Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shooting Exotics during deer season only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting Exotics during deer season only?

I would like to hear from folks who are allowed to shoot exotics ONLY during deer season and what are the reasons for that rule / thought process.

Thanks

Im sure the LO has his/her reasons for it. LO rules dont always make sense to the hunters, but if its what they want then so be it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex View Post
      I would like to hear from folks who are allowed to shoot exotics ONLY during deer season and what are the reasons for that rule / thought process.

Thanks

That would be a no go for me unless there were lots of trophy animals on the place. Couldn’t imagine hunting the year before and not taking a trophy class buck to pass on a trophy exotic in April while down for a work weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lots of leases are not year round. Landowner leases his “deer” hunting rights, but not his ranch for camping, shooting, recreation the rest of the year.
        I might not be the most lenient lessor if I ever leased my place.

BP
        Last edited by Big pig; 04-14-2018, 05:36 AM.

Comment

I’m sure it is because the landowner doesn’t want hunters on his place year round. I wouldn’t either.

Comment

Year around access doesn’t mean year around hunting

Comment

I have a buddy that given year round total access he would basically live there......there's a reason some don't offer it

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                Year around access doesn’t mean year around hunting

This right here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Let's face it, landowners don't want you there at all, they just want your money. Some of them are more lenient than others, but it all boils down to what they think they can get by with and still have hunters pay to hunt. Simple as that.

Comment

Alot depends on if you are paying a premium price too. If I'm paying $6500 I expect more than at $2500

Comment

Landowner makes the rules. Their Reasoning doesn't matter.
                      When you buy your own land, you can make your own rules

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                        Let's face it, landowners don't want you there at all, they just want your money. Some of them are more lenient than others, but it all boils down to what they think they can get by with and still have hunters pay to hunt. Simple as that.
                        I would say most , but not all. My last two leases I have made good friends with the owners We work just as hard on their ranches as we do at ours. And treat the owners with respect as you would any host.

Landowners leasing their land have seen all types. Probably causes them to be a little crusty at first.

Comment

I wouldn't be on a lease that had those rules in place but I can understand why the LO would have them.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                            I wouldn't be on a lease that had those rules in place but I can understand why the LO would have them.
                            Same here...we don't have nor do i really care about exotics, but if I get the itch to go varmint hunting, there needs to be year round hunting for any lease I'll be on.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                              I would say most , but not all. My last two leases I have made good friends with the owners We work just as hard on their ranches as we do at ours. And treat the owners with respect as you would any host.

Landowners leasing their land have seen all types. Probably causes them to be a little crusty at first.
                              I had a lease in Runnels Co. for 18 years, and the lady cried when I gave it up. She said we were like family. She bragged on us to her friends and said we were the best. However, that didn't keep her from raising the price twice (would have been three times if I had stayed), planting the 75 acre field in grass, (that was winter wheat for years), forbidding us to move stands, wanting us to haul carcasses off, etc.

I mowed her yard every time I mowed in front of the camphouse (that I built and left for her), rented a dozer twice and brushed back her roads, repaired her pond dam, and fixed the mudholes in her driveway. Picked up limbs and rocks and repaired her fences.

Leasing is not about friendship, it's about paying to tresspass, with amenities or without. I'm not saying it's good or bad. It was certainly good for me for about 12 years out of the 18, but slowly and surely the bad outweighed the good, so I bought my own place with less deer, no turkeys, and way too many **** hogs, but the house I built is mine and I don't miss the 6 hour drive one bit !

Friends let you hunt for free, lessors let you hunt for money, and that fact ain't gonna change...

Comment

Working...
                              X