Feeder Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeder Questions

I hunt 40 acres in Harrison County in NETX. Heavy hunting pressure all around. I currently run 3 feeders straight corn. I am trying to run them all year because I am trying to pull deer and hold them which I know is impossible. I live 4.5 hours away and only get there about once every month or 2.

1. Is 3 feeders too many?
    2. How many feeders should I run?
    3. How long should I set them to run?
    4. When the time changes such as DST can I just keep my feeders set on the same time all year to avoid changing the time twice a year?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I hunt my home property, which is 47 acres. Personally, i only run a single feeder for 3 seconds in the AM and PM.

Comment

I've never hunted that area but in my experience unless you are where the corn is there basic nutrition source the deer are going to do what they want. When I hunted Sonora area and west texas you had basically the same deer there every day looking for a meal. Now, I rarely see the same deer on camera more than once or twice a week since they have other food sources. As mentioned I would just stick with one feeder for corn. I will say I built a homemade protein feeder and the frequency the deer showed up increased so ya might look into that. I have even put sweet feed in it and had good results . Just a little info I have found but as always there will be many different opinions due to personal preferences and hunting areas

Comment

I have 55 acres and I have 2 feeders running year round, also have 2 small food plots been pretty successful keeping deer in the area.

Comment

I'd put out some cotton seed

Comment

Any other ideas?

Comment

Not more than two, one would probably be better, but I don't know your place. Shape of the property and terrain needs to be considered as well as your intentions. Are you going to hunt over them ? Rifle, bow, or both ? Food plots are a good idea, because deer will use them year 'round, unlike corn, which in ETexas is mainly a cooler weather draw for deer, but a 24/7/365 draw for hogs. You may want hogs, I don't, but to each his own.

I run mine (3 on 217 acres) for 4 seconds in the morning and 3 in the afternoon, but it depends on how close your plate is to the the funnel how much corn it slings.

Mine go off at 8:00 and 5:00. This puts them slinging at 7:00 and 4:00 during the winter, which works well for me. Unless it's really cold, these ETexas deer feed when they **** well want to, unlike the Central and West Texas deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                Not more than two, one would probably be better, but I don't know your place. Shape of the property and terrain needs to be considered as well as your intentions. Are you going to hunt over them ? Rifle, bow, or both ? Food plots are a good idea, because deer will use them year 'round, unlike corn, which in ETexas is mainly a cooler weather draw for deer, but a 24/7/365 draw for hogs. You may want hogs, I don't, but to each his own.

I run mine (3 on 217 acres) for 4 seconds in the morning and 3 in the afternoon, but it depends on how close your plate is to the the funnel how much corn it slings.

Mine go off at 8:00 and 5:00. This puts them slinging at 7:00 and 4:00 during the winter, which works well for me. Unless it's really cold, these ETexas deer feed when they **** well want to, unlike the Central and West Texas deer.

Thanks. I do hunt over them. 2 are on a pipeline (opposite ends) and 1 is on an old railroad tram. All 3 can be see from the same rifle box blind. I definitely want to move 1 to a path we have going through the pines. Maybe 2 on the pipeline is too many. I would like to have 1 that can be hunted over with bow or rifle. Did not do food plots because I am trying to let the place grow up as much as possible because of all the hunting pressure. I was thinking maybe thickets except for the roads we keep mowed would create sanctuaries.

Comment

I hunt 305 acres in Harrison county and we went from 8 feeders last year to 4 feeders this year running both corn and protein and have had better results. They really don't touch one feeder but they hit the other three all the time. We are seeing more bucks as well this year. I would recommend run one corn and one protein feeder, nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by SnJGuin View Post
                    I hunt 305 acres in Harrison county and we went from 8 feeders last year to 4 feeders this year running both corn and protein and have had better results. They really don't touch one feeder but they hit the other three all the time. We are seeing more bucks as well this year. I would recommend run one corn and one protein feeder, nothing more.
                    What are some names of some protein brands and can protein be fed in spin feeders? Would corn/soybean mix be sufficient?

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
                      Thanks. I do hunt over them. 2 are on a pipeline (opposite ends) and 1 is on an old railroad tram. All 3 can be see from the same rifle box blind. I definitely want to move 1 to a path we have going through the pines. Maybe 2 on the pipeline is too many. I would like to have 1 that can be hunted over with bow or rifle. Did not do food plots because I am trying to let the place grow up as much as possible because of all the hunting pressure. I was thinking maybe thickets except for the roads we keep mowed would create sanctuaries.
                      I don't know how long the pipeline is, or how wide, but it can't grow up in cover because they have to keep it mowed every two or three years. Contact the pipeline operator, and tell them you want to plant it. Everything should be buried 2'/3' deep, well below tilling depth. It will make a great food plot !

Stands at both ends is no problem if they are for different wind directions. Your stand placement should take wind into consideration, as well as how you access them on different winds without getting busted, but that's a different conversation.

Sanctuaries are great to hold deer, but they still need food and water to make your place attractive. If you don't have the equipment or expertise to do food plots, I can help with that. Starting this spring, I'm gonna be doing a little food plot work for others if they're close enough to be feasible.

Comment

I have 44 acres that I hunt I'm running 2 corn feeders both spin 4 times a day twice morning and evening set very short, I also have 1 cotton seed feeder and a trough that I hand feed roasted soybeans and corn mix I don't hunt this location ever.

Comment

What are some names of some protein brands and can protein be fed in spin feeders? Would corn/soybean mix be sufficient?
                          I buy my protein from Livengood (16 to 20% protein) since they are local to my house. Try to get the water resistant protein if you can, otherwise it can swell and clogg the spinners. I think you can use your referenced mix, just give them time to adapt to it if they don't hit it immediately. I say try different things until you find out what works for your hunting lease. We even did a mix corn and protein in ours and that worked too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SnJGuin View Post
                            I buy my protein from Livengood (16 to 20% protein) since they are local to my house. Try to get the water resistant protein if you can, otherwise it can swell and clogg the spinners. I think you can use your referenced mix, just give them time to adapt to it if they don't hit it immediately. I say try different things until you find out what works for your hunting lease. We even did a mix corn and protein in ours and that worked too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
                            Thanks. Where are you hunting in Harrison County?

Comment

I hunt 40 acres in Harrison County in NETX. Heavy hunting pressure all around. I currently run 3 feeders straight corn. I am trying to run them all year because I am trying to pull deer and hold them which I know is impossible. I live 4.5 hours away and only get there about once every month or 2.

1. Is 3 feeders too many?
                              2. How many feeders should I run?
                              3. How long should I set them to run?
                              4. When the time changes such as DST can I just keep my feeders set on the same time all year to avoid changing the time twice a year?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
                              What type of terrain and trees are the 40 acres on? All pine? All hardwood?

1. I would run 1 feeder for 40 acres.
                              2. 1 with the addition of a large food plot if possible! 2-4 acre.
                              3. Depends on the activity. Large Acorn crop turn them off. No acorn crop turn them up. Let the activity dictate that for you.
                              4. Its OK to not change the times based off of DST, but you will have to adjust the times based off of the Sunrise/Sunset.

Fell free to PM me if you have any questions!

Comment

Working...
                              X