2020 “modified buffalo” fall plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Week 5

Had my handy dandy quarantined helper all week... final preps for youth season done today and did some fill in patch seeding on plot hogs destroyed. Broadcast a cereal grain mix over bald spots and called it good. Brassicas look amazing... zero proof a deer has touched them
    Attached Files

Comment

Patch job
      Attached Files

Comment

The plots look great but that quarantined helper is as cute as they come!

Comment

I never had any luck with greens except for daikon radish. They will eat the tops off of them. I think I might have planted too many radishes in these plots though
          Attached Files

Comment

Mine are just starting to come up decent after a little rain. Love checking my wireless cameras each day for more green

Comment

Wow, LowFence, your plots look great. I never can get peas to grow more than a month without deer eating them to the ground. I have too many deer for the acerage we plant.
              Can’t wait to go see my plots. We sprayed and planted 3 weeks ago. My dad is skeptical of plots without plowing, but it saved us a lot of time. All these hurricanes at least are bringing some rain to the plots.

Comment

Week 6

Something actually tried to eat one!!!!

The plot I reseeded got wrecked again by pigs. Probably write it off as a loss. I’m over these vermin. Lots of pics at a fence crossing headed to the plots about 4:30 in the evenings. 1 shooter. So that gives Lola another possible option
                Attached Files

Comment

I dig it

Comment

Week 7. No fertilizer and less than 2” of rain. Mature buck moved in yesterday. Had him a lot late last season. Hope Lola can get a shot. I don’t think I would pass either. Lol
                    Attached Files

Comment

The deer at our place would have never let those peas get over a foot high. Nice job.

Comment

Week 8

There has been no measurable rain on this plot other than the 1.5 or so the day after planting. This is a true testimony to this methods abilities in soil moisture preservation. The plants are now starting to show signs of stress so a good rain would not hurt. Turnips have bulbs about size of rachet ball.
                        Got about a 1/10th this morning

I’m the only real player in town on plots this year and the number of NICE bucks shows! Of course I’m too busy to hunt and the neighbors will get a few as well as cars.... but they are using daily (I don’t post bigger deer until dead, lol) all oats and wheat are showing browse. Turnips and winter peas show low to no as always. I wish I would have marketed a winter pea for deer. Easy to grow and basically unused... so it looks like you did a good job! Good for soil and spring plots...
                        Attached Files

Comment

Man love your plots. Mine never get that high. Deer, rabbits, hogs keep mine about 3 inches high. Im liking the no plow method. Think I might start doing this also.

Comment

2020 “modified buffalo” fall plot

I am in a similar position as you with our planting, but on year one without the soil improvements.

Planted first week of September, got a good 1.5-2 inches right after, and then nothing since.
                            We got really good germination and every species came up, but nothing is more than ankle tall since we haven’t had a drop of rain since.

Your success gives me hope that I can improve the soils in this plot over time. Especially if I can find a way to no-till drill it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by IkemanTX; 11-23-2020, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Week 10

Starting to show usage of turnips and brassicas. Oats are all showing usage
                              Attached Files

Comment

Bad pic. Was about 150 yards away. We watched 2 doe most of the evening eating in plots
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X