No announcement yet.

Shoot or let him walk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tough time of the year to pin down an age from pics, but he definitely doesn't look like a young deer to me. Unless an in person experience made me decide otherwise I would be ready to fling an arrow the first time he showed up

Comment

Originally posted by WamBow View Post
      So what is everyone seeing from the B&W hazy pics that makes so sure he's a rare "run down" older buck? Imo if he's that old to have the thinning from age he wouldn't have such a sizeable rack. The deer biology would maintain his body first not his rack. I think he's a very impressive young deer that should be allowed to spread those genetics. "Run down" old bucks are very rare much less sporting a huge rack. All that said, I would want to see color pics that might show the sagging hide in the face and jaw line to be sure.
      Many people mistake old bucks this time of year because they don't really look like old bucks. The thin neck makes them look younger, no doubt about that. But you'd be hard pressed to find a 4.5 year old buck with a body like that any where in Texas. The body is what gives away his age.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboybam58 View Post
        Many people mistake old bucks this time of year because they don't really look like old bucks. The thin neck makes them look younger, no doubt about that. But you'd be hard pressed to find a 4.5 year old buck with a body like that any where in Texas. The body is what gives away his age.
        It would be cool if the OP posted any pics he gets during the season. It'd be educational to see the transformation...for me at least.

Comment

There is no way on earth I could let that deer walk... Shoot him and let us see the teeth! I'd bet he has some age one him!

Comment

I'd shoot him.

I wonder if your neighbors are looking at game cam pics of the same deer and saying "if we don't shoot him the neighbor will"

Comment

Originally posted by WamBow View Post
              Typically a mature bucks antlers will extend to or past his nose. Based on the color pic I don't see the age in the face. Also don't see the girth in the front shoulders mature bucks usually develop. No sagging or squinting eyes. His antlers have several extra points; any protein feed? No matter what that is a nice looking buck.
              Antlers extending past the nose has nothing to do with age

Comment

He ain't got a lot of tooth left, I bet. That's ol' grandpa.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post

Agreed... new one on me. Never heard that aging tool characteristic before in my life.

Comment

Shoot

Comment

I'd shoot him!

Comment

shoot

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          Agreed... new one on me. Never heard that aging tool characteristic before in my life.

Glad I'm not the only one who has never heard of that aging technique. *

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't worry what he will score's, put him on the ground and then you can measure.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                              Originally posted by Smart View Post
                              Originally posted by shaft_slinger00 View Post
                              Glad I'm not the only one who has never heard of that aging technique. *

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              I used to hear this back in the 90's when aging a deer was just starting to be a "thing". I chuckled a little bit when I read it because I havent heard that in probably 20 years.

OP, very mature buck and you shouldnt hesitate shooting him if given the chance. I hate trying to age bucks in the summertime but this guy is pretty easy. Also, his body is going to look much different in about 6 weeks. Good luck!

Comment

Shoot!

Comment

Working...
                                X