Nicer things?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nicer things?

I have had this conversation with many people over the years. There are some things that I don't mind paying more money for as long as the value to me is worth it.

For example I have purchased fishing reels that are in excess of 1k, even though the initial cost is high up front the overall cost to me is much lower than buying something less expensive. I have purchased several Van Staal reels that are totally sealed that I have used for surf fishing and they have lasted me more than 10 years now. If any of you guys have fished the surf regularly you know that the saltwater tears up reels. I have actually had these reels for 11 years so that comes out to less than 100 dollars per year. To me that is awesome. Compare that to spending 200 dollars on a "good" reel and it last you a couple of years and then you have to buy a new one, assuming it actually last a couple of years.

With that same idea what do you guys think of buying things that will last years versus a couple of years?

"Buy once. Cry once."

Comment

im a cheap azz.. but when it comes to my surfboards or gear I will spend some coin.. No difference with tools, gotta have the correct equipment for the job

Now fishing reels definitely can vary, if its surf reels that I will be wading getting wet then I buy the 35$ shimanos and toss them after a month or so of hard fishing...

Comment

Its your money, and you are the one using the reels/rods/whatever, so who cares what others say?

Comment

Buy the good stuff your grandkids will thank you.

Comment

for me it depends on how much I use it....if it is a seldom used item I look for cheap. if it is a frequently used item I look closer. Expensive does not always equal quality...plus I look hard for quality used items. a lot of times u can get great quality for a good price if you buy gently used.

Comment

Power tools and hand tools. Even though I don't use them every day to make my living I can't stand to use cheaply made tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                for me it depends on how much I use it....if it is a seldom used item I look for cheap. if it is a frequently used item I look closer. Expensive does not always equal quality...plus I look hard for quality used items. a lot of times u can get great quality for a good price if you buy gently used.
                I agree with the 2nd half of this. Almost everything I buy when it comes to hunting and fishing is usually very high quality but used. I don't buy new trucks, bows or guns with very few exceptions.

Comment

I’m one cheap SOB, admittedly. But when it comes to a lot of thing I take the “buy once, cry once” mentality. I’d rather save up and buy something nice than buy cheap and have to replace it.

Comment

Tools are a good example....I like to buy Craftsman quality rather than Snap On quality....I don't think there is enough of an increase in quality to justify the much higher price. But there are certain things that I will buy at Harbor Freight...and a lot I wont

Comment

I buy quality (or try to anyway). And most of the time, quality cost more. But my reasoning is that my time is so limited, when I need something to work, I need it to work and not have to deal with fixing it, getting it fixed, or going and buying a new one. Because that takes extra time the I typically don’t have

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                        "Buy once. Cry once."
                        Have it stolen once

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysinshorts View Post
                          I have had this conversation with many people over the years. There are some things that I don't mind paying more money for as long as the value to me is worth it.

For example I have purchased fishing reels that are in excess of 1k, even though the initial cost is high up front the overall cost to me is much lower than buying something less expensive. I have purchased several Van Staal reels that are totally sealed that I have used for surf fishing and they have lasted me more than 10 years now. If any of you guys have fished the surf regularly you know that the saltwater tears up reels. I have actually had these reels for 11 years so that comes out to less than 100 dollars per year. To me that is awesome. Compare that to spending 200 dollars on a "good" reel and it last you a couple of years and then you have to buy a new one, assuming it actually last a couple of years.

With that same idea what do you guys think of buying things that will last years versus a couple of years?
                          I'd like to hear a list of what people think is worth more money. I don't mind paying more IF I know it's going to last.

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                          Which is why I like to hear what people have bought that's actually much better. Hate spending double or triple and then it break just the same as a cheap one.

I spend money on 3 good guns. Then have my regular cheaper ones. They all shoot but a couple are really nice.

And spent on my Tacoma versus a cheaper truck

I avoid the really cheap sushi

Comment

I've eaten sushi at a 7-11, twice. That pretty much says it all.

Comment

Originally posted by riverbowman View Post
                              I've eaten sushi at a 7-11, twice. That pretty much says it all.
                              Haha

Comment

Working...
                              X