QDMA Seminar in Dayton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QDMA Seminar in Dayton

QDMA is holding a meeting in Dayton on May 17. Speakers include the founder of QDMA and prominent deer experts on property management.
    Attached Files

No comments? Curious - what are your thoughts on QDMA? Has it fallen from glory like Ducks Unlimited?

Comment

Originally posted by GLM View Post
      No comments? Curious - what are your thoughts on QDMA? Has it fallen from glory like Ducks Unlimited?
      I think Darton likes them(one tbh), but he is in Oklahoma so his voice doesn't really carry much weight here in Texas as he has No idea how it is Here.
      Personally, I think they are a bunch of self righteous blow hards that pick and choose their sources and data to further their own self interest.
      But, what do I know?
      You should go and report back your findings to US Texas boys.

Comment

I think they are relevant as far as info is concerned or maybe I should say accurate. As far as if they are self righteous, I have no idea. I have read a lot of their info and I like what I read. The info doesn't cater to one level of deer hunting/management/plots. They discuss and provide info from everything from micro plots to buck "culling", doe management, timber management, large plots, native plants as a cultivated food source...well you get the idea.

Comment

I have been a QDMA member for 12 years. I really enjoy their bi-monthly magazine. It has a lot of good articles on food plots and timber management from the deers prospective.
          I also enjoyed their forum but they discontinued it a few years ago. Lots of good people on that forum who offered assistance on various subjects (much like the members on TBH).
          I think the leaders are genuinely interested in deer management and want to help others in achieving there management goals. However, I am also convinced that they have to treat it like a business. Othewise they won’t survive.
          I am looking forward to meeting them at the Dayton meeting and hopefully learning a few things from their presentations.

Comment

I’ve been a member of qdma since the beginning. I think they have offered a lot of good advice thru the years especially to small landowners. I especially like the food plot book they published years back. On net I think they have been an asset

However. I think they are quite hypocritical on several fronts. They range from noncommittal to negative on the use of game fences for deer mgt. fascinating since Al Brothers is so prominently acknowledged including representing one of their highest awards. Al Brothers was on the leading edge of using game fencing as a mgt tool and one of the earlier adopters. I believe they could provide a great service offering accurate non emotional facts on the pros cons of game fencing.

They are prominent advocates against deer breeding. Fascinating since they have given their highest awards to Dr Harry Jacobson and frequently quote his research and the contributions he has made to deer mgt. Dr Jacobson was on the leading edge of creating the deer breeding industry as well as managing the research facilities....read deer breeding facility...at Ms. State. I don’t think they are fair or responsible in their reporting or position here.

All that said I believe they provide reasonable introductory counsel on mgt and good info on habitat / food plot cultivation. I just disagree with their advocacy and believe they should offer a broader perspective on the world of deer mgt

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
              I’ve been a member of qdma since the beginning. I think they have offered a lot of good advice thru the years especially to small landowners. I especially like the food plot book they published years back. On net I think they have been an asset

However. I think they are quite hypocritical on several fronts. They range from noncommittal to negative on the use of game fences for deer mgt. fascinating since Al Brothers is so prominently acknowledged including representing one of their highest awards. Al Brothers was on the leading edge of using game fencing as a mgt tool and one of the earlier adopters. I believe they could provide a great service offering accurate non emotional facts on the pros cons of game fencing.

They are prominent advocates against deer breeding. Fascinating since they have given their highest awards to Dr Harry Jacobson and frequently quote his research and the contributions he has made to deer mgt. Dr Jacobson was on the leading edge of creating the deer breeding industry as well as managing the research facilities....read deer breeding facility...at Ms. State. I don’t think they are fair or responsible in their reporting or position here.

All that said I believe they provide reasonable introductory counsel on mgt and good info on habitat / food plot cultivation. I just disagree with their advocacy and believe they should offer a broader perspective on the world of deer mgt
              Rusty, when I grow up I want to be just like you!!!
              Very accurate rundown on QDMA.
              Great post, thanks

Comment

QDMA Seminar in Dayton

Originally posted by elgato View Post

There should be three books, low fence, high fence native herd, and high fence with introduced genetics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Last edited by Black Ice; 05-16-2018, 11:20 PM.

Comment

I am a member and enjoy their magazine as well. I really only read about plots and habitat. Never really thought too much about them being arrogant, as I only read the articles that interest me.

Comment

Well, how did it go? Was it everything you thought it would be?

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                      Well, how did it go? Was it everything you thought it would be?
                      Most of the attendees were associated with QDMA or TPWD. Joe Hamilton had a presentation on the history of QDMA beginning in 1981. Kip Adams presentation was on Deer Harvest Statistics from each state.
                      There was a good Q&A with the panel ranging from “should spikes be killed?” to “should we provide supplemental feeding?”.
                      Interesting presentations and discussions.

Comment

I bet there was some good discussions. I could see that shooting spike theory, escalate to the shooting 8pts as culls. That discussion alone could go on for hours. I wish I could have been there.

Comment

Anticlimatic now maybe, but I think Rusty provided a pretty concise picture of my thoughts on QDMA. I predict that they will come out against feeders in the future, as I can see them creeping up on it now.

A lot of the former forum members are now on another forum, deerhunterforum.com

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                            Anticlimatic now maybe, but I think Rusty provided a pretty concise picture of my thoughts on QDMA. I predict that they will come out against feeders in the future, as I can see them creeping up on it now.

A lot of the former forum members are now on another forum, deerhunterforum.com
                            Actually QDMA is for feeders. It gives the hunter more time to observe the animal to help in the selection for management purposes. However, they are against any type of feeders in states with high cases of CWD. The disease is easily transferred where deer are concentrated to a very small area. Many states have made feeders illegal for the same reason.

I enjoyed QDMAs forum and was disappointed when they discontinued it. Alot of the old QDMA forum members have started Habitat Managers on Facebook.
                            Last edited by GLM; 05-20-2018, 12:26 PM.

Comment

I enjoyed QDMAs forum and was disappointed when they discontinued it. Alot of the old QDMA forum members have started Habitat Managers on Facebook.
                              That place was a treasure trove of info!!!
                              Why'd they get rid of it?
                              I mean it was like Encyclopedia Brittanica for white tail

Comment

Working...
                              X