No announcement yet.

Help with high cholesterol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quit going to the doctor and finding out that crap..

Comment

Originally posted by Eric T. View Post

hahaha!! classic!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
        Yessir. And It won't rot ur liver out!
        I think I need off the statins. Going to see how it works for me.

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
        Diet is going to be huge, as well as exercise. Just like mentioned above.

Eat like a diabetic.

No sugars or fried foods; stick with fruits and veggies, good meats. Nuts are a good thing.

No soda. No booze. No candy or desserts.

Add in a little activity, and that will help move things along.

All that said, some folks seem to be genetically predisposed to have high cholesterol numbers. I have a buddy that is a cyclist, extremely low body fat, eats nothing but fresh organic foods, and still has to take meds for his cholesterol.
        Might as well jump off a high bridge into a dry lake. That's how I eat for the most part anyway. Exercise? Hmmm....

Comment

Originally posted by Waggoner View Post
          Nurse at my doctors office said to take Omega 3 fish oil, which I already was taking and to try Niacin flush free.
          Or you could just work out with the nurse

Comment

I'm not jumping on either side of the cholesterol argument, but if/when I ever am in a position to give it serious consideration, this will be my approach..

The Insanity of Lowering Cholesterol

Sally Fallon, the president of the Weston A. Price Foundation, and Mary Enig, Ph.D, an expert in lipid biochemistry, have gone so far as to call high cholesterol "an invented disease, a 'problem' that emerged when health professionals learned how to measure cholesterol levels in the blood."3 And this explanation is spot on. If you have increased levels of cholesterol, it is at least in part because of increased inflammation in your body. The cholesterol is there to do a job: help your body to heal and repair.

Conventional medicine misses the boat entirely when they dangerously recommend that lowering cholesterol with drugs is the way to reduce your risk of heart attacks, because what is actually needed is to address whatever is causing your body damage -- and leading to increased inflammation and then increased cholesterol. As Dr. Rosedale so rightly points out:

"If excessive damage is occurring such that it is necessary to distribute extra cholesterol through the bloodstream, it would not seem very wise to merely lower the cholesterol and forget about why it is there in the first place. It would seem much smarter to reduce the extra need for the cholesterol -- the excessive damage that is occurring, the reason for the chronic inflammation."

I'll discuss how to do this later in the report, but first let's take a look at the dangers of low cholesterol -- and how it came to be that cholesterol levels needed to be so low in the first place.

How to Lower Inflammation, and Thereby Your Risk of Heart Disease, Naturally

There is a major misconception that you must avoid foods like eggs and saturated fat to protect your heart. While it's true that fats from animal sources contain cholesterol, I've explained earlier in this article why this should not scare you -- but I'll explain even further here. This misguided principle is based on the "lipid hypothesis" -- developed in the 1950s by nutrition pioneer Ancel Keys -- that linked dietary fat to coronary heart disease. The nutrition community of that time completely accepted the hypothesis, and encouraged the public to cut out butter, red meat, animal fats, eggs, dairy and other "artery-clogging" fats from their diets -- a radical change at that time.

What you may not know is that when Keys published his analysis that claimed to prove the link between dietary fats and coronary heart disease, he selectively analyzed information from only six countries to prove his correlation, rather than comparing all the data available at the time -- from 22 countries. As a result of this "cherry-picked" data, government health organizations began bombarding the public with advice that has contributed to the diabetes and obesity epidemics going on today: eat a low-fat diet. Not surprisingly, numerous studies have actually shown that Keys' theory was wrong and saturated fats are healthy, including these studies from Fallon and Enig's classic article The Skinny on Fats:22
            •A survey of South Carolina adults found no correlation of blood cholesterol levels with "bad" dietary habits, such as use of red meat, animal fats, fried foods, butter, eggs, whole milk, bacon, sausage and cheese.23
            •A Medical Research Council survey showed that men eating butter ran half the risk of developing heart disease as those using margarine.24

Of course, as Americans cut out nutritious animal fats from their diets, they were left hungry. So they began eating more processed grains, more vegetable oils, and more high-fructose corn syrup, all of which are nutritional disasters. It is this latter type of diet that will eventually lead to increased inflammation, and therefore cholesterol, in your body. So don't let anyone scare you away from saturated fat anymore. Chronic inflammation is actually caused by a laundry list of items such as:
            •Oxidized cholesterol (cholesterol that has gone rancid, such as that from overcooked, scrambled eggs)
            •Eating lots of sugar and grains
            •Eating foods cooked at high temperatures
            •Eating trans fats
            •A sedentary lifestyle
            •Smoking
            •Emotional stress

So to sum it all up, in order to lower your inflammation and cholesterol levels naturally, you must address the items on this list.

How to Lower Your Cholesterol Naturally...

