No announcement yet.

Garner State Park Axis Deer Hunting??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ill get some pictures up when I get home. I kinda bashed the staff because my initial impressions weren't as positive but they have been coming around being much nicer. But there are lots lots of rules and they are stickers but nice

Comment

There was three of us in our group we have shot four as a group and 16 total from everyone so far

Comment

In addition I wanted to add it takes a lot of volunteers for this hunt to be possible and they are real involved and do a good job

Comment

When does y'all's hunt end? Headed up there to try for a standby for the next hunt.

Comment

It ends at 10am, I didn't see any animals this morning and to the best of my knowledge I only heard one shot this morning.

Comment

10-4. Here now I was the third one here to put in for the two open spots. Hope no one else shows up before the drawing at 11! Wish me luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by Texantax View Post
                10-4. Here now I was the third one here to put in for the two open spots. Hope no one else shows up before the drawing at 11! Wish me luck!!
                Good luck Jason!

Comment

Good Luck Jason...

Comment

Good luck blind one is good

Comment

Didn't get lucky today. About ten showed up for two spots.

Comment

Last Hunt Report and Possible future archery hunt

Just got back from the last hunt at Garner. 20 Hunters I believe there were 9 maybe 10 axis shot. One relatively good buck will post pics tomorrow. Muzzy I think my daughter hunted the same one you did stand 17 I hunted stand 19. This hunt was the least successful because the deer had been shot at for 2 weeks.

Talked to the ranger as to why there is no bow hunts and he is considering it for the future. There is an estimated 800-1000 axis on the park. We saw at least a hundred every day right at the main gate. He said in the past he had a bow hunt and no one could pass the accuracy test. Not sure who took the test because it seemed really easy. He put a 5 x 3 postcard at 20 yards. You only had to hit it one out of 5 arrows and no one passed. I did not get all the details, but he is at least considering some future bow hunts.

All in all we really enjoyed it. The other hunts I have been on were a little more "relaxed" but this was still nice. I have won 30+ drawn hunts over the past few years so this was not my first TPWD draw hunt experience.

Comment

Originally posted by BVM View Post
                          I have won 30+ drawn hunts over the past few years so this was not my first TPWD draw hunt experience.
                          How in the world did you do that? I could live to be older than Methuselah and might make it to 10.

Comment

Lots of hunts each year

I win 2 to 4 hunts every year. This year I won Garner Exotic, Gus Engleng Management hunt, Shreiner Kirville park Management Hunt, and Richland Creek Bowhunt. All of these were drawn. This does not count any stand by or youth hunts I have won with my kids.

Last year was also a good year - McFaddin Alligator hunt, Richland Creek Management hunt, Brazos Bend antlerless hunt....etc, etc. I just look at the statistics (success vs applicants vs my points)

Comment

I wish you would tell me your secret! Lol

Comment

I wanna see pics of all these public axis...sounds like a good time if you don't mind a few rules and the success rate sounds really high!!! People pay a lot of money to go on axis hunts and this is totally free!

Comment

Working...
                                X