I need a fire chief/inspector for ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a fire chief/inspector for ??

I need a chief or inspector familiar with the codes for the 2015 International Fire Code. Please respond or PM me as I have questions regarding definitions and code application/interpretation.
    Thank you

You may want to ask your question for us to see.

I deal with fire marshal’s and building codes a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
      You may want to ask your question for us to see.

I deal with fire marshal’s and building codes a lot.
      Same here. Post your questions.

Comment

Attempting to open a 2nd retail location. The current interim FC is stating that we can not have product any closer than 2' to the ceiling. He using section 315 as his basis for the interpretation. Yet section 314 for indoor displays has no such limitations. From my limited research today we would be definition Mercantile Group M. I do not find a definition stating what a Storage facility is declared as. We are classified as Retail in our lease. We do not have sprinklers. Basically his interpretation will shut this expansion down.

Comment

If you building is sprinkled there is a limitation on the height of items that can be stacked or within a certain distance from the ceiling. The limit in my area is 18 inches. In section 314 is there a listed exception for indor displays? If not listed as an exception you will probably have to comply. Of course everything is subject to the AHJ. He can always require more than "code". Code is only a minimal guideline.

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
            If you building is sprinkled there is a limitation on the height of items that can be stacked or within a certain distance from the ceiling. The limit in my area is 18 inches. In section 314 is there a listed exception for indor displays? If not listed as an exception you will probably have to comply. Of course everything is subject to the AHJ. He can always require more than "code". Code is only a minimal guideline.
            They are just doing there job. Remove the stuff from top shelf. Get green tag, and C.O. Return items to shelf?

Comment

I’ve never done retail before but I can ask one of my PE’s to look in to it.

Comment

And look up the 2017 code. But each county has some of their own add ins

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
                  Respectfully, FM's aren't always known for truly understanding code. I'd politely ask him for his reasoning and point out that you don't have sprinklers so obstruction isn't a concern. What commodity are you stacking? Textiles?

Most Fire Marshals are pretty cool if you are reasonable and honest. I echo some of the other responses and would just remove the top shelf.

Comment

Our City follows 2015 code, I am not sure that knowing the 2017 will affect anything. We were in this retail location 2 years ago with no issues from previous FC and city followed the same 2015 code. I understand the 18" requirement for sprinklers, that's only common sense for the spray pattern. This is an old building from the 50'era with low ceilings, this is why the 2' rule from ceiling will kill this place for retail. Basically product will not be able to displayed above the light switch's for each room for reference. This location also has built in shelving to the ceiling which seems odd that we can not use now. Since my first post we have arranged a meeting at the location 9am in the morning with the FC to discuss options.
                    Basically it boils down to interpretation of the code. The previous Fire Chief had no issue's and now the current one seems too.
                    I need to state for clarification that I understand he is just doing his job. If this is going to be enforced on one, then it needs to be enforced across all business's.
                    I need to clarify that this facility does not have sprinklers.
                    Last edited by brushtrooper; 06-14-2018, 08:37 PM.

Comment

I have been in big box retail for 24 years on the merchandising and store design side. I can tell you to make friends with the inspector or Marshall wherever you are and come to a compromise. They can and will make your life miserable if not cooperative. Fact is...they can shut you down based on their interpretation. San Antonio is one of the worst!

You may ask about different fixturing to allow more water flow over merchandise in case there is a fire. Based on my experience that has been a reasonable compromise in several instances.
                      Last edited by captainsling; 06-14-2018, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the advice and a place to vent. We met and he agreed with our low ceilings that posed a problem. We came to a compromise that works for both of us and he was very easy to work with. We do need to add emergency lighting, lighted exit signs and few other things to be in compliance. All in all it was a good meeting and the FC.

Comment

Working...
                        X