No announcement yet.

Dalmatian dogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An old neighbor of mine had a beautiful Dalmatian. It loved adults but it would not tolerate children.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
      I’m sure some will disagree, but it’s all in how you socialize them as a pup and continue on thru their first year. I have a 160 pound male Presa Canario, known by most as “man eaters” and banned in many countries across the world. He was fully obedience trained by 6 months. I started socializing him the day I brought him home. He is know 2.5 years old. He goes to the nursing home with me to visit my grandma all the time. He’s been to the Veterans Center. Anyone can pet him, but he is protective of me as far as he never takes his eyes off me and always stays between me and whoever else is around.

My point in saying this is, any breed can be mean/aggressive. Any breed can be gentle/nice to all. You as the owner are responsible for how they turn out. If you don’t work with them and just let them decide how they want to be on their own.....well it’s a crap shoot. Cocker Spaniels have disfigured more kids faces than just about any other breed.

I have to agree, it’s socialization, training, knowing the breeds requirements and establishing leadership.
      Maybe some of the comments about Dalmatians being mean and not good with kids is actually that they have been put in a yard without the physical and mental exercise required of the breed? Maybe the bad with small kids is actually pent up energy..... either way, most “bad” dogs behaviors are a direct result of the owner not doing his part. IMO

Comment

Dalmatian dogs?

My dog was socialized. He was good at first and went south as he got older. All my dogs are socialized and obedience trained. My working labs went through more extensive training than 99.9% of the biscuit eating socialized yard runners so I understand the concepts and needs.

Socializing dogs and obedience training is nothing new. Bad owners making bad dogs is nothing new either. But some breeds of dogs just aren’t meant to be family dogs... sure there are some outliers and some “oh yeah my dog wouldn’t hurt a fly” owners but as a whole through the years I have heard more bad about Dalmatians than good and it’s not close. This thread pretty much follows the trend.
        Last edited by Smart; 02-26-2019, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Brother had one years ago. Not a social dog. I think I’d rather have a pit

Comment

Like others. We had one. He was not even close to the sharpest dog. He als was not nice

Comment

Had one growing up. She had brown spots rather than black. She was sweet, extremely high strung and a ton of energy. Like others have said, they are not the smartest dogs, but very loyal. I never saw aggression from her towards strangers, but I’ve seen other Dalmatians that were not family friendly at all.

Comment

Our Dalmatian was fiercely protective. He would protect "his" family, as well as the other 9 houses on our culdesac we grew up in. He knew the cars / trucks, etc. Over the course of his life, he bit three people that "did not belong". When we let him out, we had to muzzle him. Fiercely loyal, but not good around others. My $.02. KJ

Comment

Dalmatians do not make good pets. They were originally bred as guard dogs believe it or not. Not attack dogs, guard dogs.

Comment

Ours actually came from my brothers firehouse. Got him as a pup and brother took him there. Always around people and spoiled. He did not like outsiders. Of course we got him when he couldn’t be at firehouse. I liked him. He just didn’t like other people

Comment

Saw on the news feed this morning that a dalmatian had 19 puppies breaking the recent record of 18 in 2009

Comment

very moody and unpredictable, get another lab

Comment

Make your wife read this thread

Comment

Had one that was DUMB! Tried all types of way to keep him in. Would dig under the fence so we got a hot wire fence. Then decided he could go over. Once he got out he would not stop running. Spent hours chasing that stupid dog. Was a moody dog also. Would play fine with other people and dogs then would switch in a second. Will never have another.

Comment

I've yet to see one I liked personally... I worked in a vet clinic and meet a few.. just overall an ehh breed that blew up with bad breeding's after 101 dalmatians movie...

That said I'm sure ppl love them I just don't have a use for them...
                              Last edited by catslayer; 02-26-2019, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                                I’m sure some will disagree, but it’s all in how you socialize them as a pup and continue on thru their first year. I have a 160 pound male Presa Canario, known by most as “man eaters” and banned in many countries across the world. He was fully obedience trained by 6 months. I started socializing him the day I brought him home. He is know 2.5 years old. He goes to the nursing home with me to visit my grandma all the time. He’s been to the Veterans Center. Anyone can pet him, but he is protective of me as far as he never takes his eyes off me and always stays between me and whoever else is around.

My point in saying this is, any breed can be mean/aggressive. Any breed can be gentle/nice to all. You as the owner are responsible for how they turn out. If you don’t work with them and just let them decide how they want to be on their own.....well it’s a crap shoot. Cocker Spaniels have disfigured more kids faces than just about any other breed.
                                I agree that socialization is key and GOOD STRONG training... But I just see no upside to them(damations).

PS I would LOVE to meet your presa... I waant a Corso soooo bad....

If your wife just wants a spotty dog look at the setters, they are beautiful, spotty known to be super friendly... AND LOVE BIRDS!

Comment

Working...
                                X