A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elgato View Post
    Set of sheds from the ranch. 190 3/8. I think 7 yr old.I thought him to be 178-180 in the field. His mass is over 41" and I tend to underscore heavy mass deer every time .
    At a glance, I had that deer at 165. The more i drill down on the numbers, the bigger he gets! I suck at scoring other folks deer from pics. How long are those beams? GIANT frame!

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
      At a glance, I had that deer at 165. The more i drill down on the numbers, the bigger he gets! I suck at scoring other folks deer from pics. How long are those beams? GIANT frame!
      That deer isn't an inch over ****in huge ...not sure what hell you're takin about.
      Beautiful frame..love it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

The buck carrying these sheds was one of the more deceptive bucks for me in a long time. As stated mass can fool me. It's why I have such a hard time judging deer here on the farm. They tend to be way more massive than S.TX and Mexico.All of his measurements are big...frame, tines, long brows, beams and he was a big deer. For me, its hard to look at a deer like that and say 190. I shot a 195" 10 pt a few years back but he looked that big cause he didn't have the mass or long brows but had super beams and tine length. I figured him over 190 but not this one . I will post a pic of him live when I start working on last years video.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
          Originally posted by systemnt View Post
          That deer isn't an inch over ****in huge ...not sure what hell you're takin about.
          Beautiful frame..love it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
          Originally posted by bounds View Post
          Looks great Rusty! Question for you. I've got some low areas in our fields that have held water through the big rains from the last 3 weeks (post planting). When you've had that, what do you do?

Most of the field is off to a great start, but a few places the seeds got drowned. Should I overseed those spots once it dries up?
          Situations like that are tough. I have numerous low spots that hold water and essentially they never grow anything well. I think the choices are to haul dirt and fill them in or accept they may not be as productive as the better drained soils.

Over time if your lucky enough to get growth in them , then the build up of organic matter will help with drainage. Depending on their size you may try something like durana in them which can grow in tough conditions.

Saw your '360' thread. Should be interesting to follow

Comment

Bounds, I have no idea why gar guy and systemnt got included in my response to you???
            They were supposed to be attached to the previous response. So much for my computer wizardry.

Comment

You clickyclicky one too many times in tapatalky?

Comment

The buck carrying these sheds was one of the more deceptive bucks for me in a long time. As stated mass can fool me. It's why I have such a hard time judging deer here on the farm. They tend to be way more massive than S.TX and Mexico.All of his measurements are big...frame, tines, long brows, beams and he was a big deer. For me, its hard to look at a deer like that and say 190. I shot a 195" 10 pt a few years back but he looked that big cause he didn't have the mass or long brows but had super beams and tine length. I figured him over 190 but not this one . I will post a pic of him live when I start working on last years video.
                I knew the 195 was that freakn big! This deer really had me though but i can see it as I drill down on the numbers. It will be great to compare live pics this year to last years pics now that we have solid data to compare. What a giant. i cant wait to see him progress.

Comment

Did someone say VIDEO????? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Video Can we please see some video This drama is killing me and probably a bunch more who are drooling in suspense

Comment

Your deer are truly amazing to look at, I know it makes you feel good about your place. Which is really looking good this year. Thumbs up

Comment

Living vicariously through you really enjoying this thread!

Comment

How's the growth coming?

Comment

Great thread!

Comment

Originally posted by roadkill54 View Post
                              Video Can we please see some video This drama is killing me and probably a bunch more who are drooling in suspense
                              hell, I will pay for a video just to see the animals you continually grow!

Comment

Couple of updates.

I spent an hour trying to create a you tube account and figure out how to transfer video here. I was unsuccessful. I'll keep trying.

I have planted sunn hemp the last few years and really like what it does for the soil. A question I've seen asked is if deer eat sunn hemp. Here is a pic showing where deer have eaten all the leaves off a plant. What you can't see is they also nipped all the growth buds from top at 5-6ft. Guess maybe they were standing on their hind legs.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X