Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring Food Plot....Getting it ready to plant.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
    Dang Radar, you sho nuff got a jump on me. Last week my soil temps were still in the 50s. I sprayed my plots though and I'll be breaking ground toward the last of this week.
    One of my little plots is down to bare dirt already. I got and extra sack of peas, so I might re seed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
      One of my little plots is down to bare dirt already. I got and extra sack of peas, so I might re seed it.
      How big are your plots that are getting hit so hard? High deer density I assume? Room to make them bigger plots?

Comment

Originally posted by mdnabors View Post
        How big are your plots that are getting hit so hard? High deer density I assume? Room to make them bigger plots?
        I have one small plot that is about 1/2 acre and it is in the middle of a white brush thicket. Every year it gets hit hard, but with the dry spell the peas could not keep up with the deer. There are 3 does that pretty much live in the thicket and they hang out in the plot.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
          I have one small plot that is about 1/2 acre and it is in the middle of a white brush thicket. Every year it gets hit hard, but with the dry spell the peas could not keep up with the deer. There are 3 does that pretty much live in the thicket and they hang out in the plot.
          I get away with IC peas on my place, but I have lots of good browse and a couple clover plots to distract them. Where I hunt in Trinity Co they wiped me out in 6 weeks. I saw as many as 8 deer in a trail cam pic several times in that 1.5 acre plot. Gonna try sunn hemp in it this year and see what happens.

Big Bone, that WINA clover is hard to beat. Kinda pricey, but when it lasts 4/5 years it kinda puts a little different light on it. I've had excellent luck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
            I get away with IC peas on my place, but I have lots of good browse and a couple clover plots to distract them. Where I hunt in Trinity Co they wiped me out in 6 weeks. I saw as many as 8 deer in a trail cam pic several times in that 1.5 acre plot. Gonna try sunn hemp in it this year and see what happens.

Big Bone, that WINA clover is hard to beat. Kinda pricey, but when it lasts 4/5 years it kinda puts a little different light on it. I've had excellent luck with it.

Yes sir it is pricey but your exactly right. I was skeptical about the 5 years of comeback they were telling me but 4-5 is about right. Great product. It’s kinda of the same thing with the eagle seed soybeans. Obviously we hadn’t tried all beans but the different varieties we have tried failed because of high deer density and ended up with bare dirt. The eagle seeds get hammered down as well but always gets back to 3-5 foot and the deer still like them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

IC cow peas, soy beans, sorghum, subflowers and a few other grasses in this plot. Looking good so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Should get more soakers west of DFW in next couple days. Been a good run of rain followed by sun since planting 4/20. I had peas/beans coming up an inch or two on 4/27 already.

Comment

Started on the 4 new plots on my new project property this evening. Wow. If it could go wrong it went wrong!

Vegetation was mowed 3 weeks ago and sprayed 2 weeks ago. You could shoot marbles on it. Didn’t know what I might unearth so I took my 4100 and an 8’ disk instead of my big equipment that I have to make a living with . Ground was as hard as Chinese algebra I went over it no less than 10 times on one plot. BOTH sides of 3 point broke OFF! Had to leave and get welding truck. Came back and welded till dark. Didn’t want to risk the seed and have another break so I loaded up at dark and headed in. I’ll try to finish that 1 plot tomorrow. I dread #2 & #3. The #4 should be softer.

Comment

Got 3 of 4 planted today in a soaking rain. Hope to get 4th this evening or tomorrow. Then I have my 2 personal ones to plant.

Comment

What can you spray on a sunflower, millet, lablab, sorghum plot to kill summer weeds?

Comment

Okay, glad I found this thread. I have absolutely ZERO experience dong any sort of planting/food plots, but I certainly want to start. We have 800 acres high fence and there is plenty of spots where I can do food plots.

Where is the best source to turn to for information? I live in the Dallas area and the ranch is near Abilene so I need to figure out how to make this work. We have tractors and such, just not the know-how to get it going.

Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                          What can you spray on a sunflower, millet, lablab, sorghum plot to kill summer weeds?
                          Probably nothing. If weeds are y’all enough, gly in a wick applicator

Comment

Originally posted by SPDKLZ View Post
                            Okay, glad I found this thread. I have absolutely ZERO experience dong any sort of planting/food plots, but I certainly want to start. We have 800 acres high fence and there is plenty of spots where I can do food plots.

Where is the best source to turn to for information? I live in the Dallas area and the ranch is near Abilene so I need to figure out how to make this work. We have tractors and such, just not the know-how to get it going.

Any ideas?
                            There are plenty of threads on here that will tell you all you need to know. QDMA also has a lot of articles and videos on the subject.

Basically, break up the ground with disk or tiller. Broadcast seed. Drag to cover, and pray for rain. A soil test is recommended and you can fertilize according to your soil test results. It can get more involved, but what I described is simple and yields great results..........depending on rain.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                              There are plenty of threads on here that will tell you all you need to know. QDMA also has a lot of articles and videos on the subject.

Basically, break up the ground with disk or tiller. Broadcast seed. Drag to cover, and pray for rain. A soil test is recommended and you can fertilize according to your soil test results. It can get more involved, but what I described is simple and yields great results..........depending on rain.
                              This pretty well covers the basics, but I'll add one thing. Well, two things. A soil test is not only recommended, it's almost mandatory for success. Amend your soil accordingly and use the fertilizer as recommended. The other thing is to plant what will thrive in the moisture you normally have. We can grow almost anything in ETexas, but your choices are probably gonna be more limited.

QDMA website is a good place to start. They have several crop profiles that you can study. Good luck !

Comment

I got about 3 acres planted on my place yesterday. I planted Real World RR beans in two one acre plots where I've had some severe weeds problems and IC peas in two other smaller plots. I got these plots disced up Wednesday and put out 1,050 lb. of fertilizer and almost 200 lb. of seed yesterday. I was tired ! Hope the cuss-ed hogs didn't eat up my seed last night
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X