No announcement yet.

Oilfield guys... y’all hangin in there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Midstream. Working nights now, but its 1 pm and im at work now. Tomorrow same. Busier than we have ever been.

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
      Yea that WFT bankruptcy has opened up some business for many other companies. I worked there for for years, 2014-2018, and that was already happening. Can’t go on borrowing and borrowing and not making any profits on top of that. Poorly ran company unfortunately!

Are you? I’m in artificial lift, gas lift. Now office and manage a shop in Pleasanton for SLB
      No, I am self employed but work the oilfield and heavy equipment companies. I do business with SLB in the Von Ormy yard. Also do business with another AI yard that SLB owns.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadhender View Post
        The pump business continues to be busy.
        yes sir we are here at knighten industries who are you with ?

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
          I work in O&G, but in the refining sector. We are not affected by any of the boom and bust cycles that constantly take place in the “oil field”. Boom or bust, we still have product that has to be refined 24/7 and 365. If I were to ever find myself working in the “oil field” (my entire family did/has from the 30’s all the way till now) I would plan accordingly so that I didn’t fall on any hardships during the down times. When the money is good, everyone lives well beyond their means in this mindset of temporary wealth. Rather than living this way, why not live a lower cost life and save money so that you could live comfortably for 1-2 years if you had to during a down turn? You clearly know the line of work you are in. You clearly know things will at some point go south. Why not plan accordingly so that you are not affected by it? This goes for the individual worker as well as the business/shop owners.
          Im glad you're staying busy, we are having trouble keeping the work flowing in the last couple of months with drilling activity being down. less drilling = less motors being torn up

In regards to the underlined part of your post -- this thread isn't so much about the $$ or personal financing, that turned the last "oilfield" thread into a "leaking" competition. I am more interested in seeing how the rest of the areas in this industry are doing, even if we have all saved as much as we could, if our jobs go away we aren't living "comfortably"

Comment

Originally posted by roughneck266 View Post
            I left her in 2007. Dang right she was good iron. Just like pretty much every other rig they send over to Africa, she left here in good shape, but didn't make it back that way. Can barely get any parts over there, and if they figure out it's a part you really need, you ain't gettin it till you grease a bunch of palms. I miss that ol girl. I learned a ton on there.

I hear you. I hate that place. Drilled there for 4 years on both the east and west coasts. You couldn't even send me on a free hunt their. It's left a bad taste in my mouth and a stench that sticks with you. I couldn't wait to get to Atlanta and wash it off. I have never been to a more openly corrupt country than that. Not even Mexico.

Only good thing was dropping all that weight from starving to death. Wasn't anything to drop 15-20 lbs a hitch and have high cholesterol from eating nothing but French fries for 28 days

Comment

My son's company just built a new Oil/Gas supply company site that doubled in size from the one he is managing. That and there is a lot of pipe line sites in Hood County going in?

I know little about the industry so just commenting. Best of luck to all of you and hoping natural gas prices will eventually increase...my royalties need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                I work in O&G, but in the refining sector. We are not affected by any of the boom and bust cycles that constantly take place in the “oil field”. Boom or bust, we still have product that has to be refined 24/7 and 365. If I were to ever find myself working in the “oil field” (my entire family did/has from the 30’s all the way till now) I would plan accordingly so that I didn’t fall on any hardships during the down times. When the money is good, everyone lives well beyond their means in this mindset of temporary wealth. Rather than living this way, why not live a lower cost life and save money so that you could live comfortably for 1-2 years if you had to during a down turn? You clearly know the line of work you are in. You clearly know things will at some point go south. Why not plan accordingly so that you are not affected by it? This goes for the individual worker as well as the business/shop owners.
                I agree completely. But on the business end, that is much harder than it sounds. As a small shop, we only have the capacity to do so much when its hot so its not we are making all that much more. When you do make money you spend it on eqpt. to increase capacity. Then it slows down and you have to spend any saved cash to coast till the next run up. So basically always broke either way haha. I will say, at least in my experience, on the manufacturing side, the money isnt NEAR as good as some say/believe. Costs are ridiculously high.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                  I agree completely. But on the business end, that is much harder than it sounds. As a small shop, we only have the capacity to do so much when its hot so its not we are making all that much more. When you do make money you spend it on eqpt. to increase capacity. Then it slows down and you have to spend any saved cash to coast till the next run up. So basically always broke either way haha. I will say, at least in my experience, on the manufacturing side, the money isnt NEAR as good as some say/believe. Costs are ridiculously high.
                  Agree with this 100%

At this point in time operators are squeezing motor companies on pricing who turn around and squeeze us on pricing. Profit margins in the past few years have been cut in half at a minimum, and overhead isn’t getting any cheaper.

You’re also very right in saying we don’t make nearly as much as people think we do

Comment

Originally posted by johnpaul View Post
                    Market is going to soften up big time in Q4 but we are forecasting a strong Q1 in 2020. All of the big E&P companies blew their wads early this year and just don’t have the capital to drill or frac many more wells in Q4. Almost everyone in the Permian is stacking rigs and cutting frac crews. Oh well, more time for hunting and less time for work this winter!
                    We let go of about 50 employees today, frac pump sales have tanked recently. I hope you are right about a turnaround.

Comment

I worked for a forgiving mfr. from 2012 until earlier this year. It dropped off considerably in 2015 and has never really recovered. I had the chance to move to a pipeline company as a controller and took it, from what I understand the boom and bust doesn’t affect us in the same way as there is always product to be moved.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_g View Post
                        NOV has been laying off a large portion of employees at my location. Always know it’s coming when they start making rounds for drug tests, followed by early retirement offerings, and finally layoffs.
                        Originally posted by tim21877 View Post
                        We let go of about 50 employees today, frac pump sales have tanked recently. I hope you are right about a turnaround.
                        Dang, I sure hate to hear that

Comment

Our company offered Volunteer Severance. I took package, I am 59 and will retire till after hunting season. Then look for something part time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dc78 View Post
                            Our company offered Volunteer Severance. I took package, I am 59 and will retire till after hunting season. Then look for something part time.
                            Smart move IMO

Comment

I work for a fracing chemical company in Sales and Field Support, the field stuff in STX has been slower this year, but we are still doing pretty well

Comment

I am in the pipeline business and we are booming...we cant get enough pipe in the ground...

Comment

Working...
                                X