No announcement yet.

AC condenser not coming on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright im back home and its still hot in texas! I checked the thermostat wires. Connections were solid but had a good bit of wire exposed outside of the nuts due to insulation rotating away. Probably from sun exposure. I rewired them. At that point i was still getting the super loud buzzing from the contactor. I removed, disassembled, and cleaned it. I reinstalled it and the buzzing is gone. I also tested the contactor with a multimeter even though it is almost new. The thermostat is engaging the contactor as it should. Even tested it to make sure i was getting voltage on the back side after it engaged.

No sound of compressor or fan motor trying to come on. Fan still spins freely.

Im learning as i go but i dont see how they could not come on unless the capacitor is bad. With power to the unit, i have 120 on everly leg of the capacitor. It shows zero sign of failure.

Comment

So i checked my working unit for comparison and it has 240 on both legs coming out of the capacitor. So that means my cap on the dead unit with only 120 coming out of it is bad....right?

Comment

I got it figured out. I lost a leg of power. I did not realize it because when i checked them independently to ground coming into the contactor, i got 120 on both. I talked to a friend and he said to check them together. I got nothing with that. I opened up the outside breaker and sure enough i only had power on one leg. One side of the breaker had tripped at the panel. If this thing keeps dieing on me, i will be an hvac expert in no time.

Comment

Good for you and persevering through it!!!

Comment

Good job!! But why did only one side trip?

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
              I got it figured out. I lost a leg of power. I did not realize it because when i checked them independently to ground coming into the contactor, i got 120 on both. I talked to a friend and he said to check them together. I got nothing with that. I opened up the outside breaker and sure enough i only had power on one leg. One side of the breaker had tripped at the panel. If this thing keeps dieing on me, i will be an hvac expert in no time.
              Number one rule when AC unit quits is to check and reset the breaker(s) first before anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
                I would check you phone book for a A/C guy.

Good luck not a good time to be with out cold air.
                Good luck on finding a phone book. They are rapidly becoming antique. Our companies have ceased to deliver them...

Comment

Working...
                X