Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Three under vs. split finger (Beginners Guide Volume I)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cropduster View Post
    i shoot split fingers, that is the way i learned years ago. If it is not broken then don't fix it. It works for me.
    yep.

Comment

I started with 3 under..so its normal to me...I dont think I could switch over now.

Comment

Splitter all the way, always have been, always will be. On the other hand, to each his own, do what works best for you.
        A lot of what works for you, depends on how you learned and who taught you, or who made an impression on you when you got started.
        Fred Bear was my idol when learning to shoot in Northern Michigan when I was a youngster. My late grandfather was my teacher, so I stuck with it, and it has served me well.
        I don't really snap shoot, more of a controlled ("Slow Draw") release. When I hit my anchor I let it rip. My whole draw cycle is part of my aiming process. Because I shot 70 # draw weight bows I didn'y care to hesitate long, I didn't give myself a chance to "Creep". As long as I "Hit" my anchor point, my consistency stayed high.
        My poundage has dropped a bit as my age came up, but with a more energy efficient bow,(namely a Widow), and carbon arrows, I can hold my anchor just a little longer and it still works, if I practice enough.
        Lots of arrows shot, and then some more arrows, developed a muscle memory that honed my skill as an instinctive shooter. No sights on a rock or a baseball, but with the right practice routine people can have precision accuracy. I've seen it!!!!!!!
        Have fun, concentrate well, and "Shoot To Kill".

Comment

I have 3 reasons I shoot split finger
          #1 I suck at guessing yardage
          #2 I'm not good at telling the distance to the target
          #3 see both above

Split finger I just look at the spot, draw hit anchor, let settle and the arrow goes there...Well most of the time.
          3 under I see the arrow, split finger if I see the arrow I'm not concentrating hard enough.

Comment

i switched to three under a couple of months ago and greatly improved my accuracy (which i admit, still ain't the greatest)
            downside for me: my middle finger often goes numb, though this is good for comic relief; when dad asked me which finger was going numb, i flipped him off

Comment

I shoot split finger & also teach that method. I find that 3 under works for short distances pretty good, but gets shaky out past 20yds. The two split fingered release is actually an archaic European military release called the "Flemish loose".

Comment

Question for you 3-under guys. If using a tab, does the tab with the split work OK or do you use one that is solid?

Comment

When I learned to shoot a bow as a child I shot split finger. When I started shooting again as an adult I started out split finger because it felt natural. Someone told me about 3 under and I gave it a try. I noticed that shooting split finger I tend to torque the string a bit and it causes some irregularity in arrow flight. With 3 under I don't torque the string and the arrow flies straight. Hope this helps!
                  Last edited by camoman1966; 12-24-2010, 07:35 PM.

Comment

I am new to trad. I have tried both ways. Both seem to work pretty good for me. But, I try to shoot instincivly(just the way i want to do it), Every time I shoot 3 under someone accuses me of aiming. I am going to give over/under a try. Maybe then no one will accuse me of aiming. (point on ect) It seems to me if you shoot good someone always attaches a negative reason: he shoots point on, carbon arrows, elevated rest ect.........I wish we were a little more inclusive. I just got a new longbow. Woodies and carbons are shooting pretty well off the shelf. What will they say now??

Comment

forget everyone else

Comment

If a bow is pulled and the arrow is shot, some form of aiming occured. Shoot the way your most comfortable and screw anyone who has problem with it.

Comment

thats harsh

Comment

That's life

Comment

Yeah, you can go at it with no instruction & do anything you want. If you want it to take a long time to achieve mediocre results, that is. Archery has been around well over 10,000 years & not that much has changed. If you want to take advantage of all that knowledge & experience you can probably skip a bunch of BS & get to the fun of shooting with a fair degree of accuracy. OR you can just start from absolute scratch and employ trial & error just so you can say "I did it MY WAY". Your choice, but if I want my kid to learn to read, I send him to school. I don't just hand him a book & say "Figure this out."

Comment

Have been shooting Split for nearly all my Archery life. Tried the 3 under but did not work for me.I am a BAREBOW shooter and do not gap.I shoot pure instinctive or as near as possible. I shoot Indoor at 20 yrds and in most Field and 3D it is shorter distances.

Comment

Working...
                                X