1.Make sure you're getting plenty of high-quality, animal-based omega3-fats. I prefer those from krill oil. New research suggests that as little as 500 mg may lower your total cholesterol and triglycerides and will likely increase your HDL cholesterol.
            2.Reduce, with the plan of eliminating, grains and sugars in your daily diet. It is especially important to eliminate dangerous sugars such as fructose. If your HDL/Cholesterol ratio is abnormal and needs to be improved it would also serve you well to virtually eliminate fruits from your diet, as that it also a source of fructose. Once your cholesterol improves you can gradually reintroduce it to levels that don't raise your cholesterol.
            3.Eat the right foods for your nutritional type. You can learn your nutritional type by taking our FREE test.
            4.Eat a good portion of your food raw.
            5.Eat healthy, preferably raw, fats that correspond to your nutritional type. This includes:
            ◦Olive and olive oil
            ◦ Coconut and coconut oil
            ◦Organic raw dairy products (including butter, cream, sour cream, cheese, etc.)
            ◦Avocados
            ◦Raw nuts
            ◦Seeds
            ◦Eggs (lightly cooked with yolks intact or raw)
            ◦Organic, grass-fed meats
            6.Get the right amount of exercise, especially Peak Fitness type of exercise. When you exercise you increase your circulation and the blood flow throughout your body. The components of your immune system are also better circulated, which means your immune system has a better chance of fighting an illness before it has the opportunity to spread.
            7.Avoid smoking and drinking excessive amounts of alcohol.
            8.Address your emotional challenges. I particularly love the Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) for stress management.

So there you have it; the reasons why high cholesterol is a worry that many of you simply do not need to have, along with a simple plan to optimize yours. If someone you love is currently taking cholesterol-lowering drugs, I urge you to share this information with them as well, and take advantage of the thousands of free pages of information on www.Mercola.com. For the majority of you reading this right now, there's no reason to risk your health with cholesterol-lowering drugs. With the plan I've just outlined, you'll achieve the cholesterol levels you were meant to have, along with the very welcome "side effects" of increased energy, mood and mental clarity.

Too good to be true? Hardly. For the vast majority of people, making a few lifestyle changes causes healthy cholesterol levels to naturally occur. As always, your health really is in your hands. Now it's up to you to take control -- and shape it into something great.

Comment

I tried all the above for 1 year to avoid taking medicine for high cholesterol and I still had to take meds, could not get the count low enough. Doctor told me to I could try to fight taking meds by diet and exercise and still loose the battle or take the meds and eat what I want. I chose to eat what I wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
                Work out and diet
                x2! That is it

Comment

Originally posted by Eric T. View Post
                  Yep.
                  Have spent 5 years taking all the junk to protect my heart from another heart attack, and the last year having Doctors take me off drugs due to results of better research on the original drug benefit claims.

Comment

Help with high cholesterol

Originally posted by elkbowhunter View Post
                    dang...might as well call it a day. You sure thats not what they eat in hell?

Originally posted by Electrican View Post
                    Im pretty sure this sums it up to dont eat/drink anything. Not much left to choose from.

I found out I was diabetic (type 2) a few months ago. It was a bit of a shock to find out, but then again not so much since I was feeling like poo, and knew I wasn't doing the right things.

My doctor gave me a long lecture, and covered a bunch of the stuff that Tim H posted above.

Basically, quit eating all the processed crap, and get more exercise. We eat a bunch of fresh veggies and meats, and I always have a jar of nuts in my office as a snack.

I gave up booze 9 years ago, so no adjustment there. Soda, I gave up last year. Now I drink tea, coffee, milk and water.

I won't lie, it was difficult giving up all the yummy stuff. Since finding out, I've dropped 30 lbs, my cholesterol is down to an acceptable level, my blood pressure has gone down to a much safer level, my blood sugar is much more stable, and I do feel quite a bit better.

I don't exercise nearly like I should. That is my new priority, and it is proving tougher than I imagined.

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
                      Work out and diet
                      X2

...but people are lazy and they will go with supplements, black magic and all sorts of internet lies and health pseudo science.

Comment

I got put in prescription crap. It kinda sorta worked. Started taking red krill oil and dropped the meds. After 3 months my triglycerides dropped almost in half and my bad cholesterol dropped to the top of range from way up.
                        ^^This. Worked for my husband too.

Comment

Umm might want to ask your doctor. Just a though!

Comment

I got put in prescription crap. It kinda sorta worked. Started taking red krill oil and dropped the meds. After 3 months my triglycerides dropped almost in half and my bad cholesterol dropped to the top of range from way up.
                            300 pounds of zebra meat ought to restore your health down to a 16 year old level!

Comment

Originally posted by tgridley View Post
                              Umm might want to ask your doctor. Just a though!

Umm mine put me on that prescription junk that didn't work.

Comment

I'm still a type 2 diabetic and was put also on Crestor 3 years ago. I have lost 40+lbs, reduced my insulin dramatically but still taking the meds prescribed. The last year my Doc has given me A+ lab reports and instead of going every quarter, now only every 6 months. My next appointment is in June and I hope he will agree to take me off some of them. Good luck and whatever you do, don't ignore it, lose weight if you need to and best of luck to you. Oh, did not catch your age? I'm 61, had hip replacement that was not the BEST and two bad shoulders so a little limited with what I can do to exercise, but I do in specific ways. One thing I really learned, finally, you can live a wild life (I have) but if you take it for granted it WILL catch up to you....it did me!

Comment

Working...
                                X