GMC 6.2L half ton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
    Not even close? Glad you like your truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    I wouldn't say it was close honestly. Taking off the eco may have some advantage at really low RPM but at highway speeds passing and pulling the 6.2 has been better for me. I also have a lot of work ecoboosts so I am not bashing them in any way they are a good motor.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
      I wouldn't say it was close honestly. Taking off the eco may have some advantage at really low RPM but at highway speeds passing and pulling the 6.2 has been better for me. I also have a lot of work ecoboosts so I am not bashing them in any way they are a good motor.

Not even close? Ok. TFL truck disagrees with you.

The 5.0 Ford runs almost neck and neck with the 6.2 so the ecoboost should spank it soundly, especially is 0-60 times are any indication.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Have 2014 6.2 max tow 4x4. It's a great truck, with lots of power. All I pull is a 21' bass boat, probably 4500lbs, and pulls it like a champ while still getting 12.5-13 mpg at 70mph. As much as I hate to say it, the ecoboost is a beast, but I hate the way they sound (V-6) and refuse to buy one.

I'm seriously considering a supercharger and long tube headers for mine..... I want more power and will be far cheaper than me buying a diesel....

Comment

One other thing to consider the weight being towed and stopping power. I have buddy with an offshore boat, in the 10 k range. He pulls it with a Tundra, I pull with f250 gasser. I can pull just as good if not better, but stopping is mine. That said, my father 5.0 half ton only beats my F-250 on hwy an thats if if we set the trip meters at same time. Otherwise we are **** close on monthly average, same with my brother 1/2 ton gas Dodge. I think they are pretty close to the same. Pick your poison and weight your going to pull and go with it. I like 4x4's with straight front axles, so its Dodge or Ford for me in the 3./4 ton market.

Comment

I got to drive an eco boost for the first time a couple months ago, and I have to say I was pretty impressed. But when it comes to towing very much, I can't imagine it would be in the same class as any modern big V8.

I'm also curious if anyone has any real world data on the eco boost as far as long term under heavy work loads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
              I've never ran anything but regular unlead in mine.

Yeah...no idea where the premium idea comes from. 80k miles and mine has never seen the first drop of premium.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                I got to drive an eco boost for the first time a couple months ago, and I have to say I was pretty impressed. But when it comes to towing very much, I can't imagine it would be in the same class as any modern big V8.

I'm also curious if anyone has any real world data on the eco boost as far as long term under heavy work loads?

My buddy just ejected a piston on a ecoboost pulling a bay boat back to San Antonio , ford had it for 6 weeks, he now has two truck payments with his new tundra. That being said V-8 is my choice

Comment

My wife's 2013 Yukon has the 6.2. It's a great engine for sure. Pulls way better than the '06 5.4L I used to have. It averages around 15mpg without a load. I was so impressed with this engine that it was a tough decision when I was looking at new trucks. But the 6.7L won.

Comment

Ours is a 2017 GMC SLT 6.2l. 3.23 gears. The 8 speed tranny makes up for the highway gearing.

Empty, we average around 17 mpg mixed. I towed the camper shown from Cleburne to Brackettville. It's about 6k lbs and the flat front makes it a sail. We got 8.3 mpg on the drive home (65 mph).

Having towed quite a bit with both engines, I'll say the the 6.2l (GM) pulls with more authority and gets better fuel economy than the ecoboost. Empty and loaded.

GM recommends 91 octane or higher for the 6.2l. Ford recommends the same for the ecoboost only when towing. They're both great power plants, I'm just partial to GM trucks and I greatly prefer a V8 to a V6 (regardless of aspiration method).

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

In for the answer as well... in the market for a truck this week...

Comment

There's no replacement for displacement.

Comment

I have a 2010 6.2 and it has pulled great. I only have 58,000 miles on it but it's been a good truck for what I've used it for.

Comment

Originally posted by SAC View Post
                            There's no replacement for displacement.

I hear that argument a lot and it's true. A 6.2L turbo engine will outperform a 3.5 all other factors being even. Turbocharged 3.5 as delivered from the factory vs 6.2 delivered from the factory the 3.5 makes more power and makes it lower in the rpm band.

Comment

How about we get more specific...

Can someone explain how the ecoboost stacks up IRL, not on paper, when towing say... a 6500lb travel trailer? I just don't see how it can possibly compete...

Comment

GMC 6.2L half ton

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
                                I hear that argument a lot and it's true. A 6.2L turbo engine will outperform a 3.5 all other factors being even. Turbocharged 3.5 as delivered from the factory vs 6.2 delivered from the factory the 3.5 makes more power and makes it lower in the rpm band.

And the 3.5 still won't pull like the 6.2, and it won't last as long...I don't care what the charts and tables and papers say.

Last edited by Dale Moser; 03-19-2017, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X