment

Sounds like Evoshield is taking over the area?

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyOrtiz View Post
                          Ya I agree.. most are very undependable, unreliable, and self serving. I was telling my wife there is a reason these guys have chosen this profession when she gets frustrated by lack of communications. I have to laugh at emails I receive with so many misspellings and lack of punctuation. I have not been real impressed so far. Usually if you have a good group of parents that let whoever is coaching coach, the kids will succeed. This all gets F’ed up with parents who thinks Johnny should be a starting SS and the kid is afraid of the ball.
                          Bobby, if you don't mind me asking, what club were you guys with prior to this season? You can PM me if you would prefer. I won't be offended if you don't want to share. The only reason I ask is that I have a 13yo 8th grader who plays for Action. He played last fall, last spring, sat out this fall and only played football, now headed back to them this spring. I personally think they are a good club, I really like the guys who run things and I feel they have the kids best interest at heart. They also have a solid high school/showcase program which I personally feel is a big plus if you have kids that will be interested in those things.

We started out in rec. ball in Round Rock. Another guy and myself decided to take our all star team from our last season of 10u and play some select tournaments that next fall just to see what it was all about. I ended up helping coach two years in the select world and finally bowed out and decided to get my son in a program that he can continue with into high school if he chooses. We've played most of the teams in the central Texas area at one point or another. We've also had several of our former players go over to many of these teams. At the end of the day, typically the new wears off and the parents realize that its all just kids playing baseball, any way you slice it up. There typically isn't anything magical that happens with any of these programs other than your wallet gets much lighter.

Over the years, our experience has been mostly positive, although we've seen it all at one time or another. Thank goodness that we've typically always had a good group of parents with every team that we have been with. We only had one fall where we had a not so great group of parents. In all honesty it was just a hand full of parents who were the problem but it only takes a few. Thank goodness I was out of coaching by then and it was the clubs problem to have to deal with. Its sorta funny really, the club we were with took in a group of kids from a well known yet somewhat controversial program that had shut down their Austin club. The name starts with a "B" and ends with an "S". I'll just leave it at that since those of you who have been around select baseball for a while should know who I'm talking about. These parents were terrible. I'm convinced that several of these kids will be lucky to make it through high school baseball with their parents overbearing ways. Its a shame really, we had a good group of kids and they were really talented as a whole. We were probably one of the best 12u teams that fall in the Austin area. The parent's were the problem at the end of the day which is unfortunate.

One thing I've noticed with the dozens of kids who I've coached and known for years now is how many of them hop from club to club, some of them from fall to spring to fall to spring. Its crazy to me. Funny thing is, they never find what they are looking for. Here's a news flash, no club is gonna make your kid a superstar when they are average or below average players. Get them with a program that you believe in and get out of the way. Too many parents worry about gloves, bats, private lessons, what some prospective club promises, etc.... Here's the deal, kids are going to progress based on two things, hard work and dedication and God given talent. I know plenty of kids who's parents fork out big bucks for baseball and they play year round. Their kids are still below average players. I know every parent wants the best for their kids, but at some point you have to just step back and let things take their natural course.

My son is eaten up with baseball. I constantly have to tell him, relax, your 13, you'll be fine. Work hard and if God has it in his plan for you to become a college or pro player, it'll happen. In the mean time, enjoy life, work hard, love the game, and HAVE FUN.

Good luck everyone this spring.
                          Last edited by rockyraider; 12-10-2017, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post
                            Sounds like Evoshield is taking over the area?
                            No, Southwest Elite was already in the process of acquiring Aces before affiliating with EvoShield Canes.

There has been a bit of change/consolidation over the past 6 months in the area. Central Texas has been a watered down market which effects the high school level the most. A lot of the consolidation is aimed at making the high school programs more competitive at the regional and national level. The youth programs that are part of these organizations are just tagging along.

Austin Elite, Clutch Athletics and Colts all merged into Lone Star Baseball Club with the stated purpose of being more competitive at the high school level. The youth programs will all fly under the Lone Star flag but continue to operate separately. It's about taking the best few kids from each of these formerly separate programs to the WWBA and other big tourneys and being in a position to compete. It also allows them to combine their recruiting and college placement efforts.

Texas Fire merged into Wings

Southwest Elite became an affiliate with EvoShield Canes and acquired Aces and their field.

Comment

In

Comment

For the first time I am going to step aside from coaching and let my son and few boys from my team go play we’re they can get a different experience. 13U Majors. Not sure of what team yet but they played with Ennis Outlaws this last fall.

Comment

Working...
                                X