No announcement yet.

Tropical Weather Threat For Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting side note. It was 25 years ago today that Andrew kicked south Florida in the wedding tackle.

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
      This is exactly happened to us down in Mexico for Odile. It went from a storm to serious hurricane in no time
      You boarding up? You're in Angleton?

Comment

12Z ECMWF now calculating

Comment

Yea, I take back everything I said. This is hold onto your butts time. Have to go to Nac tonight. May have to stock up a little more before heading home.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Natural gas generator. So a WHOLE bunch of folks in my neighborhood bought large natural gas generators after that last flood in Houston. I'm just wondering if all these people crank those up, can the neighborhood gas line maintain enough gas pressure to keep them running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 1369 View Post
              Interesting side note. It was 25 years ago today that Andrew kicked south Florida in the wedding tackle.
              I remember that one. After Florida, it ended up in the Gulf heading straight to Galveston. At the last minute, it took a sharp turn to the North-east and hit LA.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                One concern that I've had as I've watched the coverage on this as it's being billed as primarily a "rain event", and lots of people are only preparing as such . Even if it remained a TS, it could still spawn tornados, lighting, etc. that could easily knock out power. Once power goes, especially in rural areas, several days of rain, wind and flooding would likely prevent crews from even being able to work on restoring power until Monday, Tuesday or even later.

I'm going to "over prepare" with water, gas, food, etc. I endured no power following Allecia for almost two weeks and saw what even a TS that hangs around for a few days (Allison) can do in terms of widespread flooding and destruction.

Be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. Unused gasoline will keep for lawn mowers and Fighting Texas Aggie Tailgates!
                Not saying dont prepare! Just pointing out the difference. Lots of gas/water down my way this morning. I spent the last big one we had at the San Luis! I know what it is like without power/water for an extended period of time. it sucks be prepared!

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                  You boarding up? You're in Angleton?
                  No sir

We're in New Braunfels

Comment

Originally posted by Tommyh View Post
                    KHOU is saying landfall at Rockport?
                    Man I hope not, my gramps house may not be there after

Comment

Yep! I'm all the way up the coast near beaumont, but I'm making preps. I don't like the looks of this at all. I think there's s good chance landfall is further east than expected.

Comment

Sometimes the best way to prepare is to pack up and LEAVE!

Comment

Latest Discussion

Hurricane Harvey Special Discussion Number 17
                          NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL092017
                          100 PM CDT Thu Aug 24 2017

This special advisory is being issued to update Harvey's initial
                          and forecast intensities through the 48-hour period. The storm
                          surge values in the public advisory have also been updated based on
                          the new intensity forecast.

Recent data from Air Force Reserve and NOAA Hurricane Hunter
                          aircraft indicate that Harvey's maximum sustained winds have
                          increased to 75 kt. The Air Force plane measured maximum 850-mb
                          flight-level winds of 88 kt and reliable SFMR winds around 75 kt.
                          Based on the hurricane's current rate of intensification, the
                          forecast intensities at 12 and 24 h have been raised by 15 kt,
                          with a 10-kt increase at 36 h. There are no changes to the track or
                          wind radii forecast with this special advisory.

It is critical that users not focus on the exact forecast track
                          of Harvey, since cycle-to-cycle adjustment are likely. All
                          locations within the hurricane and storm surge warning areas should
                          be preparing for the possibility of major hurricane-force winds and
                          life-threatening storm surge.

Note that this special advisory takes the place of the scheduled
                          100 PM CDT (1800 UTC) intermediate advisory.

Key Messages:

1. Harvey has intensified rapidly, and is forecast to be a major
                          hurricane at landfall, bringing life-threatening storm surge,
                          rainfall, and wind hazards to portions of the Texas coast.
                          Preparations to protect life and property should be completed by
                          tonight, as tropical-storm-force winds will first arrive in the
                          hurricane and storm surge warning areas on Friday.

2. A Storm Surge Warning is in effect for much of the Texas coast.
                          Life-threatening storm surge flooding could reach heights of 6 to 12
                          feet above ground level at the coast between the north entrance of
                          the Padre Island National Seashore and Sargent. For a depiction of
                          areas at risk, see the Storm Surge Watch/Warning Graphic at
                          hurricanes.gov.

3. Life-threatening flooding is expected across much of the Texas
                          coast from heavy rainfall of 12 to 20 inches, with isolated amounts
                          as high as 30 inches, from Friday through early next week. Please
                          refer to products from your local National Weather Service office
                          and the NOAA Weather Prediction Center for more information on the
                          flooding hazard.

4. The Potential Storm Surge Flooding Map is available on the NHC
                          website. This product depicts a reasonable worst-case scenario -
                          the amount of inundation that has a 10 percent chance of being
                          exceeded at each individual location. This map best represents
                          the flooding potential in those locations within the watch and
                          warning areas.

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INIT 24/1800Z 24.4N 93.6W 75 KT 85 MPH
                          12H 25/0000Z 24.9N 94.2W 85 KT 100 MPH
                          24H 25/1200Z 26.0N 95.3W 105 KT 120 MPH
                          36H 26/0000Z 27.3N 96.3W 110 KT 125 MPH
                          48H 26/1200Z 28.3N 97.0W 100 KT 115 MPH...INLAND
                          72H 27/1200Z 29.0N 97.7W 40 KT 45 MPH...INLAND
                          96H 28/1200Z 28.5N 97.5W 35 KT 40 MPH...INLAND
                          120H 29/1200Z 28.5N 96.5W 30 KT 35 MPH...INLAND

$$
                          Forecaster Berg

Comment

Now 85 mph and growing fast

Click image for larger version

Name:	MAX_WEB_TROP_ATL9_storm_info_1280x720.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	24509259

Comment

NHC now forecast 125mph at landfall(36Hours) in 1PM Special Advisory. Still looks like Rockport area from their image.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                                Sometimes the best way to prepare is to pack up and LEAVE!
                                Exactly what I just told my parents that lives in Orange County.
                                Prayers for all.
                                Rwc

Comment

Working...
                                X