Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How old were your kids when you first took them hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took my kids hunting with me probably around 4-5. Almost on every trip. I did not let themselves shoot a deer until eight or nine. I wanted them to be old enough to know what they were doing (killing an animal) and to want to shoot the deer not to just shoot a deer because I wanted them to.

Comment

Dad wasn’t much of a hunter but after thinking I might be interested he took me as a 9 yr old and my 6 yr old brother. I remember sitting on the window ledge of the treehouse type blind near Dubach, Louisiana and very loudly asking when we would see some deer.

Comment

I take my son camping at 2.5 yrs old, but im guessing ge wont be ready to go hunting till 4-5

Comment

Daughter in the woods with me from 2 on. Shot her first deer at 6. Its in her blood to hunt she has her own stand and goes by herself, 20 now.
          Still slow in the skinning but can get it done.

Comment

When my girls were small, I'd take them to the stand with me because it was MY weekend and I couldn't & wouldn't take 'em anywhere else during deer season. Tess was 5 & Elizabeth was 2. (They're 32 & 29, now) We were all in a 4x4 box...it was cozy.

Comment

Around 4 when they started going with me, I think around 9 when they killed there first.

Comment

First 23 years of my life were spent living on my family’s ranch where we hunt. Can’t remember when I first started hunting with my dad or uncles, too young. But I know I was out running around the woods with a pellet gun alone when I was 7 or 8 and a 22 a couple years after that; back before there were many hogs in east Texas. Couple years after that, I was deer hunting alone.

Start em as early as you can. God willing i’ll be in your shoes soon. One piece of advice i learned from taking out my much younger and citified cousins is, expect to be underwhelmed by their ability to be quiet and stare at the field/trees in awe like you probably are able to do.

Comment

With fishing it was when they could walk reasonably well. Hunting dove the same. But with Deer it wasn't until my son was 5 cause he finally learned to be quiet...some what!

Comment

My boy was 5 when I started taking him hunting. He shot his first doe at 7 years old.

Comment

My daughter was 3 and my son 2 on their first trips

Comment

mine was 3 and glad I did .

Comment

Son was 4

Comment

8. He didn’t care to go before that. Didn’t wanna push him. Now he loves it.

Comment

We don't have kids, but I took all my nephews and nieces hunting that wanted to go. Back in PA the legal age was 12, and they didn't have youth mentor days like they do now. So even though when they were younger they could come along and watch, they couldn't hunt until they hit 12 and passed hunter ed.

Comment

They all went dove hunting when they were just todling around. They were in the outdoors since birth.

Comment

Working...
                                X