Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1964 ad for WD-40... my have times changed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No way.

Comment

In the town where I grew up there was a man who ran the local filling station. His name was Skeeter. Don’t know where he got the name. When WD 40 came out he told all the local farmers how good of a product it was. I guess he “over sold” it. The locals started calling it Skeeter Pee. It stuck and to this day if you say Skeeter Pee anyone within twenty miles of Rowena Texas knows what you are talking about. ��

Comment

I remember that ad, and I thought it was pretty racy at the time. I was just a kid, but I could read between those lines.....

Comment

Watch out before someone gets offended these days and your thread gets whacked lol .
          Good one for sure !!!!

Comment

It’s very good on psoriasis also.

Comment

55 years ago...…….whew

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
                In the town where I grew up there was a man who ran the local filling station. His name was Skeeter. Don’t know where he got the name. When WD 40 came out he told all the local farmers how good of a product it was. I guess he “over sold” it. The locals started calling it Skeeter Pee. It stuck and to this day if you say Skeeter Pee anyone within twenty miles of Rowena Texas knows what you are talking about. ��
                This forum needs more Bud.

Comment

It is fake; debunked on several websites.

From one:

"The ad was discussed on Reddit back in late 2014, and one reader there found a reference to the text in a usenet post back in 2000.

The first clue that the ad is not real can be found in the text. The official name of the product was never written with a space – even in the early 1960’s – as shown in the graphic above. A hyphen has always been used in ads for the product. The text is also too uniform to match the changing texture of the background. This is especially noticeable where the word “Do” appears over a torn or stained section, but does not look different than the rest of the text as would be expected.

WD-40 RESPONSE
                  Even though – based on the clues above – we were reasonably convinced the graphic was fake, we decided to reach out to the company in hopes of confirming or denying that the graphic is in fact not real. We received a response from an Assistant Brand Manager, who told us the following.

WD-40 Company does not believe that the ad that has been making the rounds on the Internet – and is purported to be an actual ad from the 1960s – is real. We first saw this document in late October, and have not been able to verify its existence through our internal records.

In addition, there are several features of the ad that lead us to believe it is not accurate and has been created more recently. First, the paper in the ad appears old and wrinkled, but the type on the ad does not, which indicates the text is probably something that was added to a digital background. Second, we would have likely used WD-40 with a hyphen, which does not appear in the ad. And third, it is highly unlikely that WD-40 Company would have authorized such an ad, even in the 60s when ad standards were less stringent than they are now.

We do have some of our actual historical ads on our website at http://wd40.com/gallery under the Historical USA Ads tab.

BOTTOM LINE

The 1964 WD-40 ad filled with sexual overtones is not real. A company representative told us they only first saw the document in October 2014 and have no record of the ad. They also noted that the name is not presented properly, using a hyphen, which is one of many clues that it’s fake.

Updated December 9, 2015
                  Originally published April 2015"

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                    It is fake; debunked on several websites.

From one:

"The ad was discussed on Reddit back in late 2014, and one reader there found a reference to the text in a usenet post back in 2000.

The first clue that the ad is not real can be found in the text. The official name of the product was never written with a space – even in the early 1960’s – as shown in the graphic above. A hyphen has always been used in ads for the product. The text is also too uniform to match the changing texture of the background. This is especially noticeable where the word “Do” appears over a torn or stained section, but does not look different than the rest of the text as would be expected.

WD-40 RESPONSE
                    Even though – based on the clues above – we were reasonably convinced the graphic was fake, we decided to reach out to the company in hopes of confirming or denying that the graphic is in fact not real. We received a response from an Assistant Brand Manager, who told us the following.

WD-40 Company does not believe that the ad that has been making the rounds on the Internet – and is purported to be an actual ad from the 1960s – is real. We first saw this document in late October, and have not been able to verify its existence through our internal records.

In addition, there are several features of the ad that lead us to believe it is not accurate and has been created more recently. First, the paper in the ad appears old and wrinkled, but the type on the ad does not, which indicates the text is probably something that was added to a digital background. Second, we would have likely used WD-40 with a hyphen, which does not appear in the ad. And third, it is highly unlikely that WD-40 Company would have authorized such an ad, even in the 60s when ad standards were less stringent than they are now.

We do have some of our actual historical ads on our website at http://wd40.com/gallery under the Historical USA Ads tab.

BOTTOM LINE

The 1964 WD-40 ad filled with sexual overtones is not real. A company representative told us they only first saw the document in October 2014 and have no record of the ad. They also noted that the name is not presented properly, using a hyphen, which is one of many clues that it’s fake.

Updated December 9, 2015
                    Originally published April 2015"

You remember this one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                      Try it mayhem, report back [emoji16]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
                      I think the smell would tip her off before the action started.

Comment

The trick is not to let your tool rust in the first place

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                          The trick is not to let your tool rust in the first place
                          Drink lots of beer and build a tool shed for it

Comment

So that's my problem? No WD-40!!!!!!!

Comment

Oh hell Randy, don't be such a party-pooper!! We got a good thing goin' right here, let us have some fun!!

And as far as the "Pill" ad, Haven't seen that ad, but Annette is one of my all time favorite childhood crushes!! Absolute shame what happened to her health! She was such a beautiful lady inside and out!

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                                I remember that ad, and I thought it was pretty racy at the time. I was just a kid, but I could read between those lines.....
                                You are literally fake news.

This is hilarious.

Comment

Working...
                                X