• Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^^^^^Looks like someone is on them bucks again^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Harry View Post
      ^^^^^^Looks like someone is on them bucks again^^^^
      Yes he is.

On a side note, I would have killed the **** out of that snake. I'll tolerate rattlers and copperheads, but I HATE cottonmouths.

Comment

Where do y'all typically find persimmon trees in the sam. I've only found one. In the dcnf I've found groves with hundreds of them but in the sam just one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not to many persimon trees out there most I see are next to the roads where it would be illegal to hunt. You might find some next to creeks.
          Last edited by Buck-Chaser; 08-19-2017, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck-Chaser View Post
            Not to many persimon trees out there most I see are next to the roads where it would be illegal to hunt. You might find some next to creeks.
            I noticed someone on jut Facebook page pointed out it was a timber rattler, they do get dark like that as they age, did it have rattles?... Actually after zooming in looks like no rattles and it's showing you it's white mouth? Cool pic
            Last edited by forest-hunter; 08-19-2017, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefWhackABuck View Post
              I will get a pic, cause yeah they definitely aren't grapes. I'll be heading out there in the next couple days. They've got the cherry pit and seed just like a store bought one, and thanks, it was my first time trying a euro mount.
              what method did you do for the euro? (Looks clean)I know some people go through a lot of effort but the skulls I find in the forest look ready to hang on a plaque.

Comment

Originally posted by forest-hunter View Post
                what method did you do for the euro? (Looks clean)I know some people go through a lot of effort but the skulls I find in the forest look ready to hang on a plaque.
                I skinned the head, cut off the ears and eyes, took off as much meat as I could before boiling the head. Boil the head till the remaining meat and tendons start to split. Take the head out, use pliers to pull the top and bottom teeth and tusks (exclude molars and premolars). Pull the sinus out (keep snout on to pull it all out at once ) then wash with decent pressure from hose. Boil again with regular water if needed. After all meat is off and brain is out, boil in 40%peroxide 60%water until white enough for your liking. Then paint mop and glo on skull to keep it sealed and from catching dust.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Comment

Also, I found the grapes you guys mentioned. They are attached here. Then I found the cherries again, which I showed to the biologist for the Sam, and although not yet ripe, he confirmed them to be cherries. They will also be attached (grape first two pics, cherries last pic. The grapes had four seeds, the cherries one as per usual)

Comment

Also, I found the grapes you guys mentioned. They are attached here. Then I found the cherries again, which I showed to the biologist for the Sam, and although not yet ripe, he confirmed them to be cherries. They will also be attached (grape first two pics, cherries last pic. The grapes had four seeds, the cherries one as per usual)

Wow. That's crazy. I have never seen those cherries before. Are they edible?

Btw the grapes in the first pic are indeed muscadines.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                      Wow. That's crazy. I have never seen those cherries before. Are they edible?

Btw the grapes in the first pic are indeed muscadines.
                      Yeah they they matched the description of the wild grapes someone else mentioned so I took a guess there. As for the cherries, they aren't quite as good as the ones in store, granted they weren't fully ripe, but they are indeed edible.

Last edited by ChiefWhackABuck; 08-19-2017, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Wow that's Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Those are wild plums. We have a bunch on our property. I couldnt see your picture of the leaves but the fruit looks like a Flatwoods plum or possibly Mexican plum. Deer and hogs will camp out under them when they are dropping. The trees around here drop from middle of September to first week of October.

Comment

Haha yeah those are wild plums, not cherries.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTx View Post
                              Those are wild plums. We have a bunch on our property. I couldnt see your picture of the leaves but the fruit looks like a Flatwoods plum or possibly Mexican plum. Deer and hogs will camp out under them when they are dropping. The trees around here drop from middle of September to first week of October.
                              Well figures, close but no cigar. They are in the same genus as cherries though, which is probably why they were so similar looking. [emoji848]

Comment

Cherries, plums, still the first I've seen of them in the Sam good find.

Comment

Working...
                                X