Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Three under vs. split finger (Beginners Guide Volume I)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three under vs. split finger (Beginners Guide Volume I)

Reference the following link, post number 39 for background on the origination of this thread. http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ead.php?t=5725

First off, everyone is different, so give both a try.

To the hard-core instinctive traditionalist, split finger is the only way to go as many associate three under with gap shooting and string walking. As times have changed, most clubs have revised their rules to allow either style as long as you have one finger touching the arrow.

Personally I began shooting split finger as a child and did so well for many years. About eight years ago after noticing that many of the best tournament shooters I saw where shooting three under I gave it a try and haven’t looked back.

The upside:
    My unsophisticated rational tells me that one release point is more crisp than two (assuming you shoot a tab). In addition I do not have to worry about pinching the knock between my fingers if all fingers are below the knock.

The way my face is proportioned, by shooting three under and anchoring my middle finger in the corner of my mouth, my knock gently settles against the side of my nose. I use my knock as an additional point of reference to insure that everything is in alignment and I am solidly at full draw.

While I shoot instinctive 98% of the time, I do gap shoot when the target is over 40yds. By shooting three under all of the time, I am already lined up to sight down the arrow on these rare occasions. Unless you just like to play around and shoot long shots for kicks I don’t think this is a valid upside for you, but I thought I would throw it out there.

The downside:
    Many people have the habit of holding a disproportionate amount of the bow weight in their ring finger. While this is not good shooting split finger it can have a very negative affect shooting three under. This is due to the tiller of the bow (a whole other topic). In simple terms you want to pull the bowstring in such away that you are pulling from the center so that the weight from each limb is evenly distributed into the arrow. Shooting split finger already aligns you fairly well with the center of the string. While you can have your bow tillered for three under I can’t see any difference between my bows that are tillered for three under and those that aren’t, so don’t worry about it if you are just starting off you probably will not be able to notice the difference if any.

I guess I am really screwed up because, I shot only two fingers. 1 over and 1 under

Comment

I was shooting a longbow set up for 3under. I have not shot a trad in 25 or so years and I rememebred the split finger shooting from when I was a kid shootind a big 5 special as a kid. I thought I would have a problem, I did for the first 10 or so arrows then I was grouping them fine after that "set in period" when I finally do get a trad bow I will most likly go with 3 under now because I feel pretty good about it. But then again when I was shooting split on the same bow I was grouping also.
      Ronnie

Comment

I shoot split fingers, that is the way I learned years ago. If it is not broken then don't fix it. It works for me.

Comment

As a kid I shot split fingers and contiune to shoot split fingers, with a recurve and compound. It is very comfortable and accurate for me so I haven't changed anything.

Comment

not to get to off topic. but tradag could tell me how you build up your riser and if you have a pic. could you post it. i know how your dad makes his but he said you do it different.
            thanks

Comment

lol... I shoot split fingers without a glove or tab.

Comment

...without a glove or tab.
                So the "Bruiser" handle is in reference to your fingers?
                Last edited by tinman; 01-16-2007, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Comment

Bruiser:

I hope you aren't a proctologist...

If so, let me know where "NOT" to go for a prostate exam...

Doug Key aka Splitfinger

Comment

WOW delriowil , I thought i was the only one that did that, most people just look at me like im nuts or ignore it.

Comment

lol... I'm probably going to have some growing pains since I am just getting back into shooting after a long hiatus. But I shoot so much, I don't forsee any issues. It'll take me a while to get the fingers back up to speed but once I do, I shouldn't feel a thing.

One good thing, I never have to remember to bring a glove or tab.

Comment

As TradAg stated above, we're all a bit different. I learned split finger when I started. Anchor with the middle finger in the corner of my mouth and both eyes open, focused on a spot on the target. That's how I taught my kids.

Justin, the oldest, doesn't put enough effort into it and I imagine, he'll eventually give up archery or go with a compound; just the way he is (he really loves shooting his rifle and other guns though - theres still hope ). Matthew, 11 shoots split, a recurve and has a great potential showing in his shooting abilities. You guys watch out for this one; he loves it. Got mad at me the other day because I haven't bought him a new bow lately. lol Then there's Caitlin; my youngest and will be 8 in April. Caitlin really loves to shoot. Between her and Matt, I have difficulty getting in any quality practice for myself unless I deny them to shoot. So, I go 50/50 with them. I started Caitlin with split just as I did her brothers. She was terrible, couldn't hit anything to center. I tried several things always using split finger technique.

Last year I went to Freer on a hunt with a group of traddies from around the country and got to meet CM Sackett and a couple fellas from New York. They were shooting 3 under. I've been exposed to 3 under before so I wasn't surprised or anything. I mean, I've shot with "LEFTY" and that dude can punch match stems. Anyway, watching Sackett shoot got me to thinking. "HEY, I haven't tried that with Caity". So, when I got back to Angelo, I introduced 3 under to Caity. She stepped off to 10 yards and let one fly. The arrow hit the "12" ring on my 3D deer target. I told her to do it again. The arrow landed right next to the first. The 3rd arrow was just a little left and low, but within a softball sized area. She had about a dozen arrows so I move her over to my block target and told her to have fun. When she pulled her arrows a paper plate could have covered the group except for 2 which had missed the target completely. Well, now she shoots 3 under and can almost outshoot her 11 year old brother.

Like TradAg says, "We're all different". Caity can sure shoot using 3 under. On the other hand, I've tried it and I'd just as soon stick with split. I let Matt try it and after 3 shots, I MADE him go back to split. That was skeery. Justin tried it, but just didn't like it. So, it's Caity's baby and I pat her on the back when she does good and encourage her when she doesn't.

I say if you're having trouble with one, try the other. If you can shoot instinctive, try gap or point on; even try a site if need-be. Remember its YOUR shot, and you have to decide what works best for you. Its nobody else's business but yours. If they don't like it, they can go eat dirt.

Comment

Does the bow have to be set up differently for three under?

Comment

You can have a bow tillered for three under, but personally I can’t tell the difference.

Your nock set may need to be adjusted when you initially change from split to three under.

Comment

Working...
                              X