Mississippi hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mississippi hunting?

Anybody hunt in Mississippi? Have a possible chance to hunt with a customer near Natchez,MS on 1250ac of private land.

Thanks!

Grew up there but haven't hunted much over there in several years. Most of Natchez area is really good hunting for everything. Especially the closer to the river that you get.

Comment

It has been a number of years but when I was hunting in MS it was outside of Stallo and there were tons of does but not many decent bucks. It was sure fun.

-john

Comment

Thanks, been texting him about it. I think we may try to set something up.

Comment

Anybody else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My cousin has a lease in that area. We keep talking about making a hunt together, but never seem to time it right.

It hold some nice deer.

Should be a good time.

Comment

Never hunted that area. But, I can say the northern part of the state has awesome hunting. Big deer with heavy antlers. My mom's side of the family is from Houston, Ms. which is about half way between Tupelo & Starkville. All of my deer hunting growing up and into my adulthood was done there. I grew up here, but never deer hunted in TX until I was in my early 30's.

Comment

Lots of deer

Comment

I grew up hunting MS around Vicksburg there are some pretty good deer there. The county I used to hear about the most was Copiah which isn’t far from Natchez. I’d go for it if you have the time.

Comment

Just pulled back into my driveway, from hunting about an hour north of Vicksburg. Place is bordered by the Mississippi River. So basically 2 hours north of where you could hunt. Food plots seem to be the game in the afternoons. Seems crazy but the hard frost in the mornings seem to kill deer activity where I was hunting. I have hunted with a vendor there for about 10 years and really the afternoons always seem to be when the deer are killed.

Some good deer antler-wise. But more impressive seems to be the body size of some of the delta bucks.

Here is the deer I took yesterday afternoon. I had a short hunt with a vendor of mine and the guide told me to shot the first mature buck that gave me an opportunity. So I did. Basic 8, 17 1/2" wide. Lacked mass, score will not be much in inches. The buck weighed 218 lbs. Ruger American 6.5 CM about flipped hit over on a hard quartering to shot in front of the left shoulder. He ran about 65 yards and piled up about 30 yards off the plot. The ranch foreman had him at 5 1/2.

OTC tags, pretty cheap for a few days of hunting and hanging out. I go every time I get a chance.

As an added bonus we sometimes throw together morning duck hunts if the deer movement is slow.

Comment

Natchez is great area. Peak rut should be dec25-Jan1. We do have antler restrictions, but they are intended to only protect 1.5 year olds. Natchez at Christmas can be fun, if wife wants to come along, several antebellum homes have Christmas tours.

Comment

Originally posted by OleTomTalker View Post
                        Grew up there but haven't hunted much over there in several years. Most of Natchez area is really good hunting for everything. Especially the closer to the river that you get.

Yep grew up in Natchez too.

There’s some big deer around there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by QDM4fun View Post
                          Natchez is great area. Peak rut should be dec25-Jan1. We do have antler restrictions, but they are intended to only protect 1.5 year olds. Natchez at Christmas can be fun, if wife wants to come along, several antebellum homes have Christmas tours.

Yep you need to set aside some time with your wife to tour some of the homes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            Yep grew up in Natchez too.

There’s some big deer around there.

Grew up in Taylorsville but hunted good bit between Port Gibson and Natchez. Have seen some monsters behind the river levee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I lived in Greenville Ms for 10 years which is about 2 hours north of Natchez but along the River too. All I can say is GO! You won’t regret it.

Comment

Working...
                              X