No announcement yet.

Tips on starting a new career

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just listened to a good podcast ($100 MBA) and the topic was “Dig the well before you are thirsty”, translate- network before you need it. It ended with a question and a challenge. “If you lost your job today, who are the 1st 10 people you would reach out to?” Once that list is compiled, reach out to them now, don’t wait til you need them or are actually in that spot. See how they are, offer to take them out to lunch, cultivate those relationships.

I thought it was a good challenge, I have 6 of 10 listed, need to finish out the list and reach out to folks

Comment

I used what I consider an odd approach when I started searching for a different career. I was building wind farms and traveling like 300 days a year. Got engaged and wanted off the road. I didn't know what I wanted to do but knew what area o wanted to live in. So I started paying attention to company names and logos on trucks and what not. Then in the evenings I'd look up the company and what they did and what positions they were hiring for. I used indeed in a lot of job searching too. I bet I filled out applications and sent resumes to 50 companies. Out of that I had probably 12-15 phone interviews. Most didn't pay what I was looking for. But I got 6 or 7 face to face interviews and 2 job offers, at basically the same time. One with a frac sand plant and one with an electric utility company. I took the electric because I felt I could excell at that job faster and did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Look at where you want to be in 5, 10, 15 years. Then work backwards on what you need to do in the short term to get there.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
          What is it you don't like at your current gig?

What peaks your interest?
          I am just stagnate within the company. I progressed quickly and then just as I was set to move into management it all slowed down. Now I just get passed around form department to department when they need things fixed. I'm the guy they know they can call on to get things done and done right but they wont move up because then I wouldn't be able to move around as much. I enjoy the chemical aspect of it. I just want something challenging where I can constantly learn and be engaged and feel like it is appreciated. I just want to have the ability to purchase some land and have my kids grow up like I did and in order to do that I need to find something that makes more money. I just don't know what my opportunities are. I always tell my wife I am going to just go knock on peoples doors that have nice places and ask what profession they were in to get them. I hate to admit it but I have difficulties finding interests due to depression. might not have admitted that but it is what it is

Comment

Don't be scared. Don't depend on the financial obstacle... I made a jump less than a year ago and I am a very blessed man. Took almost a $80k annual pay cut!!! Pray about the change and benefit it will bring!!! It will happen when it's supposed to!!!

Comment

Is it to late to married a rich woman?

Comment

If you step out of the US and come back in as a refugee, they might give you a house and truck.

Comment

Originally posted by ckamp52 View Post
                  I am just stagnate within the company. I progressed quickly and then just as I was set to move into management it all slowed down. Now I just get passed around form department to department when they need things fixed. I'm the guy they know they can call on to get things done and done right but they wont move up because then I wouldn't be able to move around as much. I enjoy the chemical aspect of it. I just want something challenging where I can constantly learn and be engaged and feel like it is appreciated. I just want to have the ability to purchase some land and have my kids grow up like I did and in order to do that I need to find something that makes more money. I just don't know what my opportunities are. I always tell my wife I am going to just go knock on peoples doors that have nice places and ask what profession they were in to get them. I hate to admit it but I have difficulties finding interests due to depression. might not have admitted that but it is what it is
                  Talk with management and ask them what their plans are for moving you into a management position (BTW: Management positions arn't all that glamorous). If their answer isn't acceptable than it's time to really consider your options.

Comment

I too am searching.

I'll be 47 in July.

I've been in the Transportation (trucking) Industry since I got out of the Corps in 1993.
                    Mostly as a driver. I've done a bunch of different things.

The last 5.5 I've been at a trailer repair shop. I was hoping to move up in the company. I did briefly but now I'm back being on the bottom and I'm not liking it.

Comment

Look at jobs that require the same or similar skillsets required for your current job. A skillset is not just a trade. It can be managing people, dealing with confrontation, be sociable. If you've got the gift of gab, you might be a good salesman. If you work well leading teams, you might be a good shop foreman, job captain, project manager.

Also, there is always the option of starting your own thing. Develop a business plan that seriously considers benchmark financial goals, and reach out to banks or credit unions for an SBA loan. You don't always have to have the money out of pocket.

Just a couple ideas...

Comment

I'm going to throw a "hitch" at you and make it even more difficult:

Started out in Law Enforcement right out college....fun and exciting for several years then got tired of weekends, nights, etc., etc. Then mixed in being a Paramedic/Tactical and even that finally got old with the same requirements

Entered Pharmaceutical the Biotech sales...made a LOT of $$ but soon got bored and hated it at the end. In this industry as you get older and don't have the "preferred" body type and make too much base salary...well, the days are numbered. When's the last time you saw a OLD guy at your Doctor's office with the detail bag?

So, started "dabbling" in Real Estate part time. The went full time in land sales and stayed in it until I retired this past November. THAT was a real challenge..did not get paid unless I sold but the national land company I worked for furnished everything and also offered benefits. I made as much selling what I loved to do than I made dealing with the continuing declining medical industry.

Point is...what do YOU believe you can do and enjoy?? Many have started new careers and struggled until they either made it or didn't? Just research, research more and most of all...you have to SELL YOURSELF in any change. Then pay your dues and be the TOP wherever you land!! Good luck and remember....Sam Walton went bankrupt several times but NEVER gave up....oh, Walmart??

Comment

Originally posted by ckamp52 View Post

If you are truly depressed, then seek medical help. If you're just in a rut, then open your eyes and look at the world around you. You likely have it better than 95% of the world.

I'm not saying you shouldn't have ambition, but sometimes you don't realize how good you have it. If you are good at your job, with low stress, healthcare, and adequate income...that counts for a lot. Especially, if you have a young family that needs all your extra energy and attention.

Comment

And reasons such as this thread is why the company I worked for 34 plus years changed their entire benefits package several years ago. Because their studies said future employees will change jobs every 5 to 7 years. The changes that were made weren't better for long term employees either.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                              If you are truly depressed, then seek medical help. If you're just in a rut, then open your eyes and look at the world around you. You likely have it better than 95% of the world.

I'm not saying you shouldn't have ambition, but sometimes you don't realize how good you have it. If you are good at your job, with low stress, healthcare, and adequate income...that counts for a lot. Especially, if you have a young family that needs all your extra energy and attention.
                              You may be on to something.

Comment

Be honest with yourself and ask why someone should hire you and know that happiness usually isn't found at work. I'm not saying all workers are unhappy, but every job is still a job.

Comment

Working...
                                X