Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
    How did your duck hunting go this year?
    Are you still setting up on out of bounds waters?

Comment

Heading out in the AM to do a little post season scouting! Love getting in the woods!

Comment

i was there last weekend it sure was better then sweating, dodging spiderwebs and snakes

Comment

Lbj is a great place for kids and locals but **** I’m glad I have my own lease this year, wont miss my hunt being ruined 5 times this year by some dumbass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hogman$ View Post
            i was there last weekend it sure was better then sweating, dodging spiderwebs and snakes
            Did you kill anything at LBJ this year? I saw you had a good season!

Comment

Originally posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
              Lbj is a great place for kids and locals but **** I’m glad I have my own lease this year, wont miss my hunt being ruined 5 times this year by some dumbass

I drive about 1 1/2 hour and I have a good time and get to know areas pretty well. If I had to drive 3+ hours to have people walk through my setups, I'd be upset too.

Comment

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
                Did you kill anything at LBJ this year? I saw you had a good season!

Yea I had a good year and yes I ended up taking this 8 point

Comment

I drive about 1 1/2 hour and I have a good time and get to know areas pretty well. If I had to drive 3+ hours to have people walk through my setups, I'd be upset too.

I lived in Denton for work for a year strictly fir work up until this last month, only drove 30 mins to get to lbj and I hunted it 4-5 days a week, camera got stolen, someone stole my yeti cooler while I was camping, and 12 hunts ruined due to dogs and idiots

You couldn’t pay me to hunt at lbj again

Comment

Originally posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
                    I lived in Denton for work for a year strictly fir work up until this last month, only drove 30 mins to get to lbj and I hunted it 4-5 days a week, camera got stolen, someone stole my yeti cooler while I was camping, and 12 hunts ruined due to dogs and idiots

You couldn’t pay me to hunt at lbj again

Wow that's pretty bad.

Comment

Wow that's pretty bad.
                      only reason why I kept coming back is I had 3-4 nice deer on camera, but ive plenty of nice deer that were bigger than those and just opted to never come back after my last hunt was ruined by random dogs

Comment

Had a good year duck hunting. Shot ducks every hunt. 6 two man limits as well.

Comment

I have no idea how to turkey hunt but I really want to try this year. I don't even know where to start...

Anybody got good pointers for me?

Comment

THP turkey tour will give you some pointers. Our Rio grandes are not as wary as easterns. I usually scout by getting out before light and listening. Then walking and stopping periodically. Look for scratching and poop under trees. If you can find a roost, watch which way they go when they get down. They don't always go the same way but you can set up close to the roost and call them in.
                            Hearing an enexpected gobble 10 yards behind you when your set up is something you won't forget.

Full camo that matches the surroundings. Once they get within 75 yards, have your gun up on your knee and ready. Don't move.

If you don't hear them for a while don't assume they aren't coming. I don't know how many times I've fell asleep, woke up and stood up only to see them 50 yards away. The only things you really need are camo, a call and a shotgun. Next on the list is a cushion. Next would be a turkey vest. Get a slate call unless you're used to a mouth call. Learn to imitate a hen. Don't worry about the gobble at first. Get the sound and cadence down. The hen starts slow and speeds up. Learn the cluck. I use four sequential yelps starting slow and speeding up. The sound builds a little over the process.

Once you've called in a few Rios and think your hot stuff, go try to call an Eastern. They'll gather in the nearest meadow and laugh at you while smoking cigs and popping beers. I know this from experience.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                              THP turkey tour will give you some pointers. Our Rio grandes are not as wary as easterns. I usually scout by getting out before light and listening. Then walking and stopping periodically. Look for scratching and poop under trees. If you can find a roost, watch which way they go when they get down. They don't always go the same way but you can set up close to the roost and call them in.
                              Hearing an enexpected gobble 10 yards behind you when your set up is something you won't forget.

Full camo that matches the surroundings. Once they get within 75 yards, have your gun up on your knee and ready. Don't move.

If you don't hear them for a while don't assume they aren't coming. I don't know how many times I've fell asleep, woke up and stood up only to see them 50 yards away. The only things you really need are camo, a call and a shotgun. Next on the list is a cushion. Next would be a turkey vest. Get a slate call unless you're used to a mouth call. Learn to imitate a hen. Don't worry about the gobble at first. Get the sound and cadence down. The hen starts slow and speeds up. Learn the cluck. I use four sequential yelps starting slow and speeding up. The sound builds a little over the process.

Once you've called in a few Rios and think your hot stuff, go try to call an Eastern. They'll gather in the nearest meadow and laugh at you while smoking cigs and popping beers. I know this from experience.
                              Great info, I'm gunna try it! Thank you!

Comment

I keep finding these spots back in the timber that I would classify as 'primary scrape areas' since there are 3-4 large scrapes in very close proximity. I can't wait to try these spots next year. Keep getting this big 8 pointer all over this unit.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X