No announcement yet.

Sonora TX 2018-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do any of you feed Alfalfa northeast of Sonora ? We put some out a week ago along with filling our protein feeders. I had the ranch foreman go by and check and after a week nothing has touched the hay even though they are pounding the protein. I'm sure they've never seen it before and I guess I need to spread some corn on it maybe ? Anybody have any input?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am 3 miles east of town. It is bone dry here. Got maybe 1/16” last night.

I feed alfalfa when it’s really cold in the winter and the whitetail hammer it.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0184.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	24538200

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
          I am 3 miles east of town. It is bone dry here. Got maybe 1/16” last night.

I feed alfalfa when it’s really cold in the winter and the whitetail hammer it.

Bisch

Did you have to do anything special to get them to eat it ? I just figured there ain't nothing on our ranch that's green except the mesquites and I figured they'd hammer it.

Comment

Originally posted by TexZ71 View Post
            [ATTACH]905523[/ATTACH]

Nice haul Tex !

Comment

Originally posted by mexico70 View Post
              Nice haul Tex !

Thanks, we found six more after I took that picture, but none bigger than the sheds in the picture.

Comment

Did you have to do anything special to get them to eat it ? I just figured there ain't nothing on our ranch that's green except the mesquites and I figured they'd hammer it.

We've been putting alfalfa out on our place for a little over a year. This time of year, deer and exotics are hitting fresh buds and browse and show no interest in the alfalfa at our place too. Give it a month or two and they'll be hitting it. You might try pouring imitation vanilla on it. Lowes grocery in Sonora has the vanilla for $.99 a bottle if you forget to bring it with you.

Comment

We filled four 1,000 pound protein feeders of 5k acres and the deer plowed through over half of it in two weeks [emoji15]. I’m afraid to see what the protein bill is going to be this summer!

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                    We've been putting alfalfa out on our place for a little over a year. This time of year, deer and exotics are hitting fresh buds and browse and show no interest in the alfalfa at our place too. Give it a month or two and they'll be hitting it. You might try pouring imitation vanilla on it. Lowes grocery in Sonora has the vanilla for $.99 a bottle if you forget to bring it with you.

Makes sense. Thanks !

Comment

Sonora TX 2018-2019

No, I just threw a bale out on the ground at each feeder. The only thing I did to it was to remove the top wire and spread out the end a bit so it would be easier for them to start on. In about 5 days there would be nothing but stubble left on the ground.

I have only fed alfalfa when it was bitter cold out. I would assume that at this time of year there are other things for them to concentrate on more.

Bisch

Last edited by Bisch; 04-21-2018, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Heading up this weekend to see if me or my dad can connect on a bird. Also lots of work to do as well.

Anyone else heading that way this weekend?

Comment

Got some good rain today.

Comment

Sonora TX 2018-2019

Got between 1/2” and 3/4” at my house. Sure was nice to see water falling from the sky, and Lord knows, that pastures around here sure need it!!!!!!

Bisch

Comment

Man I sure hope we got some northwest of town .

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
                                Got some good rain today.

Bout dang time! The deer are behind the curve big time...

Comment

Working...
                                X