Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Three under vs. split finger (Beginners Guide Volume I)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm new to this trad thing so I really don't have any bad habits. The first time I ever shot a "real" recurve was when I hunted with TxRattler and he let me shoot his bow. My first instincts were split. After reading this, as un-natural as it feels, I really want to try 3 under.

I finally got all my arrows and stuff and I'm ready to LEARN.
    Do any (or all) of you semi-pro veterans in the west Houston area want to host a "clinic" for us new guys? I'm wiling to drive, but I will also offer up my back yard as a host. I live just south of 1093 in Grand Mission.

I could even burn some meat if ya'll want!

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
      Do any (or all) of you semi-pro veterans in the west Houston area want to host a "clinic" for us new guys? I'm wiling to drive, but I will also offer up my back yard as a host. I live just south of 1093 in Grand Mission.

Post a thread and you will probably get some interest. I live in Rosenberg and have been contacted by several guys who want to meet and shoot in Richmond.

I sent you an e-mail through TBH the other day regarding mounting a turkey fan, did you get it?

Comment

I never got your email.

I'll be out of town all weekend, I'll post it on Monday.

Comment

I've always shot 3 under. I'll the split and see how that works.

Comment

I shoot splitfinger. Actually I shoot 2 fingers under. At the begining of my draw I have my index finger above the arrow, as I reach the end of the draw my index finger comes completely off the string and is somewhat pointed at the target. Being crosseyed (cross dominance ) I can't hold and aim or my eyes will get into an argument over who is in charge. As soon as my middle finger brushes the corner of my mouth it is gone. So I have a pull thru release that seems to work for me. As far as the tillering goes, if someone asked for a three under I will tiller the limbs even. Like most people I don't think its that big a deal for a three under shooter to shoot a bow that is tillered positive on the bottom limb. Just simply raise the nock just a bit. You gotta realize that the shelf is not the center of the bow in most cases. My shelves are cut 1 1/4 " above the center line, so this makes the top limb shorter than the bottom. This is the case in almost all bows. So you gotta make the bottom limb just a bit stiffer so they reach the same spot at full draw and close into the static position at the same time. I had a customer bring me a bow once , no name on this bow so I assumed it was a kit bow, that was so out of tiller the only way I could make it shoot was to turn it upside down and shoot off my knuckle. I fixed the bow for him but lost about 6 to 8 lbs of weight in the process.

Comment

3 under became popular because of 3-D (short range shooting) which became popular after the compound was invented. For NFAA field (10 to 80 yards) prior to 1970 no one used it except maybe for the couple of bird shots on a 28 target course. The one's that shot instinctive did not show up to major shoots ...Van

Comment

4feathers

Like most ol' archers I shot split for many years then went to compound and back to recurve. When I came back I tried three under and did great with it for a couple of weeks then my old sight picture came back and I had to fight three under for several months but once I got it licked I have not looked at changing back. I shoot a lot of 3-D and hunt, and I seem to have a better sight picture with the arrow close to my eye. I'm not a gap shooter but with the arrow close to my eye it is easier to see the line I want to shot. Three under or split it should be the shooter choice.

Comment

I shoot split
                  A friend told me to use my second finger for a ancher point(corner of mouth) instead of first finger.
                  Has worked great

Comment

i've tried 3 under, but can't seem to get a feel for it. more power to ya, 3 under folks

Comment

I used to shoot with one finger under for along time. (but it looked like I shot split finger) because I thought I made a more crisper shot. But I shoot three under now, and I'm a lot more consistant. I knew this after only one day. I should have been shooting this way along time ago. I would be a much better archer today. SO A.S.A. COMPETITORS, WARCH OUT NEXT YEAR...!

Comment

Originally posted by delriowil View Post
                        I guess I am really screwed up because, I shot only two fingers. 1 over and 1 under
                        thats not screwed up, the best way to shoot is whatever is most comfortable for you.

Comment

I may have overlooked it. When I used to shoot my recurve in 4H and JOAD (sp) I used a three finger split. My index finger was on top and my middle and ring fingers on bottom. I also anchored my index finger in the corner of my mouth. To each its own I guess.

Comment

In 4H we teach split but if having probelms w/arrow stayen on or pinching little fingers 3 under works.

Comment

Originally posted by TradAg02 View Post
                              You can have a bow tillered for three under, but personally I can’t tell the difference.

Your nock set may need to be adjusted when you initially change from split to three under.
                              This is true but not much otherwise there is no need to adjust with your fingers. Its just the world Champions say it is more accurate with 3 under not all but most. I personally like the split finger I used to shoot my compound the same way. I got a release and I was still as accurate. Personal preference to the shooter just as what type of Bow the shooter likes as well. Try it see how u like it.

Comment

First bow last August. Instinctively shot split finger. From instructor shot three under. After reading these comments tried split finger again yesterday and improved accuracy. My instructor is excellent and I have learned a lot but I think my instinctual split finger fits me better. Looking forward to learning more from Texas BowHunter.

Comment

Working...
                                X