No announcement yet.

Tips on starting a new career

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kinda agree with tx ag as much as I hate to admit it.

Comment

Originally posted by ckamp52 View Post
      that's the issue now is that most people I know are in the same job field. I am 35 with a family so it is difficult to take the initial financial hit most jobs would take to start over. I never intended to be in the field I am in so while it provides for my family, I always wonder what else is out there that would allow me to provide better for my family and our future

I have been in the oilfield the last 7 years after I got out of college. I have been in our chemical department the last 3.5 years. I have a bachelors degree (agriculture extension and industry) Never used the multi quote feature, so I hope I didn't butcher it too bad

Dang man...come see me. I’m in the chemical business (Midlothian) and always hear of new opportunities. You can always pursue a different role in a similar industry. This would allow you to leverage your experience while still pursuing something new. Just a thought!

Comment

I am just stagnate within the company. I progressed quickly and then just as I was set to move into management it all slowed down. Now I just get passed around form department to department when they need things fixed. I'm the guy they know they can call on to get things done and done right but they wont move up because then I wouldn't be able to move around as much. I enjoy the chemical aspect of it. I just want something challenging where I can constantly learn and be engaged and feel like it is appreciated. I just want to have the ability to purchase some land and have my kids grow up like I did and in order to do that I need to find something that makes more money. I just don't know what my opportunities are. I always tell my wife I am going to just go knock on peoples doors that have nice places and ask what profession they were in to get them. I hate to admit it but I have difficulties finding interests due to depression. might not have admitted that but it is what it is

I am just stagnate within the company. I progressed quickly and then just as I was set to move into management it all slowed down. Now I just get passed around form department to department when they need things fixed. I'm the guy they know they can call on to get things done and done right but they wont move up because then I wouldn't be able to move around as much.

^^^^^^ This right here is the reason I was fixing to start looking elsewhere at the age of 32. I had been with my company for 12 years and with a 3% annual raise I wasn’t going to get anywhere close to where I wanted to be financially by the time I hit 40. I heard a sales position had opened up and I talked with the sales manager about the position and he gave me a chance. That was the best decision I have ever made in my life. In six months I doubled my income from the previous year and traded 55 to 60 hr work weeks to under 40 hr work weeks. I went from getting up at 4:45 to 6:45, wearing work boots and a uniform to dress shoes and suits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
          If you are truly depressed, then seek medical help. If you're just in a rut, then open your eyes and look at the world around you. You likely have it better than 95% of the world.

I'm not saying you shouldn't have ambition, but sometimes you don't realize how good you have it. If you are good at your job, with low stress, healthcare, and adequate income...that counts for a lot. Especially, if you have a young family that needs all your extra energy and attention.
          I have been addressing the depression for many years and I agree I have it better than a good portion of the world and I am appreciative. I always say it is hard to leave due to having good insurance and 401k etc. O should say that the company I was working for got bought out by another that typically flips their assets within 5-7 years so most of this is just being proactive. I appreciate your input

Comment

Originally posted by Buckley99 View Post
            [/B]

Dang man...come see me. I’m in the chemical business (Midlothian) and always hear of new opportunities. You can always pursue a different role in a similar industry. This would allow you to leverage your experience while still pursuing something new. Just a thought!
            It would be great to talk to someone in the industry that could shed some light on other opportunities as well as meeting a fellow tbh'r. Thank you

Comment

It would be great to talk to someone in the industry that could shed some light on other opportunities as well as meeting a fellow tbh'r. Thank you
              PM me and we’ll find time to connect.

Comment

Working...
              X