GM 5.3 at 23-24 mpg city and up to 27 hwy

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
      GM 5.3 at 23-24 mpg city and up to 27 hwy

Maybe if you drive like a grandpa Jeffy. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
        Not in ours. We did have slightly bigger tires, but not 3mpg less bigger. If you get 16 I would hold onto that truck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
        Agreed! That's a keeper. We're on our second 5.7 and it's 13-14mpg without a trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by JoseyWales82 View Post
          I like my 5.3.

Had a 2002 z71 5.3 and it seemed to have more power then my recent trucks.

Also had a 2015 4x4 5.3 (not z71) and it consistently got 17.6mpg. Donated to Harvey.

Currently in a 2018 z71 5.3 and get 15.2mpg.

Stock size tires on all.

Its hard to judge MPG unless everyone includes tire size and transmission info. 4x2 vs 4x4 makes a big difference. Even z71 vs typical 4x4 has made more of a difference then I expected.

I will say, Im not sure I like the V8 to V4 switch. You can definitely feel it lag sometimes. Im sure it makes a difference in the gas mileage game though.
          I still have my 2002 Z71 and I feel the same way! Had a 2013 F250 6.2l and compared to my 2002 it was a slug! Maybe not in raw power, but off the line and acceleration my 2002 was way quicker ( I know, its lighter ). Just bought a 2014 Z71 and it is not as sluggish as the F250 but still less pep than the 2002.

Comment

Originally posted by Nailhead View Post
            Ive got a 2012 Silverado with the 5.3L. About to roll 160k and its been running strong. Been a great truck overall. I do like the interior much better on the 2015 and newer Chevys though. The 2500's with the 6.0L I hear is still pretty much bullet proof as well.
            Originally posted by Artos View Post
            I think GM's 6.0 is one of the most reliable gassers out there...my tranny crapped out with 335k miles & engine was still going strong.
            Originally posted by GRIZZ64 View Post
            My 2004 Silverado 6.0 has 350,000 plus. Still my daily driver. Still drive it daily on a 140 mile round trip commute.

I'm looking at the 6.0's now. I've been looking HARD at the half ton's but the majority of them are short beds and I need a longer bed, especially once I drop a tool box in it. Definitely need a 3/4 ton truck. The search continues...

Comment

My '01 Ford V6 SOHC had 317,000 miles.

Buddy haa an '01 GMC 1500 with the 5.3 that has 327,000

My 98 GMC has the 5.7 it's got 171,000 on it

Comment

Hard to beat any of the LS Chevrolet motors. A couple of years had the active fuel management issue of eating up lifters and then taking everything else out. There is also theory to support that AFM is causing the oil consumption issues as well. Also these motors have great aftermarket support and they respond to modification very well.

Comment

I miss GM's 350.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                    98 GMC has the 5.7
                    This all day. About 5 moving parts, all of which are dirt cheap.

Comment

Have an 18 5.0 Ford. I am pleased with it.

Comment

Tundra

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                          5.7l in the tundra is a beast. Fuel mileage is 13mpg at best though

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                          Originally posted by Walker View Post
                          Wow, I get 16 all day long
                          I agree with Walker. I get 16-18 all day. Even pulling my 3500 pound camper, I get between 9 and 12 believe it or not

Comment

Hurry up and decide Johnny! You got a lot of information here. Wow.

Post up pics when you do pick up your new ride.

Comment

Don’t get the Chevy 5.3, gutless pos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                                I'm looking at the 6.0's now. I've been looking HARD at the half ton's but the majority of them are short beds and I need a longer bed, especially once I drop a tool box in it. Definitely need a 3/4 ton truck. The search continues...
                                My new F150 is a long bed & it really helps compared to the more common short which I view as all squaty...the crew cab 1/2 tons really sacrificed bed room for the larger interior. I think the long bed 1/2 tons look more proportionate as well.

You are on the right track, the long beds in the 3/4 tons seem to have WAAYYY more room & you can put a decent size box in.

Good luck, the 6.0 really has a proven record for longevity. Not much in the giddy up department but bullet proof.

Comment

Working...
                                X