Amistad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
    No, we got there early morning and it was hard to find them. It is not like is was years ago when there were sheep all over the place. It definitely is not what it used to be, not even close.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
    Family friends have property just to the west of Area 5. We normally see 2 or 3 herds of 20-40 of them hanging around

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hef187 View Post
      Family friends have property just to the west of Area 5. We normally see 2 or 3 herds of 20-40 of them hanging around

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
      Years ago, there used to be hundreds.

Comment

Years ago, there used to be hundreds.

And that did not count what was on private land.

Comment

I hunted Monday and Tuesday in Area 5. Saw perhaps 15 Mouflon Monday afternoon but they were already spooked as hell. One group of 5 was moving at a good clip and the group of 10 were at a full speed run around the face of a draw. Five minutes later a hunter came around the same corner. On Tuesday I saw a single ewe that was obviously looking to find the herd she had been separated from.

Sure hope it eases up a bit. My best friend is flying down from Washington state to hunt Amistad in early November, with me. I’d hate for the area to be barren.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jetlander View Post
            I hunted Monday and Tuesday in Area 5. Saw perhaps 15 Mouflon Monday afternoon but they were already spooked as hell. One group of 5 was moving at a good clip and the group of 10 were at a full speed run around the face of a draw. Five minutes later a hunter came around the same corner. On Tuesday I saw a single ewe that was obviously looking to find the herd she had been separated from.

Sure hope it eases up a bit. My best friend is flying down from Washington state to hunt Amistad in early November, with me. I’d hate for the area to be barren.

Rumor has it that the land owner to the West of area 5 was trapping them. I never confirmed that with anyone, but oh well, it is his property, there is nothing we can do.

Comment

Nice ram congrats

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunt3 View Post
                Nice ram congrats
                Thanks

Comment

Rumor has it that the land owner to the West of area 5 was trapping them. I never confirmed that with anyone, but oh well, it is his property, there is nothing we can do.

Have you found the Mouflon more consistently along that west boundary? Back in the day, 17 years ago, they seemed to be more evenly spread throughout the whole area. This trip they seemed more along the center of the area, right next to the water.

Comment

Anyone going to be over at amistad this weekend? I’m going to be over at 277 campground

Comment

Originally posted by Jetlander View Post
                      Have you found the Mouflon more consistently along that west boundary? Back in the day, 17 years ago, they seemed to be more evenly spread throughout the whole area. This trip they seemed more along the center of the area, right next to the water.

Really hard to say. There are so few now that most of them stay on private land in my opinion. You are correct, years ago they used to be evenly spread all over the place. You could find them anywhere. I remember looking down into the deep draws and see hundreds everywhere, not so anymore. Sorry I cannot be anymore help.

Comment

Doesn’t sound too promising. Now I may have to look for a Plan B for my buddy flying down. I’d hate for him to spend all that money with very little or no opportunity to see animals. I holding on to the hope that pressure will ease up and the Mouflon move back into the area. Any ongoing updates would be appreciated. I live in Houston so it’s not practical for me to go back and forth to scout.

Comment

I have continuously researched this area and continue to plan a trip. Half the stuff I read make me feel like it could be a good trip, the other half makes it see, like too much of a hassle to even bother making the drive.

I hope you have a good trip, it might just give me the kickstart I need to finalize a plan to go.

Comment

It’s always tough but I have yet failed to have a good time.

Comment

Originally posted by Gringolevi View Post
                              It’s always tough but I have yet failed to have a good time.
                              Exactly.

Comment

I've failed to have a good time on multiple hunts that I can remember. All had to do with crowds and other hunters being bafoons.

Comment

Working...
                                X