Fortress Timed Rice Bran Feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
    Price aint no big deal with you high rollers!
    You must have me confused with someone else

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
      Are there any TBH'ers that own one? I'd like some real feedback on these from someone that's not trying to sell it to me. Do they work as reliably as advertised? What about on rainy days? Any info would be appreciated. I'm really considering getting one because I haven't found a good way to consistently feed rice bran. I've tried the auger type feeders and they are junk. Most gravity feed ones will bridge up. Supposedly this is not an issue with the Fortress feeder. They are not cheap, so I want to know what those who own the feeder really think of it.
      If I agree not to sell you one can I answer you questions?

Comment

Originally posted by Archery1st View Post
        If I agree not to sell you one can I answer you questions?
        Lol. Ok. Please do

If I decide to buy one from you it will be strictly coincidental

Comment

Any idea about rainy days? That powder can't flow into the pan if its wet I don't think. I'm hoping to find some TBH'ers that have bought them.
          The amount of feed dropped will very based upon moisture absolutely.

If it's dry 4-5 lbs of Rice bran per feeding.

If it's drizzling or has just stopped raining 2-3 lbs..

If it is raining cats and dogs what does drop will wash out of the pan.

If it has just fed and it rains the moisture will leak out of the 4-5" weep holes in the corners of the trough and the deer don't care if the feed is wet.

The trough will be a mess after a heavy rain 100%..just like putting it on the ground or in a tote. However the deer don't care.

The catch is what is still in the hopper is still dry and will feed like normal the next feeding.

Now if you have a real heavy rain. 2"+ some moisture may wick back into the hopper 2-3"..However the next time it feeds the deer will eat that too just like sticking their nose in a protein tube.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
            Only thing besides the price I am concerned with is the trough catching a lot of water and turning into a nasty mess.
            Price is high 100% agree..however this stuff is a pain in the *** to feed reliably. The feeder as designed works.

Trust me I'm working on cheaper methods all the time. I have
            Have yet to find a cheaper method that works.

We have had nearly double our annual rain fall for the past two years on the ranch. I have seen the complete trough full of water and feed soup. The next day the trough was clean as could be. What didn't leak out the deer either ate or the coons cleaned up what was remaining in the trough.

However a coon 100% can not get to the hopper where the remaining feed is.

Comment

Serious question - If I built a smaller one the deer had to eat out of instead a trough, but I could shave a couple hundred off the cost is that something you guys want?

Comment

Its no doubt a great product but Honestly cost is probably the biggest issue on these. My other suggestion would be to just have it dump on the ground instead of a trough. That way rain gathering up is not an issue. Someone can easily lay some hardi board or such on the ground to keep it out of the dirt and rocks.

Just my .02
                I feed alot of rice bran and I would love to have an automated feeder, just can't bring myself to write that check.

Comment

Serious question - If I built a smaller one the deer had to eat out of instead a trough, but I could shave a couple hundred off the cost is that something you guys want?

If by smaller you mean holds less feed then no. 500lbs is fine by me.

Thanks for all the info Bruce. Have you added solar panels in them yet or is that something I will need to do later if I want one?
                  Last edited by AntlerCollector; 03-09-2018, 12:04 PM.

Comment

How much do the timed rice bran feeders cost?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

If by smaller you mean holds less feed then no. 500lbs is fine by me.

Thanks for all the info Bruce. Have you added solar panels in them yet or is that something I will need to do later if I want one?
                      You will want one and I can add it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by dope hunter View Post
                        how much do the timed rice bran feeders cost?

Sent from my sm-g955u using tapatalk
                        $800

Comment

That's about what you'd pay for a solid, timed protein feeder.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                            Its no doubt a great product but Honestly cost is probably the biggest issue on these. My other suggestion would be to just have it dump on the ground instead of a trough. That way rain gathering up is not an issue. Someone can easily lay some hardi board or such on the ground to keep it out of the dirt and rocks.

Just my .02
                            I feed alot of rice bran and I would love to have an automated feeder, just can't bring myself to write that check.

All the feed in the feeder would fall out then. These acuators are not fast like a spinner plate.. It opens in about 8=10 seconds, then can close a minute later. By that time all the rice brand would have dumped on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Krivoman View Post
                              All the feed in the feeder would fall out then. These acuators are not fast like a spinner plate.. It opens in about 8=10 seconds, then can close a minute later. By that time all the rice brand would have dumped on the ground.
                              Ahh gotcha

Comment

Bruce,
                                I can only assume that much of the cost associated with your feeder is in the hopper itself. This, due to the obvious size and space allocated for the materials (which also plays a factor and challenge with shipping) as well as the overall fabrication of said hopper? Call me crazy but I’m sure you’ve tried to factor in a way to sell or market JUST the lower unit or mechanical portion itself? That’s obviously where the value in your feeder design lies. Is this not an option at this point?
                                Seems you could reach a much larger audience if you could market just the “guts” of this thing and obviously cut down a major portion of the COGs not to mention the shipping challenges.

Comment

Working...
                                X