No announcement yet.

Your 2017 Trad Goals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My goal is to sell all my recurves (10) as I'm unable to shoot them anymore. Sad but true.
    I've 2 grandsons, so I've got to keep a couple anyway.
    Lippe

Comment

Originally posted by CRM_95 View Post
      Kinda cool to see this. I've accomplished a few of these...I'm finally shooting a really well tuned bow, shooting pretty good at 20, and have my vacations scheduled the way I outlined them in the quoted post. I'm still up in the air on whether or not to run cameras, and time will tell if I can resist the temptation to break the rifle out. If I start getting pics of a good buck consistently it's like I have to kill him... Oh and I've also added a pig and an aoudad to my list of animals taken with a trad bow.
      You have definitely started off your trad bow hunting adventure doing pretty darn well buddy. You've put alot of critters down in short order.

It sounds so simple, but Buff made a comment that just always stuck out to me in my mind. There isn't anything wrong with killing a deer by other means, but that is one less sit and opportunity you had to kill a deer with your bow; and therefore the odds of getting a deer with your bow go down.

The goal of killing 2 deer with my trad bow aren't really all that unrealistic. The first year I flung 2 arrows at 2 deer. The first I back strapped, the 2nd I killed. Last year, I hunted smarter based on some things I had learned. I had way more opportunities, but I just didn't capitalize on them. Realistically, I could have had 3 deer in the cooler based on arrows flung. But I had one miss, and another high hit. I even had another one practically dead to rights until my limb hit the ceiling when I was drawing (addressing that one this offseason.)

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
        Kill a Bush Pig in February before Shiloh beats me to it
        [ATTACH]833870[/ATTACH]
        So Marty have you had a chance to get?

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Shoot a feral monkey in south Texas

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
            1) I'd like to get some animals in the bed of my truck or basket of my cart with a traditional bow or two.

2) I'd like to extend my confident shooting range to double what it is now. Currently that's 15 yards.

Not quite to 30 but 25 is getting closer to reality.

3) I'd like to increase my draw weight capability to 50lbs at my draw length.

Done. Wondering about another 5lbs . . .

4) I'd like to purchase a 50lbs at my draw length BW PSR and shoot it well.

No PSR but I have a PSA. Still saving for that one.

5) Last but not least I would like to link up with some local traditional shooters, get back into a local club and learn how bad I am at this new obsession.

Too much work at the new ranch, scout outings, work and building deer stands for much hunting or club shooting.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
              So Marty have you had a chance to get?

It rained out on his trip.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Crud. I was looking forward to seeing the mount.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                  You have definitely started off your trad bow hunting adventure doing pretty darn well buddy. You've put alot of critters down in short order.

It sounds so simple, but Buff made a comment that just always stuck out to me in my mind. There isn't anything wrong with killing a deer by other means, but that is one less sit and opportunity you had to kill a deer with your bow; and therefore the odds of getting a deer with your bow go down.

The goal of killing 2 deer with my trad bow aren't really all that unrealistic. The first year I flung 2 arrows at 2 deer. The first I back strapped, the 2nd I killed. Last year, I hunted smarter based on some things I had learned. I had way more opportunities, but I just didn't capitalize on them. Realistically, I could have had 3 deer in the cooler based on arrows flung. But I had one miss, and another high hit. I even had another one practically dead to rights until my limb hit the ceiling when I was drawing (addressing that one this offseason.)
                  Thanks man!! Buff is absolutely right. As happy as I was with my buck last year, I had hunted the same spot the day before I killed him with my bow. Chances are, I would have had a chance with my bow the day I killed him if I'd taken it, and that was one of my first thoughts!!

Comment

My only real goal for the upcoming season is to be able to comfortably pull back my bow without all the pain in my shoulder. I have been rehabbing the shoulder since February and am finally starting to get fairly comfortable again.

Comment

Im just getting started on my Trad journey. My goal is to find a bow that fits me and get good enough with it to try my luck on a hog. Maybe get some small game mixed in.

Comment

Work More and hunt less!!! ( I'm trying reverse psychology!! The other way never pans out like I want)

Comment

Not sure it works that way but it probably can't hurt.[emoji2]

Comment

1. Get back to shooting every day
                            2. kill something with my longbow here in Texas

Comment

I think I might like to learn how to get into 3d shooting between hunting seasons.

Comment

Just wondering how everyone has progressed in their goals for the year so far. I know most of mine are not looking good but a couple of them are becoming realistic.
                                Last edited by DRT; 08-15-2017, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X