No announcement yet.

Any square body guys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a 83 long bed. Red with tan in the middle. Liked the looks. Lost transmission at 30k miles. 305 was a dog. Frame cracked at steering box. Religiously changed oil at 3500 miles, engine was a piece of crap at 110K. Brakes were so so. Always had trouble making emissions. Couldn't haul more than 500 lbs without squatting it down.

Had a 77 big 12 that was like a 3/4 ton. Ran it for 500k miles, only put 2 engines and one transmission in it (turbo 350).

Lets face it. Chevy and the others didn't make the trucks to last. Engines had a hard time getting more than 100k until they got fuel injection and the one piece rear main seal. And look at today, they routinely get 300k without major repairs.

The 2 greatest advances in my lifetime are electronic fuel injection, and total electronic engine management. That being said, I hate both of them because the average shade tree guy like me doesn't know how to work on them. I probably could have learned, but I spent those years learning to work on large tonnage a/c equipment so I could make a living doing something I enjoyed.

I like the looks, like the 67 to72, and the 40 and 50's better.

Comment

Been working it for a living since "89.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
        I had a 83 long bed. Red with tan in the middle. Liked the looks. Lost transmission at 30k miles. 305 was a dog. Frame cracked at steering box. Religiously changed oil at 3500 miles, engine was a piece of crap at 110K. Brakes were so so. Always had trouble making emissions. Couldn't haul more than 500 lbs without squatting it down.

Had a 77 big 12 that was like a 3/4 ton. Ran it for 500k miles, only put 2 engines and one transmission in it (turbo 350).

Lets face it. Chevy and the others didn't make the trucks to last. Engines had a hard time getting more than 100k until they got fuel injection and the one piece rear main seal. And look at today, they routinely get 300k without major repairs.

The 2 greatest advances in my lifetime are electronic fuel injection, and total electronic engine management. That being said, I hate both of them because the average shade tree guy like me doesn't know how to work on them. I probably could have learned, but I spent those years learning to work on large tonnage a/c equipment so I could make a living doing something I enjoyed.

I like the looks, like the 67 to72, and the 40 and 50's better.
        I grew up at the same time and saw the same thing. I own a 2015 car and keep fixing my old truck and my old motorcycle. It's a good compromise for me.

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
          I’m considering looking into an early 80s square body, but was curious if there is something outside the normal i should be looking for or keep an eye out for? Any suggestions are appreciated..
          Also what’s yalls color scheme? I like the red An white, but i remember A brown and camo one posted on here that looked amazing but can’t seem to find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this the brown and camo one you're thinking of?

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
            11,000 original miles in a 4x4?! Mind if I ask what ya got for that? My brother just bought a 93 with 114 k and they aren’t cheap.

I sold it for 20

Comment

Originally posted by 79F250 View Post
              I like that, but it makes it look too much like a Ford![emoji23]

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post
                I need to finish mine
                Geez

Slacker!!!!!!

I sure miss my '74 K10. Well except for maybe the 6mpg part. It was solid Kelly Green.

Comment

I owned a 1972 K5 Blazer original two tone paint with hard top and sold it for 1600.00 in 1988 so I could get a down payment on a new HD Heritage Softail.

But I did buy a 1974 IH Scout for 800.00 that same year, it was a pile of junk but I still liked it. We coon hunted out of it for one season and ruined it. (You can never get rid of dog poop smell inside a 1974 Scout.)

I did own a 1986 Chevy PU with a massive 305 v8 and it came stock with a 4 spd granny trans.
                  Last edited by Radar; 04-05-2018, 06:06 AM.

Comment

I had a 84 short box . Im a Ford guy but I still like the square body Chevy's.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

CLEAN 2 OWNER TEXAS TRUCK, STOCK W/ UPGRADED A/C, PS/B W/ FRT DISC, PW, PL, NICE

Here y'all go

Comment

Originally posted by 79F250 View Post

Awesome truck! Especially since it's a Ford. What is that compartment on the side of the bed?

Comment

I had a 78 green GMC 1500 around 1991. I had some transmission issues, the guy I bought it from abused it. One of those deals it was so cheap so I was willing to handle repairs. I only had it about a year then I sold it to move to Alabama with my then girlfriend, now wife. I did not trust driving it from PA to AL, it was beat.

Comment

I know where there is a redone step-side chevy square body for sale

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                              Awesome truck! Especially since it's a Ford. What is that compartment on the side of the bed?
                              That is a locking toolbox. My dad custom ordered his 73 F100 with one of those and it was pretty cool. That ended up being my first truck and it was surprising how much stuff you could fit in that toolbox and it all stayed dry and safe.

Comment

sure like the body style and looks I got a 94 z71 I would trade for one

Comment

Working...
                                X