Lake Grapevine 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArcheryAssassin View Post
    I will be out all day friday thru sunday for the first time this season, I plan on all day sits and a lil scouting around, I wanna find Larry's magical big buk paradise. where do you plan on starting and what deer
    I'll be hunting that big buck paradise

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ArcheryAssassin View Post
      exactly !!! if 300.00 bucks is to much for someonen to pay for a non resident fee then maybe they need another hobby like hunting in their home state
      Interesting reply above, but I beg to differ. As hunters we share the same passion, and with hunting numbers decreasing we should be looking for ways to encourage people to hunt and become hunters. High license and permit fees preclude this. Case in point. Look at Missouri. Missouri charges Texans $75 for an archery tag. You get two deer tags and two turkey tags. Let's look at New York State. How much do you think.......$100 for a non-resident. My point is not to belittle Texas but to make it more hunter friendly from a financial standpoint. God Bless Texas!!
      Back to the thread theme! Any deer photos or deer harvested yet? I'm in a little Green Mazda. Say hello if we cross paths!

Comment

I'm going out tomorrow morning! Hope to kill one at my secret tall treed corner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dukslayer69 View Post
          I'm going out tomorrow morning! Hope to kill one at my secret tall treed corner

Gah I love hunting that secret corner! Always mystical giants running around there!

Comment

Originally posted by RedTail Hunter View Post
            Interesting reply above, but I beg to differ. As hunters we share the same passion, and with hunting numbers decreasing we should be looking for ways to encourage people to hunt and become hunters. High license and permit fees preclude this. Case in point. Look at Missouri. Missouri charges Texans $75 for an archery tag. You get two deer tags and two turkey tags. Let's look at New York State. How much do you think.......$100 for a non-resident. My point is not to belittle Texas but to make it more hunter friendly from a financial standpoint. God Bless Texas!!
            Back to the thread theme! Any deer photos or deer harvested yet? I'm in a little Green Mazda. Say hello if we cross paths!
            This is a bit misleading - Archery fee, Gun fee, doe tags, what about Turkey, small game, etc? I've hunted NY many times as a non-res and it is reasonable if you are taking a week trip for deer (no guarantee for doe tag), but Texas non-res provides much greater variety for that $300ish fee.

Comment

Originally posted by topshot View Post
              This is a bit misleading - Archery fee, Gun fee, doe tags, what about Turkey, small game, etc? I've hunted NY many times as a non-res and it is reasonable if you are taking a week trip for deer (no guarantee for doe tag), but Texas non-res provides much greater variety for that $300ish fee.
              Missouri non-resident archery is 225 is for 2 deer and 2 turkey. You then have to get a rifle tag for 225 that gets you one deer. You can buy doe permits for another 25 once you have the rifle tag. As you can see, it adds up to be much more than Texas and doesn't include all the means and methods. Texas tag will get you hunting with any method from oct to jan, 5 deer and 4 turkey. Seems like a much better deal.
              I understand your point though, I wish there was a cheaper process to hunt other states but I guess each state is just trying to protect their own hunters. Prices are one of the reasons I haven't been able to go back to Colorado to hunt. Miss those mountains.

Comment

Originally posted by acearrow View Post
                Missouri non-resident archery is 225 is for 2 deer and 2 turkey. You then have to get a rifle tag for 225 that gets you one deer. You can buy doe permits for another 25 once you have the rifle tag. As you can see, it adds up to be much more than Texas and doesn't include all the means and methods. Texas tag will get you hunting with any method from oct to jan, 5 deer and 4 turkey. Seems like a much better deal.

I understand your point though, I wish there was a cheaper process to hunt other states but I guess each state is just trying to protect their own hunters. Prices are one of the reasons I haven't been able to go back to Colorado to hunt. Miss those mountains.

Moving to Colorado in December. Super bummed to leave cause of what I have here for hunting so close to home. What kind of hunting did you do up there?

Comment

Originally posted by acearrow View Post
                  Ace,

You are correct. The Missouri Non-Resident Archery tag is $225. My internet info was old concerning Mo permit fees but I still feel $315 and $225 is a little much. Thanks for the correction and understandings. I think as hunters we need to look out for each other and reach a balance on our conservation efforts/wallets. I don't want to Hijack this thread, so I will leave it at that.
                  I would much rather hear about your honey holes and see pics.

Comment

Here's a pic to stop the license Commotion
                    First deer with a bow I killed at grapevine last year

Comment

Switchback?

Comment

Don't have any honey holes at grapevine. Did manage to take a very wide 8pt at Grapevine two years ago just to have the wife outdo me with a 10. I never seemed to see as many as some talk about out there. Spent many sits never seeing a deer. My best spot was just inside the woods near a clearing and they would come by right at dark. My 8 was walking the edge of the clearing when I took him at about 30yds. You should be able to spot some trails out there now. Would think after the die off from the flood, any well used trail would not have grown back up like the rest of it. Park on a trail and put your time in. Second year in a row I have not been drawn and missing it.
                        BTW, if you use a bike out there, lock it up. Three years ago, I had two stolen before I got smart enough to lock them up.
                        Last edited by acearrow; 10-12-2016, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dukslayer69 View Post
                          Moving to Colorado in December. Super bummed to leave cause of what I have here for hunting so close to home. What kind of hunting did you do up there?

We went muley hunting outside of Gunnison. Got an elk tag the last year I went when they were still 250 and over the counter. It was for a bull and I only saw cows.
                          Hopefully you can let the air out of a Grapevine deer before you leave in December. There were some dogs chasing deer on the east side of 377 a couple years ago. Don't know if those dogs are still running around out there. They did manage to chase a very nice one my direction one time though.

Comment

Originally posted by RedTail Hunter View Post
                            I spoke with the Corps of Engineers a month ago, and they stated there were outfits contracted to trap wild hogs on corps property. The corps been getting complaints to their office.
                            I am really bummed about the non-resident hunting fees Texas charges. The fee for a non-resident is $315. Wow! That is expensive but I will pay it on Friday when I get paid. So I have been unable to hunt as of today.. Big downer! If anybody has any influence, please ask Texas to lower these fees to something more acceptable.
                            Colorado and Utah are much more. If you don't want to contribute to TPWD to better the wildlife and hunting opportunities in Texas then don't hunt here

Comment

Getting out in the morning. Will give updates

Comment

Tuned in.

Comment

Working...
                                X