No announcement yet.

Night Vision hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I built a dedicated 6.5 Grendal for my X-Sight II. Perfect caliber it shoots 123 grain pill fast and flat. More knockdown than a 223 still can pick up ammo for <$20 a box. Hornady Black kills the pigs and yotes nicely

Comment

Originally posted by savin yours View Post
      So now I have the X Sight, what caliber should I go with on my AR build? I have a multi cal lower, so I've been thinking about the 300blk. This will most likely be a dedicated night hunting rig, mostly for pigs. Oh and suppressed also with future plans of thermal(if i get into it like I think I will). I have it on my RRA 223 now and just sighted it in. GO!
      If you stick the 223, like outdoor Legacy stated you should use good ammo. I prefer 62 grain Fusion myself. Or 75 grain gold dots.

If you want to go to a much more capable caliber, I would personally skip the 300 Blackout and run 6.8 SPC. The round is superior to 300 Blackout in all categories. With the exception of magazine and parts commonality.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SC-Texas View Post
        If you stick the 223, like outdoor Legacy stated you should use good ammo. I prefer 62 grain Fusion myself. Or 75 grain gold dots.

If you want to go to a much more capable caliber, I would personally skip the 300 Blackout and run 6.8 SPC. The round is superior to 300 Blackout in all categories. With the exception of magazine and parts commonality.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

So does the 6.8 behave well SBR’d and suppressed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Considering a Thermal Monocular for hog hunting...

Hey ya'll, I'm posting here to hopefully help somebody out just like someone helped me... Well, I've done a ton of research on Thermal Monoculars and I finally bit the bullet on the Pulsar Quantum Lite XQ23V. I hunt hogs every night of the week on my property in East Texas and my left arm looks like Popeye and my right arm looks like Olive Oil from holding up my rifle for 2 to 3 hours a night. Finally splurged a little on a new hunting toy that's going to make my life much easier. Here is my field review of the Pulsar Monocular. I've done a ton of research so maybe you won't have to...

https://youtu.be/dLwjiHg6fbQ

Comment

I will just throw this up for giggles. I was in front of my house the other night getting my external IR illuminator co-witnessed correctly with my Photon 6.5x50. My daughter was out there with me when this red fox trotted across the field in front of us at a dead even 100 yards. No, I can't shoot that direction because of my neighbors goats and donkeys across the fence. My daughter was wanting me to stop recording so she could look through the scope and watch him, lol.

CLICK ON THE IMAGE BELOW AND YOU CAN WATCH IT ON MY FLICKR PAGE.

123239 by , on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
              I will just throw this up for giggles. I was in front of my house the other night getting my external IR illuminator co-witnessed correctly with my Photon 6.5x50. My daughter was out there with me when this red fox trotted across the field in front of us at a dead even 100 yards. No, I can't shoot that direction because of my neighbors goats and donkeys across the fence. My daughter was wanting me to stop recording so she could look through the scope and watch him, lol.

CLICK ON THE IMAGE BELOW AND YOU CAN WATCH IT ON MY FLICKR PAGE.

123239 by , on Flickr
              Yeah thermal may be the shizzz and all, but the Photon gets it done every single time, plus it has sound. That's more than can be said for some $5K thermal optics on the market today.

Awesome video. Let that poor girl have a look next time!

Comment

She gets to play with that stuff plenty. I made up for it the next day anyways. We went calling and killed 4 coyotes, she got her first with the CZ-527. We tripled on that stand, both of our blood was pumping pretty hard. The poor child is not mistreated, I promise that.

Comment

Originally posted by SC-Texas View Post
                  I think all of these variants have specific design goals, so “superior in all catalogues” is a bit of a stretch. The 300blk has been arround (with various names and design goals) for about 30 years. IIRC it started out as a silhouette pistol wildcat. Anyway, you can suppress supers, but subs suppress better. As velocity is dictated with subsonic ammo, energy is a direct function of bullet weight. Bullet weight is limited by overall length and stability. You can only get to about 78gr in a 223 and still fit in the magazine. Most 300blk subs are 220gr, but 245 will stabilize in a 1:7 twist (maybe even a 1:8), I do not know about feeding. A 6.8 will be somewhere in between, as the small caliber will weigh less at a similar length, and longer will probably neither stabilize or feed.

Of course the second issue there is twist. 300BLK specifically uses a fast twist rate for heavy subsonics, the 6.8 SPC II took Reminton’s already slower 1:10 twist and slowed it further to 1:11 or 1:12. This lowered pressure and allowed for better supersonic performance, at the expense of stabilizing heavies. Does it shoot suppressed well-probably. But the simple physics say not as good as the 300blk.

Now the other shoe, I think the Grendel still has superior down range performance. It is not a huge issue, and really does not show up under 400 yards, but the higher sectional density of the Grendel holds velocity better and has less wind drift. If you reload, and if you can feed and chamber 140gr 6.8s then it is neck and neck. That said, those are longer than max oal, I don’t think they are available as factory loads, and they still have more wind drift.

At the end of the day, the 6.8 is a great cartridge, but it is not best in all circumstances. I will still enjoy my blk’s and Grendel. That said, not enjoying my X-sight any. It has sat in the box since I got real night vision, and have shot with night vision since I went thermal. At least the I^2 is still good for navigation.
                  Last edited by Mousehunter; 10-05-2017, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by savin yours View Post
                    So does the 6.8 behave well SBR’d and suppressed?

Waiting to hear somebody's experience with a 6.8 sbr. Suppressed accuracy? ...

Comment

18" IWT 6.8SPCII
                      Federal 115gn FMJ
                      200 Yards from fixed shooting position
                      DRT Shoulder shots

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Last edited by Tbar; 10-05-2017, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Tbar, I am so envious of your set up!

Comment

Originally posted by Tbar View Post
                          That is a badazz shooting spot!

If this was my setup, I think I'd find a way to put a speaker at the opposite end of the field and blast AR15 sounds from it after I shot the first hog. That way you could funnel them back towards you.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                            Suppressed accuracy? ...
                            You do not normally hear much about “suppressed accuracy”. If you are shooting subs, you are probably sighted in at 75 yards. If you want to shoot further, you better know you ur yardage and have a holdover table ready. Subs are starting out at only 1050fps. If you sight in at 75, you are pretty much good to go from the muzzle to 85 yards. By 110 you will be shooting under his chin, belly, or maybe just accidentally hit a knee (I forget, but iirc it is about 8” below point of aim.).

Suppressed should not effect cold shots (if you sighted in with your suppressor), but could cause more shift as the barrel gets hot-a potentially pig blasting problem. Heavy barrels should be less effected, as would SBR’s I imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tejas Wildlife View Post
                              Tbar, I am so envious of your set up!
                              In hind site I could have benefited from a bump stock. The pigs always run the same direction. Just hold on a spot and let them run through a hail of lead.

Comment

I got this guy last night about 1130 pm.
                                Saw him about 75 yds as I was scanning the fence line where there was fresh routing.
                                I was using my 5.56 shooting 55 grain VMax. I have a Coyote Reaper light mounted to my hand guard. I am using the red bulb.
                                I lost track of him after the shot. Scope zoomed in too much

No blood, we looked till 1am.
                                Found him this am.
                                Flies and buzzards found him first.
                                The stick is the entrance, the pistol is s 5” 1911A1, it's included for size reference.

This is my second from this area. And the 2nd of 3 board I have on camera. Missed a shot opportunity at the 3rd one Tuesday night.

Comment

Working...
                                X