Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Three under vs. split finger (Beginners Guide Volume I)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boy Lost Hawg....that's about the smartest post I have ever read (that you have posted)!! lol Way to go! Won't be long till she is outshooting you... and tell her that that is REALLY fun! Kavin and I are shooting again! More fun this time... no kids to tote around, and no stress in competeing cause as old as we are... who cares! lol!

You are right. Lefty and I both shoot 3 under. I tried split fingers and it didn't work for me. It sure feels good to be shooting again! It may help with my disability... as long as I can keep walking around the course!

Hope to see you sometime soon!
    Mom

Comment

I'm not really a dummy Mom, I just play one on PC.

Comment

I have shot both ways three under adn split finger on a recurve adn a compound and as for my own experiences i am more consistent with the spit approach and i shoot instinctively no matter what the distance, tyr it both way and see what way you are comfortable with then run with it!

Comment

Three under for me...I am more accurate that way...though when shooting three under, you lose about an inch of draw length, therefore losing just a little speed, KE...

Comment

I shot 3-under at first.

When I shot three-under, I used the "gap" technique. That is to say that I used the tip of the arrow like a sight pin to aim. My "sight window" looked much like this picture from the Leatherwall...

Click image for larger version

Name:	gapbanner.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	23823886

I anchored with my middle-finger in the corner of the mouth and from 10-25 yards I could put the tip of my arrow just under or directly on the "spot" and drill it with some serious consistantcy.

I did switch to split-finger after that first couple of years. Because of certain advantages...not because of what the "real traditionist" think about shooting 3-under.

When I shoot split-finger, I still anchor with middle-finger in the corner of my mouth but I do not use the tip of the arrow to aim anymore. I think there are some advantages to both techniques but this feels more natural to me...it just takes me more practice time stay consistant.

Three-under definitely helped me with the transistion of switching to tradbows from compounds.
            Last edited by tinman; 01-05-2008, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Yes split finger approach does require more practice from my experience as well!

Comment

I shot recurves many years ago and just recently picked it up again. It feels good. I have been working up slowly but shooting daily. I am shooting split fingers, 3 under just feels weird. I shoot with a glove as well.

Comment

Just starting out in this stuff. I'm using a glove and shot both ways tonight. The three under felt awkward but I seemed to group better. The split finger felt more natural but I seem to have to concentrate more on my release and felt like I was getting a bad release often. It's gonna take some time!

Comment

Chew, one thing that really help me was an article I read about finger release called "ripping to a conclusion" it said that whne the string comes out it should be at the end right about the time you reach your anchor point, the string should just simply slide out of your fingers, it took a little while to get used to but it made a huge difference in consistency at any yardage, if you like i will scan the article into my computer and email it to you , if you like. Have Fun!

Comment

Originally posted by texag93 View Post
                      ...3 under just feels weird.
                      Probably the #1 reason I switched to split-finger. Even after about 2 years of shooting 3-under almost daily, it felt better but never felt right for me. However, I was so much more confident in my shooting that way at first that I hunted 3-under for about two years while playing with different techniques between hunts.

Because of where I anchored and how I shot 3-under/gap, I had some consistantcy issues with shots over 20-yards or so (I still do but I can't blame 3-under anymore, grin). Once the target was covered by the arrow tip, well it's not easy hit a spot you can't even see. So I started playing with both techniques again during a long off-season. I tried using split-finger for longer shots and 3-under for close shots...but that was too much thinking and if you've ever "drawn" split-finger and "aimed" 3-under with a brick wall behind your target...well, you know why I had to choose one style or the other.

For about another month, I shot both styles everyday and weighed the pros/cons in hunting situations (for me). I finally settled on split-finger because it still felt more natural and I felt more connected with the arrow. I also knew that I'd have to shoot more often this way to build/maintain my confidence and define my shooting distances for hunting.

There is no right or wrong answer to this thread/question. I guess everyone should play with both techniques (over time) and decide what works best for them. I may not be hunting with a tradbow today if not for my early success while shooting the 3-under/gap.

I know that for some people 3-under and gap shooting aren't related...but for me, the only reason that I shot 3-under was to help me gap shoot better. I think that it really helped me with the transition from a compound with sights to gap shoot and basically use the arrow's tip like a sight pin.
                      Last edited by tinman; 07-22-2008, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Tried 3 under - drove me nuts... I have shot split for a long, long time. One thing I did notice that if you shoot split finger - the most consistent release you can achieve is the pull through method. ( At least for me)

This is achieved by coming to anchor then releasing your fingers as you put your back muscles into play to draw your hand beyond the point of anchor. This causes you to release all 3 fingers simultaneously without dragging your third finger. The dragging of the third finger is a common problem a lot of us face. I am notorious for doing it and know when I do this - the side of my finger starts to swell and ache badly. I also get erratic arrow flight and usually hit left on my intended target...
                        When I pull through on my release I am far more accurate and more consistent in form and follow through.

Comment

I just tried three under this weekend and my groups look a whole lot better.

I just shot twelve arrows this morning to see if I could do it again. I shot all tens from 15 to 22 yards.

Comment

I have never tried three under but I will now....

Comment

I shot well both ways but my bow is a lot noisier three under

Comment

Also shooting three under I sometimes hit my lip with the string

Comment

Working...
                                X