Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
    Bruce,
    I can only assume that much of the cost associated with your feeder is in the hopper itself. This, due to the obvious size and space allocated for the materials (which also plays a factor and challenge with shipping) as well as the overall fabrication of said hopper? Call me crazy but I’m sure you’ve tried to factor in a way to sell or market JUST the lower unit or mechanical portion itself? That’s obviously where the value in your feeder design lies. Is this not an option at this point?
    Seems you could reach a much larger audience if you could market just the “guts” of this thing and obviously cut down a major portion of the COGs not to mention the shipping challenges.
    You are partially correct..Hopper is a large part of the cost. However labor is also a factor. It's not just (the guts) that make it work. It is VERY specific and the hopper plays a role as well.

The first two of "this design" cost me $980 a piece without the timer and motor and they only worked half assed and that was a buddy deal!

Notice I said this design there were 7 previous designs that flat didn't work

I built an auger style
    I built a paddle wheel
    I built a spinner
    I built a stirrer
    4 different gravity style
    Then I got it!

The feeder just works.

Your right I'm not shipping these.

Because the feeder design is so specific I'm hesitant to make an adaptable piece to reach a larger market. It's too easy to mess it up and then my name is on it.

That plus the fact there is not another reliable Timed Rice Bran feeder out there. There are several that have failed though.

I'm also not in this to "get rich" - I have a real job. This all started because I wanted one for myself and to prove it could be done. Around revision seven I was doubting myself.

Revision 8 showed promise and revision 9 finally did it!

Comment

I looked at your website but didn't see pricing.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
        I looked at your website but didn't see pricing.

That is intentional as I was not happy with original pricing.

Last August they were $1200.00

Today they are $800.00

Comment

Well that isn't too bad.

Comment

If you have ever seen revision #9 it is impressive. I visited with Bruce at the TTHA show in Houston last year. Very informative. Product looks great. If I had the extra cash I would buy one. I have two kids in college though so for now I have to throw the rice bran on the ground.

Comment

Good thread. Question: Protein is fed to GROW antlers. Studies have consistently noted that feeding constantly (free feed) was the only way to get the results of maximum growth in the months that mattered most. Is this NOT correct? If so, why would we want to limit the amount of feed the deer can get. Or, did I miss that part?

Comment

With rice bran it's not about limiting so much as conserving and reducing waste. With this feeder you could leave it open and they could eat all they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                  Good thread. Question: Protein is fed to GROW antlers. Studies have consistently noted that feeding constantly (free feed) was the only way to get the results of maximum growth in the months that mattered most. Is this NOT correct? If so, why would we want to limit the amount of feed the deer can get. Or, did I miss that part?
                  I agree with what you've read. That's what I understand as well. IMO the timed feeders serve two purposes: 1. You can "train" the deer to come feed in the daytime.
                  2. You can save money by limiting the amount of feed you give them daily.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                    Rice Bran is high In Fat but only 12% protein.

Some use it to "finish out" show animals but in controlled amounts

It works very well though as an attractant. If you have never fed it put some out.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                      I agree with what you've read. That's what I understand as well. IMO the timed feeders serve two purposes: 1. You can "train" the deer to come feed in the daytime.
                      2. You can save money by limiting the amount of feed you give them daily.
                      Gotcha!!! I will look into this also. We are feeding full blown protein thru April/May. Then I could get one of these when the season starts and get them addicted during daylight.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                        With rice bran it's not about limiting so much as conserving and reducing waste. With this feeder you could leave it open and they could eat all they want.
                        True!

As a test this year I tried to make a gen 8 feeder fail.

I filled the feeder January 1st and only had it open and close 5 mins later - just enough to dust the trough.

I was trying to do three things.

1. Make the feeder gum up/clog do to limited flow and moisture

2. Cause the feed to spoil due to moisture content in the feed.

3. See how much or how little I could feed to keep them coming.

That feeder finally ran dry 12 months later - December 15th

1. The feeder never failed

2. The feeder actually dried / baked the feed. It got weavels but it didn't spoil - deer don't mind weavels

3. 12 months 1 filling - that is extreme stretching of the dollar. Deer still came every day. If they weren't quick enough to be first or second they still licked the trough.

When I was putting it in totes I was feeding 100 lbs a week.

Comment

How tall is the feeder? Too tall to be stand and fill I assume? Are the gen 8 ones $800? That price is more appealing than the $1,200 I saw when I first looked at them. Not criticizing your price at all. It's my pocket book that's the issue

Have you considered adding a rain sensor or is the rain really not an issue? IMO a rain sensor would help prevent some loss and hardening of the bran. I think you have made the best product so far to feed the rice bran with.

Comment

I bought one last year at the Houston TTHA show, its been great so far!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Rice Bran

Originally posted by Archery1st View Post
                              Rice Bran is high In Fat but only 12% protein.

Some use it to "finish out" show animals but in controlled amounts

It works very well though as an attractant. If you have never fed it put some out.
                              Glad you mentioned that cause I was gona...thx

Comment

They work 100%. I spent way more putting out hundreds of pounds of rice bran on the ground and having it disappear in a week. Having something you know brings them consistently and doesn't get emptied out in a week is worth its weight in gold to me..

Comment

Working...
                                X