Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Put it on cold right out of the fridge if you want a better smoke ring.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Turned out pretty good I would say. You may not have had a thick bark, but you got the flavorful crust none the less. Good job

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

What does smoke ring taste like? 😂

Comment

Turned out VERY good. Had about 10 people over and not a scrap left behind after the first couple of hours. It was super tender, super tasty and had a good flavor. I could care less about the smoke ring honestly my intention is to cook a really edible, flavorful brisket and my little 30” MES does the job well. I’ve tweaked the rub a few times just to see what sort of flavor I can pull but salt and pepper are tasty just by themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by mmlreiner View Post
              Turned out VERY good. Had about 10 people over and not a scrap left behind after the first couple of hours. It was super tender, super tasty and had a good flavor. I could care less about the smoke ring honestly my intention is to cook a really edible, flavorful brisket and my little 30” MES does the job well. I’ve tweaked the rub a few times just to see what sort of flavor I can pull but salt and pepper are tasty just by themselves.

Comment

I have a Masterbuilt Smoker with a glass door. Only tried one brisket and it was shoe leather. Pork butts turn out awesome though. Care to elaborate on the lumb charcoal and pellets? My smoker only has a little shoot that you add wood chips to the side. Did you modify the smoker? Thanks - would love to turn out a brisket like that.

Comment

Ok here’s a run down on what to do:
                  Get a full size brisket, this one was 17.5 lbs.
                  trim off some of the excess fat from the point and then cut the point from the flat so you’ve got two pieces otherwise it won’t fit in the smoker. You’re going to smoke them on two racks at first. Two hours before you start your smoker pull out the brisket and a 60/40 mix of course black pepper and kosher salt. Rub all over generously and put back in the fridge in foil or whatever’s handy. At two hours pull out on the table to sit and head out to the smoker. I’ve got a digital thermo with 6 prongs that I use that I got off amazon. Put three probes through the smoke vent at the top and let them dangle in the smoker above the racks and turn on the thermo. All probes should read the same temp. You have a tray in there already, fill it with lump charcoal or just briquettes. Pull the little add on tray out and leave it. You need that hole to keep the air flow so your pellet tray doesn’t suffocate. Get a smallish pellet tray (I love my amazn tray as it smokes for at least four hours without being messed with). Fill the tray with pellets of your choice and light one end until it’s a flame. Let the flame burn out on its own or blow it out after a few minutes of burning. It should be smoking when you place it in the smoker. Put water in your catch pan and then on the same catch pan tray set your pellets on the opposite side from the drip pan. Place a grate above that and on that grate put some tin foil covering your pellets. This is so the drippings from the food don’t land on your pellets and put them out. Now put your briskets fat side up, on different racks at the top, one directly above the other. Put one probe in the meatiest spot on each brisket and leave one probe just hanging (you don’t have to have the third I just have it to double check the temp in the smoker). Close the lid, leave the smoke hole open and start your smoker. You should have a read on both briskets so you know if one needs to be pulled faster than the other but mine are always within two or three degrees. I literally leave everything alone for the first four hours unless I notice it’s stopped smoking. If it has, make sure it’s getting a decent airflow to keep your pellets going. You’ve got the lump charcoal as a second smoke source and it should get you through the first two hours or so. That tray should get you at least four hours. I set my smoker at 250 and I wait until my briskets are close to 170 usually before I wrap them together to get them through the “stall”. Every single time I’ve smoked I get to the stall and try and wait it out but after sitting for four, five hours at the same temp I’ll go ahead and wrap them. Within a couple of hours they’re up to 200. That’s when they need to be pulled and left in the foil, placed in the over that’s OFF and wrapped in a couple of towels. Let them rest for an hour or two before enjoying. My briskets are still pretty warm to the touch when I cut into them but not hot. If they’re hot to the touch let them rest longer. It’s part of the cooking process just like a steak. I cooked that 17.5 lb brisket, after trimming it was about 15 lbs and it was at 200 within 11 hours. It rested for another three hours and was absolutely perfect.

Comment

Do everything you can not to split the brisket. Use one of these methods.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1946.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	24534248

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1945.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	24534249

Comment

My 3 I cooked today turned out fantastic...it just takes finding the right temps, spot in your cooker and plenty of patience... I messed some up early on. Kinda got it down to a feel now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by mmlreiner View Post
                        Ok here’s a run down on what to do....
                        Awesome - Thanks for the help!

Comment

I like my brisket tender. I also use a masterbuilt with an AMP. I wrapped a tile with foil to put over the AMP. Seems to help with keeping temp steady also. If you can keep the AMP lit you can have a perfect smoke ring. I don't acre about the smoke ring being perfect, as long as i get tender brisket that melts in your mouth. Seems like if brisket is tough, it isn't cooked long enough, or not cut cross grain.

This is a good place to learn, they even have a class to take online. The have forums for every kind of meat.

Comment

I also have a stick smoker, but its not sealed very well (cheap model), and its hard to keep the temp down below 250°. The electric is so much easier.

Comment

I’ve split the brisket every time and honestly, it’s friggin great. It’s got more square inches of bark lol. But I agree completely that the bark and the tenderness are the most important factors. If it doesn’t eat good, well then it doesn’t eat good lol and it’s a waste of a bunch of time and some cash. When people come to the house to eat they never say “oh my goodness there’s not enough of a smoke ring”. They eat it and say “holy crap you can cook a brisket!” And I am by NO means any sort of expert. I know to put it on at night, the way I described and let her go! Always plan to smoke an hour for each lb of meat and you’ll do fine. Biggest thing that screws it up is freaking out that it’s sat at 160-170-180 for too long and it looks burnt. Push it past that stall and it’ll be fantastic. At least that’s the mistakes I made my first couple of times.

Comment

Working...
                              X