Scope mounts for a AR.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scope mounts for a AR.

Need some suggestions on scope mounts for a flattop AR. ( has a 20 inch heavy barrel ) Putting a 4x16x44 scope on the gun. One piece or two piece mounts and which ones? Quick release mounts, do they hold there zero when removed and put back on the gun.

Thanks

I prefer one piece. I have the Burris Pepr QR mount on mine. I’ve only removed and replaced twice but I didn’t have to make any adjustments. American Defense Recon qd mount was also high on my list. My buddy has a larue mount on his and he likes it, too rich for my blood though.

Comment

I have the recon mount and it's legit ..

Comment

I use Larue Tactical mounts

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

I have some info on this subject. My first AR, I put a Colt one piece mount on the gun. Has worked great for many years, always dead on, with my cheap Simmons scope. The height is perfect.

Two years ago, I built a second AR, I looked at a lot of scope mounts and decided the AR Reaper mount looked durable, I bought it, with 30 mm rings. I had a Vortex Viper 4X16 scope. I had lots of problems getting low enough behind the scope. I was always seeing black around the edges of the scope. I started to wonder about the scope. Well, the Vortex 4X16 died suddenly, I put the Simmons, in the Colt mount on that gun. It worked great. I later figured out the center of the rings, of the Colt mount was about 3/8" higher than the AR Reaper mount.

So I started looking for another mount, that was taller. I found the Burris P.E.R.P. mount, a one piece mount, looks very durable. I found the center of the rings, were exactly the same height as the center of the Colt rings. The height of the P.E.R.P., mount, fixed the problem with me seeing black around the edges of the scope. The Reaper mount was too low, I kept noticing I had to turn my head **** near sideways to see through the scope, so I woould not have black edges in the scope. The P.E.R.P. has six screws per ring. That looked like a good idea and bad at the same time. Because Vortex told me no more than 18 in. lbs. of torque on the rings, or else the exterior tube would be crushed to the point of making contact with the inner field tube. Well like I worried, with the six ring screws, if you go I a criss cross pattern, you have to go through the pattern many times torqueing the ring screws before all six screw are at 18 in. lbs. I knew this was going to make the rings tighter than Vortex wanted them to be. Sure enough the gun would only shoot 4" to 6" groups. I eventually loosened the rings and tightened them to something like 8 or 10 in. lbs., to get the rifle to shoot 1" groups. But the point of impact shifted after 10 shots. I then noticed the scope had slid all the way forward, in the rings. So that was not working very well

I got tired of the thin walled Vortex scope and bought a Weaver hoping for a heavier wall tubing scope. The Weaver Super Slam I bought, turned out to be a 1" tube scope, so the Burris mount would not work. So I looked for another mount, I found the Leupold, mount, also a one piece, about 1/8" shorter than the Burris and the Colt, mounts. But 1/4" higher than the AR Reaper. The Leupold, only as two screws per ring. So getting the proper tension on the rings is much easier. So far, the Weaver scope and Leupold mount seem to work pretty good.
          Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 11-14-2017, 09:15 PM.

Comment

I have a vortex 30mm with 2 inch offset I'll sell ya. Ordered one when I ordered my optic but the optic came with a mount so I have an extra.

Comment

Originally posted by Reedimus View Post
              I have a vortex 30mm with 2 inch offset I'll sell ya. Ordered one when I ordered my optic but the optic came with a mount so I have an extra.
              In all of my searching, I never found Vortex mounts. What do they look like?

Comment

ADM Recon, has worked well for me.

Comment

American defense recon is what I hold my Vortex Strike eagle down with. I’ve taken it off and put it back on numerous times, my AR sits in my safe with iron sight only. Never had it come off zero. Definitely worth the money IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm also running a Larue mount. It has kept it zero after 400+ rounds

Comment

Aero Precision ultralight mount

Comment

If Larue is an option, go with Larue. I probably have close to 3,000 rounds through mine and it still works like new.

Comment

Why use a mount vs rings straight to the top of the receiver? Will it not be a dedicated setup?

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                            In all of my searching, I never found Vortex mounts. What do they look like?
                            Pm sent

Comment

I’m looking at the suggestions now.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X